Viewer Comments: Broken Foot - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Foot:

Broken Foot - Treatment

How did you break your foot and what was the treatment?

Comment from: ellie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I broke and dislocated my big toe. I missed a step and feel causing my toe to get wedged between two rocks. I drove home, went to clinic in morning, and was told to go for X-rays which showed the damage. Went to a podiatrist and so far everything is going well. This happened two weeks ago. I was told it is healing well.

Comment from: cathy7, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I was spraying weeds for 3 hours on uneven terrain. I did not fall or injure myself. The side of my foot started to hurt and has progressively gotten worse, so that now I can't walk on that foot. I don't know what happened. I have osteoporosis and lupus and maybe the stress of the job was too much.

Comment from: StardustCM, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 27

I was playing wallyball and jumped to block a spike at the net. I came down on the girl's foot that was on the other side of the net. I felt and heard a pop. I held onto the net for a moment to steady myself, then I hobbled off the court. I thought I had hurt my ankle. My foot felt like it was on fire though. I drove myself to the Instacare where I was diagnosed with a 5th metatarsal base fracture. The broken end had completely detached itself and was shifted off to the side of my foot. A week later, I underwent an ORIF and had 2 pins inserted. I'm currently 3 weeks out from surgery and looking at probably being off my foot for another 3 weeks. I broke it on 6.28.11 and my surgeon thinks it'll take me until mid November before my foot is back to 100%. At some point in the future, I'll need to go back in and have the pins removed since they're so close to the skin and will cause irritation.

Comment from: 65-74 Male Published: March 08

My friend was in a motorcycle accident and ended up with 8 broken bones in his right foot. They told him take off the foot or suffer with the pain. He chose to keep his foot but today he said he wishes he had let them take it off.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I broke my 5th metatarsal from a fall on September 29. After 2 month of non healing surgery was performed to cut open my skin and place 2 wired rings to bond the bone together. After 4 months my bone is still not healed.

Must Read Articles Related to Broken Foot

Broken Ankle
Ankle Fracture An broken ankle (ankle fracture) can be caused by rolling the ankle in or out, twisting the ankle, extreme flexing of the joint, or learn more >>
Ankle Sprain
Ankle Sprain Ankle sprains are common sports injuries caused by extreme force, unnatural motion, or uneven ground. Sprained ankles often occur during exercise, but may also ...learn more >>
Bone Fracture (Broken Bone)
Bone Fracture (Broken Bone) Fractures occur when bone cannot withstand the outside forces applied to the bone. Fractures can be open or closed. Types of fractures include:
  • gree...
learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Foot:

Broken Foot - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your broken foot?

Broken Foot - Experience

Please share your experience with a broken foot, for example, how it happened and what the treatment was.