Viewer Comments: Broken Foot - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Foot:

Broken Foot - Treatment

How did you break your foot and what was the treatment?

Comment from: spaggs, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 10

My son has recently had an MRI scan and we have now been told he has an aviator fracture in his left ankle.

Comment from: FormerSoccerGirl, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I broke my foot playing soccer. My ankle rolled when I was making a turn for a kick and I fell on it. My right ankle turned toward the inner part of my foot and shifted an entire bone segment higher up the left side of my foot. I also fractured a bone on the right side of my foot when I fell. The treatment so far would be to insert pins in my foot to support the bone as it heals, but I have a follow up that is going to determine if they'll let it heal on its own.

Comment from: dmmiller64, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

I tripped over a cable and then my left knee buckled when I tried to recover causing me to land on my left foot. I knew it was badly broken because I actually heard a snap and my foot was pointing upward with the bend being across all metatarsals. I immediately set the foot to at least look correct. I went the emergency room the next day and X-rays were taken but no one would tell me in any detail how many or what was broken. I was given an orthopedic doctor's name and number, a boot, and crutches. The orthopedic doctor was to call me and didn't and I called the next day and was never called back. Now it is the weekend and his office is closed. Good thing I set the foot myself or I would be really screwed by now. Don't break bones in Haywood county in North Carolina!

Comment from: Cath, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

Horse leapt on my right foot crushing it and broke second metatarsal. It was back slab cast for two and half weeks then X-ray showed it was heeling well. I have a walking cast now which will hopefully be off in 2 weeks! A lucky escape, really :)

Comment from: Debbie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I fell down a flight of stairs and broke my foot. It was very painful and with the help of an air cast after two weeks its healing nicely.

Comment from: bnhaven, 65-74 Female Published: November 09

I broke my foot when I hit my baby toe on the corner of the bed.

Comment from: fractralfoot, (Patient) Published: October 31

I was practicing a martial art. The instructor stopped his throw to explain a point while I held my position on one foot. He then threw, but blocked my standing foot so I couldn't lift it. The direction I wanted to fall in was blocked, so I had to go straight down, landing on my (twisted) foot. I broke the first 4 metatarsals, displacing the 4th one and also separated the first metatarsal from the mid-foot (Lisfranc Injury). The treatment was to put a screw through the first metatarsal, attaching it to the appropriate bone, and using a plate and 4 screws to stabilize the 4th metatarsal, followed by three months of elevation and non-weight-bearing.

Comment from: Gilly, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 19

I have broken three metatarsals and I have ligament damage. I've had surgeries and I have five screws. The doctors told me that I have six weeks in a cast with no weight on it and to then go to air boot.

Comment from: sue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 20

I stepped on my grandson's toy, and I broke my left foot. The cast is very painful and I also cracked my knee. I have to be off my foot for six weeks. It's already been two weeks and I'm still in a lot of pain.

Comment from: Pat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

I was stretching, before my run, at the side of my car in an empty parking lot when a car drove in at breakneck speed into the parking space next to mine. I did not see it coming as I was concentrating on my stretch. The driver did not know she hit me - my outstretched foot that is - as in her words - it was her baby! The baby was on her lap. I now have 2 screws in my ankle but the foot which was crushed is having to heal on its own. What's worrying me is that my knee was also twisted in the accident. I am exercising as much as I can on an exercise ball and on the mat. I just worry that the "bone" on the right side of my foot which is taking the longest to lose the swelling - as is the back of my heel and ankle - will just never "mend."

Must Read Articles Related to Broken Foot

Broken Ankle
Ankle Fracture An broken ankle (ankle fracture) can be caused by rolling the ankle in or out, twisting the ankle, extreme flexing of the joint, or trauma. Symptoms of a broken...learn more >>
Ankle Sprain
Ankle Sprain Ankle sprains are common sports injuries caused by extreme force, unnatural motion, or uneven ground. Sprained ankles often occur during exercise, but may also ...learn more >>
Broken Toe
Broken Toe The toe has many bones and one or more of the bones can be broken (fractured) after a foot or toe injury. Causes of a broken toe are generally from injury or tr...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Foot:

Broken Foot - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your broken foot?

Broken Foot - Causes

What caused your broken foot?