Viewer Comments: Broken Foot - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Foot:

Broken Foot - Treatment

How did you break your foot and what was the treatment?

Comment from: dragondilly, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

Last year I had a bad fall and sprained my left ankle. I took things easy for a while until about 2 months ago when I slipped and fell again. This time I went to the doctor who told me it wasn't broken, only sprained again. However after 10 days of total rest and two more of ice and exercises, I went for a second opinion and a CT scan. The scan revealing that I actually had various fractures in the middle of my foot. I've been given a plastic boot and returned to my normal activities but I'm not sure if that was the right thing to do.

Comment from: cstuder33, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

It was 3 am and I had to go to the bathroom. I got out of bed not knowing my leg and foot was asleep. I stood up out of bed and next thing I know I was on the floor. I got up and didn't think anything of it. I walked to the bathroom and down stairs. My foot never bruised, hurt, or swelled. I had to go to work that morning so I figured I would go get it checked out at the ER. They took X-rays and came back saying it was broken.

Comment from: Mirene, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I missed a step on the stairs, slid on a small carpet. It was a big mistake to have a small rug that could slide. My foot twisted and I fell on top of it. I have never felt such severe pain. This injury occurred more than a year ago and I am still in pain. Supposedly, I broke the calcaneus bone.

Comment from: garden nut, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 14

I was up a ladder against the side of the highest house cutting palm branches away. My ladder slipped sideways along guttering. I left the ladder and came down on my feet and back on cement and had immediate searing pain in left foot which took main impact. It took five minutes to get into house and rang the paramedics as was very lightheaded. End result being multiple fractures of the calcaneus. I needed screws, but operating deemed too risky because of my diabetes so had a half or soft cast for three weeks for swelling and then full fiberglass cast for four weeks. Now I have what's called a “moon boot” which I can take off but I can't put pressure on the foot for three weeks.

Comment from: Ash, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 19

Hi I was moving my kids' TV and it hit the top of. My foot it was bruised for a week and turned blue. Then it felt a little better and now I kick my son's backpack out of the way and I have extreme pain.

Comment from: spaggs, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 10

My son has recently had an MRI scan and we have now been told he has an aviator fracture in his left ankle.

Comment from: FormerSoccerGirl, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I broke my foot playing soccer. My ankle rolled when I was making a turn for a kick and I fell on it. My right ankle turned toward the inner part of my foot and shifted an entire bone segment higher up the left side of my foot. I also fractured a bone on the right side of my foot when I fell. The treatment so far would be to insert pins in my foot to support the bone as it heals, but I have a follow up that is going to determine if they'll let it heal on its own.

Comment from: dmmiller64, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

I tripped over a cable and then my left knee buckled when I tried to recover causing me to land on my left foot. I knew it was badly broken because I actually heard a snap and my foot was pointing upward with the bend being across all metatarsals. I immediately set the foot to at least look correct. I went the emergency room the next day and X-rays were taken but no one would tell me in any detail how many or what was broken. I was given an orthopedic doctor's name and number, a boot, and crutches. The orthopedic doctor was to call me and didn't and I called the next day and was never called back. Now it is the weekend and his office is closed. Good thing I set the foot myself or I would be really screwed by now. Don't break bones in Haywood county in North Carolina!

Comment from: Cath, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

Horse leapt on my right foot crushing it and broke second metatarsal. It was back slab cast for two and half weeks then X-ray showed it was heeling well. I have a walking cast now which will hopefully be off in 2 weeks! A lucky escape, really :)

Must Read Articles Related to Broken Foot

Broken Ankle
Ankle Fracture An broken ankle (ankle fracture) can be caused by rolling the ankle in or out, twisting the ankle, extreme flexing of the joint, or learn more >>
Ankle Sprain
Ankle Sprain Ankle sprains are common sports injuries caused by extreme force, unnatural motion, or uneven ground. Sprained ankles often occur during exercise, but may also ...learn more >>
Bone Fracture (Broken Bone)
Bone Fracture (Broken Bone) Fractures occur when bone cannot withstand the outside forces applied to the bone. Fractures can be open or closed. Types of fractures include: greenstick, spir...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Foot:

Broken Foot - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your broken foot?

Broken Foot - Experience

Please share your experience with a broken foot, for example, how it happened and what the treatment was.