Viewer Comments: Broken Finger - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Finger:

Broken Finger - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your broken finger?

Comment from: pj, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 06

I crushed the 4th distal phalanx (tip of ring finger) of my right hand. I unintentionally left it between two solid objects as the space reduced. Upside was finger burst open under nail thereby relieving pressure and allowing me to retrieve something. Downside was an open wound as well as a crushed bone. I stopped the bleeding, treated the wound, splinted the finger, changed the dressing, checked for infection, and repeated for 4 weeks. I hope to save the nail; time will tell.

Comment from: dumbell, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 02

I broke the tip of my right middle finger at the gym doing incline dumbbell presses. After the set, I brought the dumbbells down quickly to the floor. I didn't see the other dumbbells in the same spot and my finger was crushed perfectly between the two; clean break of the tip. I had horrible pain. Orthopedist said a pin would be needed to hold it in place as it was no longer lined up correctly. The 2 days after the procedure hurt worse than the incident itself. It has been three weeks and I have 3 more weeks to go until I can have the pin removed. Exercise with caution!

Comment from: Nancy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

I fell off my bike landing thumb first. It was painful, swollen and the thumbnail became dark. I thought it was throbbing because the blood behind my nail was causing pressure and just needed ice and an anti-inflammatory. Over 3 weeks later and still sore, I finally went to a hand specialist. A quick exam showed that the tip of my thumb was broken and the bone was trying to heal correctly. 6 more weeks and I am still in a splint and swollen. Try not using your writing hand thumb for over 9 weeks. I wish I had gone to my doctor and not waited so long.

Comment from: stacy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

My finger was actually going one way and hand was the other when I broke my finger.

Comment from: kayakeriowan, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 02

While driving my Tardis float in a parade and throwing candy out the window, I missed and managed to break the left index finger on the door frame. The break has been splinted (by self) for 3.5 weeks already, still problematic. It is halfway up the metacarpal, and slight nerve impingement is now evident. Reminder: always take the time and trouble to go to a doctor. Self-diagnosis is not a layman's job.

Comment from: GOPAL, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 16

My right hand ring finger was hurt while catching a cricket rubber ball (red). It happened some 15 years back. I had consulted my family doctor and he had suggested a minor operation of the finger. The bone below the nail is visible from both sides of the ring finger.

Comment from: joerun, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 29

I was tripped by two dogs when I was at 90 percent top speed, I fell and broke 4th and 5th fingers of my right hand. I went to emergency and they put a splint cast on.

Comment from: Meghan, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I fractured the knuckle of my middle finger while playing football. The knuckle was severely bruised and swollen and after a few days the whole finger had bruised.

Comment from: Reyla, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I broke my left ring finger when I was about 4. My uncle said I jammed it, so it was left untreated. I am almost 35 now. I have a knot on the side of my knuckle. My wedding rings are big because it has to go over knuckle. I have thought surgery to correct. I have heard people would never look the same.

Comment from: Jensfire1, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

I whacked my hand with a hammer. Symptoms? PAIN.

Comment from: johnny, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 05

My broken finger is the baby finger, and it is blue, green in color. It is swollen and hurts to bend.

Must Read Articles Related to Broken Finger

Finger Infection
Finger Infection Finger infections can be caused by a variety of bacteria and viruses. Types of finger infections include paronychia, felon, herpetic whitlow, cellulitis, infect...learn more >>
Finger Injuries
Finger Injuries Finger injuries can vary from:
Hand Injuries
Hand Injuries Hand injuries can be divided into six categories. 1) cuts and lacerations, 2) fractures and dislocations, 3) soft tissue injuries and amputations, 4) infections...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Finger:

Broken Finger - Treatment

How did you break your finger and what was the treatment?