Viewer Comments: Broken Foot - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Foot:

Broken Foot - Treatment

How did you break your foot and what was the treatment?

Comment from: 75 or over Female Published: November 15

My dog was sick during the night. I was staying over at my daughters and they have a two story home. I went outside at 2:30 am with my dog and the stairs off the deck were wet. I missed the bottom stair and broke my foot. Has been a month now and I am still not to put weight on it. Was told it could be two to three months before I can. I am just using a wheelchair and a walker.

Comment from: Kayleighmacmc, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

I broke my foot falling down my ex boyfriends stairs had a cast for 2 3 weeks and they took it off and it had been a year now and it is still broken. I always fall and hurt it then I have a break on top of a break and they're not doing anything about it. It is really painful I have a bone popping out also and I have asked for surgery. I do dancing but they don't want to operate too early. I don't understand I have a footballers break with two fractures on top of the break.

Comment from: June, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

7/31/10 I was watering my garden when I stepped back and my foot rolled over on a hose and I felt it crack. I had no pain. X-ray's at the hospital showed a broken - metatarsal bone. I went to a foot specialist who put it in a soft cast and told me to stay completely off it for 6-8 weeks. The soft cast came off 2 weeks ago and it swelled and turned purple. He told me it takes a long time to heal and may need surgery. I am very disappointed.

Comment from: LJacobsen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 31

I had a clean long break in the middle of my 5th metatarsal 2 years ago. It occurred while stepping over a railing on a boat, instead of heel coming down normally, rolled forward and bone snapped. Diagnosed by x-ray, given post op boot and crutches for rehabilitation period. 6 week follow-up x-rays showed bone had healed normally. Lots of swelling immediately after resuming walking. Still have issues with pain from walking, mostly on top of foot. Wearing good tennis or fitness shoes helps me be active, cannot walk barefoot for long without aggravating situation.

Comment from: Mama Bear, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

I fell at home on concrete while stepping off a step. I was mis-diagnosed with just a sprain, then after 5 weeks in a black boot, I had an MRI and found the cuboid bone in my foot was broken. Then I was put in a cast for 5 weeks and just had it removed on 8/26. I am still very swollen and it aches up to my knee. Dr says it takes a long time so I will try to be patient but it is not easy for sure.

Comment from: bigone, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I broke my foot exercising, no very specific injury. I was working out doing jumping jacks, bunny hops and jump rope. The key to my injury was, doing so without shoes. The treatment 6-8 weeks of complete immobilization, a boot and then crutches, or in my case, a knee scooter, or knee walker.

Comment from: Vaden, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 06

I fell off of a ladder from 5 feet on June 23rd. It is not getting better and the pain is more severe I went to the emergency care July 4th. X-ray's showed three breaks, fractures. The doctor wants me to go to an orthopedic doctor. I was given Percocet three times a day, which is not really controlling the pain. Also, the pain is going up the side of my left leg to the knee. I don't want to worry the doctor like a cry baby but I am not a happy camper.

Comment from: Orla, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I broke my foot after falling about 3ft from a ladder. The injury is referred to as an avulsion of the calcaneus and cuboid joint (something to that effect). I was placed in a Baloney backslab for 10 days and then placed in a fiberglass cast. The incident happened on 23/5/2010 and I'm due for a review on 30/6/2010.

Must Read Articles Related to Broken Foot

Broken Ankle
Ankle Fracture An broken ankle (ankle fracture) can be caused by rolling the ankle in or out, twisting the ankle, extreme flexing of the joint, or trauma. Symptoms of a broken...learn more >>
Ankle Sprain
Ankle Sprain The ankle joint, which connects the foot with the lower leg, is injured often. An unnatural twisting motion can happen when the foot is planted awkwardly, when ...learn more >>
Broken Toe
Broken Toe The toe has many bones and one or more of the bones can be broken (fractured) after a foot or toe injury. Causes of a broken toe are generally from injury or tr...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Foot:

Broken Foot - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your broken foot?

Broken Foot - Causes

What caused your broken foot?