Viewer Comments: Broken Foot - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Foot:

Broken Foot - Treatment

How did you break your foot and what was the treatment?

Comment from: rcurbgirlno1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

Walked out back door and fell over metal shelving that was on the porch and toe next to baby toe bent in half. Now there is swelling on the underside and top of foot. I can't even move any of my toes.

Comment from: non-walking disaster, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I missed a step and rolled my foot laterally. Immediately went down in severe pain. Also felt nauseated and felt like I was going to pass out. Currently I am non-weight bearing for 2 weeks with a walking boot and crutches. I can use the boot only for balance.

I'm not sure how I sustained the stress fracture of my second metatarsal. I do have flat feet and spent the hot summer in flip flops. I also had prior bunion surgery. My treatment is a cam walker. I am allowed to do whatever walking/activity is comfortable. I must wear the boot for four to six weeks.

Comment from: ellie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I broke and dislocated my big toe. I missed a step and feel causing my toe to get wedged between two rocks. I drove home, went to clinic in morning, and was told to go for X-rays which showed the damage. Went to a podiatrist and so far everything is going well. This happened two weeks ago. I was told it is healing well.

Comment from: cathy7, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I was spraying weeds for 3 hours on uneven terrain. I did not fall or injure myself. The side of my foot started to hurt and has progressively gotten worse, so that now I can't walk on that foot. I don't know what happened. I have osteoporosis and lupus and maybe the stress of the job was too much.

Comment from: StardustCM, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 27

I was playing wallyball and jumped to block a spike at the net. I came down on the girl's foot that was on the other side of the net. I felt and heard a pop. I held onto the net for a moment to steady myself, then I hobbled off the court. I thought I had hurt my ankle. My foot felt like it was on fire though. I drove myself to the Instacare where I was diagnosed with a 5th metatarsal base fracture. The broken end had completely detached itself and was shifted off to the side of my foot. A week later, I underwent an ORIF and had 2 pins inserted. I'm currently 3 weeks out from surgery and looking at probably being off my foot for another 3 weeks. I broke it on 6.28.11 and my surgeon thinks it'll take me until mid November before my foot is back to 100%. At some point in the future, I'll need to go back in and have the pins removed since they're so close to the skin and will cause irritation.

Comment from: 65-74 Male Published: March 08

My friend was in a motorcycle accident and ended up with 8 broken bones in his right foot. They told him take off the foot or suffer with the pain. He chose to keep his foot but today he said he wishes he had let them take it off.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I broke my 5th metatarsal from a fall on September 29. After 2 month of non healing surgery was performed to cut open my skin and place 2 wired rings to bond the bone together. After 4 months my bone is still not healed.

Comment from: 75 or over Female Published: November 15

My dog was sick during the night. I was staying over at my daughters and they have a two story home. I went outside at 2:30 am with my dog and the stairs off the deck were wet. I missed the bottom stair and broke my foot. Has been a month now and I am still not to put weight on it. Was told it could be two to three months before I can. I am just using a wheelchair and a walker.

Comment from: Kayleighmacmc, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

I broke my foot falling down my ex boyfriends stairs had a cast for 2 3 weeks and they took it off and it had been a year now and it is still broken. I always fall and hurt it then I have a break on top of a break and they're not doing anything about it. It is really painful I have a bone popping out also and I have asked for surgery. I do dancing but they don't want to operate too early. I don't understand I have a footballers break with two fractures on top of the break.

Must Read Articles Related to Broken Foot

Broken Ankle
Ankle Fracture An broken ankle (ankle fracture) can be caused by rolling the ankle in or out, twisting the ankle, extreme flexing of the joint, or trauma. Symptoms of a broken...learn more >>
Ankle Sprain
Ankle Sprain Ankle sprains are common sports injuries caused by extreme force, unnatural motion, or uneven ground. Sprained ankles often occur during exercise, but may also ...learn more >>
Broken Toe
Broken Toe The toe has many bones and one or more of the bones can be broken (fractured) after a foot or toe injury. Causes of a broken toe are generally from injury or tr...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Foot:

Broken Foot - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your broken foot?

Broken Foot - Causes

What caused your broken foot?