Viewer Comments: Broken Foot - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Foot:

Broken Foot - Treatment

How did you break your foot and what was the treatment?

Comment from: splash2, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I fractured the 5th metatarsal bone, right foot, while walking with very good sneakers on an unpaved road. My foot twisted outward when I stepped in a pothole. I had immediate pain when I took next step. This is a Jones fracture. I've been 5 weeks in a boot cast (removable), x-rays week 4 showed normal healing is taking place. I must wear a boot for 4 more weeks (Podiatrist said), using a wheelchair and walker, foot not touching ground. I was told no surgery. It is very tough not to walk or balance. I wasn't told about this. I was very active before this injury. Also was told since I am on Medicare, electric bone growth stimulator wouldn't be authorized. If I was wealthy or a sports figure, I would have had it and would have had my healing time cut in half!Very discriminating to be sure.

Comment from: jarem23, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 25

I broke my 5th metatarsal by dropping a 55 lb dumbbell on it weightlifting. My treatment so far has been bone growth stimulation and non weight bearing at all. It's been 3 weeks and I can walk, put pressure, and push off the broken foot. The swelling and bruising went away in 2 weeks, and I can resume practice in 1 week.

Comment from: XxDee26xX, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

Last summer I had an accident getting off a bus, the ground was cracked and I fell and broke my metatarsal. The pain I had then came back again, and now it hurts.

Comment from: Dot, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I suffer from osteoporosis and broke my left foot by simply making a misstep.

Comment from: dragondilly, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

Last year I had a bad fall and sprained my left ankle. I took things easy for a while until about 2 months ago when I slipped and fell again. This time I went to the doctor who told me it wasn't broken, only sprained again. However after 10 days of total rest and two more of ice and exercises, I went for a second opinion and a CT scan. The scan revealing that I actually had various fractures in the middle of my foot. I've been given a plastic boot and returned to my normal activities but I'm not sure if that was the right thing to do.

Comment from: cstuder33, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

It was 3 am and I had to go to the bathroom. I got out of bed not knowing my leg and foot was asleep. I stood up out of bed and next thing I know I was on the floor. I got up and didn't think anything of it. I walked to the bathroom and down stairs. My foot never bruised, hurt, or swelled. I had to go to work that morning so I figured I would go get it checked out at the ER. They took X-rays and came back saying it was broken.

Comment from: Mirene, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I missed a step on the stairs, slid on a small carpet. It was a big mistake to have a small rug that could slide. My foot twisted and I fell on top of it. I have never felt such severe pain. This injury occurred more than a year ago and I am still in pain. Supposedly, I broke the calcaneus bone.

Comment from: garden nut, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 14

I was up a ladder against the side of the highest house cutting palm branches away. My ladder slipped sideways along guttering. I left the ladder and came down on my feet and back on cement and had immediate searing pain in left foot which took main impact. It took five minutes to get into house and rang the paramedics as was very lightheaded. End result being multiple fractures of the calcaneus. I needed screws, but operating deemed too risky because of my diabetes so had a half or soft cast for three weeks for swelling and then full fiberglass cast for four weeks. Now I have what's called a “moon boot” which I can take off but I can't put pressure on the foot for three weeks.

Comment from: Ash, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 19

Hi I was moving my kids' TV and it hit the top of. My foot it was bruised for a week and turned blue. Then it felt a little better and now I kick my son's backpack out of the way and I have extreme pain.

Must Read Articles Related to Broken Foot

Broken Ankle
Ankle Fracture An broken ankle (ankle fracture) can be caused by rolling the ankle in or out, twisting the ankle, extreme flexing of the joint, or trauma. Symptoms of a broken...learn more >>
Ankle Sprain
Ankle Sprain Ankle sprains are common sports injuries caused by extreme force, unnatural motion, or uneven ground. Sprained ankles often occur during exercise, but may also ...learn more >>
Broken Toe
Broken Toe The toe has many bones and one or more of the bones can be broken (fractured) after a foot or toe injury. Causes of a broken toe are generally from injury or tr...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Foot:

Broken Foot - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your broken foot?

Broken Foot - Causes

What caused your broken foot?