Viewer Comments: Broken Finger - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Finger:

Broken Finger - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your broken finger?

Comment from: Nancy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

I fell off my bike landing thumb first. It was painful, swollen and the thumbnail became dark. I thought it was throbbing because the blood behind my nail was causing pressure and just needed ice and an anti-inflammatory. Over 3 weeks later and still sore, I finally went to a hand specialist. A quick exam showed that the tip of my thumb was broken and the bone was trying to heal correctly. 6 more weeks and I am still in a splint and swollen. Try not using your writing hand thumb for over 9 weeks. I wish I had gone to my doctor and not waited so long.

Comment from: Meghan, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I fractured the knuckle of my middle finger while playing football. The knuckle was severely bruised and swollen and after a few days the whole finger had bruised.

Comment from: Reyla, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I broke my left ring finger when I was about 4. My uncle said I jammed it, so it was left untreated. I am almost 35 now. I have a knot on the side of my knuckle. My wedding rings are big because it has to go over knuckle. I have thought surgery to correct. I have heard people would never look the same.

Comment from: Jensfire1, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

I whacked my hand with a hammer. Symptoms? PAIN.

Comment from: johnny, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 05

My broken finger is the baby finger, and it is blue, green in color. It is swollen and hurts to bend.

Comment from: farmer, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

Was putting a castrating ring on a calf and holding his back leg. While he was standing, he kicked my hand into a gate. It looked like last two fingers flattened. I have lots of bruising and swelling. It has been a week now and my hand is still black.

Comment from: Angel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I knew it was broken when that finger was going in the opposite direction it should have been going! Turned out that after X-rays, it was shattered badly. The pain was not as severe as the finger next to it, that finger was NOT broken, but had trauma and a jammed knuckle. That second finger is taking longer to heal and still hurts worse than the broken/shattered one, and it is three months later.

Comment from: cherry picker, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I fell from a ladder about 6-7 feet high and landed on my left hand and wrist. My middle and ring fingers are swollen and difficult to move and my wrist it looks like I have been in a fight.

Comment from: Willy Boy, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 08

I broke , my finger when I accidently smashed window on it!

Comment from: charles, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 31

A metal plate fell on hand and fracture my forefinger.

Comment from: allieandmom, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

When I broke my finger, I had numbness, swelling, and sharp pain. Unfortunately, there wasn't much that could be done about it.

Comment from: ang, Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I think I broke my finger 2 days ago after I fell while carrying a plant. My hand was crushed against a rock wall, and now I have pain, swelling and the (pinky) finger won't bend normally nor straighten, and it is kind of at a wrong angle. It doesn't look nor feel right. I would go get it checked but we have icy roads...

Comment from: 55-64 Female Published: March 30

Shooting pain and immediate bruising with my broken finger and swelling of the knuckle above it. There is a dip in the bone at the reddened site of the blow to the hand.

Must Read Articles Related to Broken Finger

Finger Infection
Finger Infection Finger infections can be caused by a variety of bacteria and viruses. Types of finger infections include paronychia, felon, herpetic whitlow, cellulitis, infect...learn more >>
Finger Injuries
Finger Injuries Finger injuries can vary from small cuts, lacerations, puncture wounds, broken bones, dislocations, sprains, strains, nerve injuries, jammed fingers, and animal...learn more >>
Hand Injuries
Hand Injuries Hand injuries can be divided into six categories. 1) cuts and lacerations, 2) fractures and dislocations, 3) soft tissue injuries and amputations, 4) infections...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Finger:

Broken Finger - Treatment

How did you break your finger and what was the treatment?