Viewer Comments: Broken Finger - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Finger:

Broken Finger - Treatment

How did you break your finger and what was the treatment?

Comment from: Playboy0512, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: May 17

I broke and fractured my right thumb in two separate places playing rugby recently, and went to the hospital as soon as I could. The doctor put a temporary cast on, then after two days when I went back, he put a bigger one on. Just a few days ago, he put an even bigger one which covers my whole thumb, palm, and forearm, up to my elbow. This has made me extremely immobile and I can't do the most trivial tasks like rolling my sleeves or straightening my collar. It is also very inconvenient because I had to take three exams with my cast on, and had to write with my left hand. Most of all, my thumb is constantly hurting because I wasn't given any painkillers to alleviate the pain.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 07

I broke the metacarpal bone of my right baby finger by hitting a door. The break was close to the metacarpal/proximal phalanx bone. It has been several months since the break, actually just over 12 months, and I cannot bend my baby finger to make a fist. It doesn't seem to want to bend at that knuckle joint. The bone was not set properly and is off-set slightly from a vertical perspective, if that makes sense. A second surgeon suggested that ligaments may have become stuck to the bone and that is preventing the full movement. I am due to have surgery again in a few days to cut the ligaments free.

Comment from: cat, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I injured my middle finger catching long pole. I felt pain immediately, but still had mobility in joint. Swelling was gradual over a couple hours, but then wouldn't go down even with ice and Tylenol. Naprosyn finally reduced swelling. Lingering pain and swelling led to getting x-ray three days after injury. Got results two and a half days later and they said non-displaced avulsion fracture of middle phalanx. Treatment so far has been light "day splint", Naprosyn, and ice.

Comment from: ratherBriding, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 09

I broke my left ring finger. I was walking out to the horses, and one yanked and pulled me through the other lead which had a knot at the end. It turns out I had a spiral fracture between the middle and bottom knuckle, plus I broke both of the knuckles. I was in a full cast four 4 weeks, then a splint for another 4. I did go back to occasional riding.

Comment from: annieskid, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I accidentally slammed a heavy front door on my pointer finger. X-rays showed it was broken, so the ER put a splint on it. The doctor said I'd need to wear splint for four weeks, but papers he gave me said 1 week to 10 days. The good news is I can take the splint off to bathe.

Comment from: Male (Patient) Published: April 30

I broke my finger while wrestling my coach at practice in the beginning of the season, but my team really needed me and I didn't want to be a wuss so I didn't get it checked out. It turns out that that's a very bad thing, because as I kept wrestling I kept re-breaking it. I finally got it x-rayed and it was in fact broken. The doctor said it was 80% healed already though, so it wouldn't be a problem now that wrestling was over.

Comment from: Angel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I had my right hand under the collar of my 190-lb great dane. We were at the park and she wanted to take off towards another dog. I had to hold her back. She jumped up and down forcefully. As she darted forward, my hand got caught under her collar she pulled me along, as I couldn't get my hand free. I fell face forward and had the wind knocked out of me as I hit my chest on the ground. My hand and fingers were throbbing with pain. They started swelling immediately. I waited to go to the doctor till the next morning. Put ice packs on my hand initially. My ring finger on the right hand was not just broken, but shattered badly. Plus I had a jammed knuckle on it too.

Comment from: BusyMum, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 29

I slammed my right index finger in the car door, hitting right below the first knuckle. The first X-ray revealed no fracture and it was just buddy strapped, but after a week with no improvement and a bony lump developing, I was told a second X-ray was needed. It turns out crush fractures (cracks and chips in the bone) often can't be seen in X-ray until later on. This is the most frustrating injury I've ever had - never realized how many things fingers are used for!

Comment from: McAwesome, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

Yesterday I was playing basketball in gym. We were playing 'dribble tag'. Anyway someone went to tag me and I went to tag them at the same time and I tripped and jammed my left middle finger on the basketball. I was in pain and went to the nurse the next period. I came home and my finger was swelled and bruised. My dad kept saying I jammed it. I went to the doctor today and got x-rays and they said I had a very tiny fracture. I have been soaking it in ice water and taking Motrin but the swelling still won't go down!

Must Read Articles Related to Broken Finger

Finger Infection
Finger Infection Finger infections can be caused by a variety of bacteria and viruses. Types of finger infections include paronychia, felon, herpetic whitlow, cellulitis, infect...learn more >>
Finger Injuries
Finger Injuries Finger injuries can vary from small cuts, lacerations, puncture wounds, broken bones, dislocations, sprains, strains, nerve injuries, jammed fingers, and animal...learn more >>
Hand Injuries
Hand Injuries Hand injuries can be divided into six categories. 1) cuts and lacerations, 2) fractures and dislocations, 3) soft tissue injuries and amputations, 4) infections...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Finger:

Broken Finger - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your broken finger?