Viewer Comments: Broken Foot - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Foot:

Broken Foot - Treatment

How did you break your foot and what was the treatment?

Comment from: StardustCM, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 27

I was playing wallyball and jumped to block a spike at the net. I came down on the girl's foot that was on the other side of the net. I felt and heard a pop. I held onto the net for a moment to steady myself, then I hobbled off the court. I thought I had hurt my ankle. My foot felt like it was on fire though. I drove myself to the Instacare where I was diagnosed with a 5th metatarsal base fracture. The broken end had completely detached itself and was shifted off to the side of my foot. A week later, I underwent an ORIF and had 2 pins inserted. I'm currently 3 weeks out from surgery and looking at probably being off my foot for another 3 weeks. I broke it on 6.28.11 and my surgeon thinks it'll take me until mid November before my foot is back to 100%. At some point in the future, I'll need to go back in and have the pins removed since they're so close to the skin and will cause irritation.

Comment from: 65-74 Male Published: March 08

My friend was in a motorcycle accident and ended up with 8 broken bones in his right foot. They told him take off the foot or suffer with the pain. He chose to keep his foot but today he said he wishes he had let them take it off.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I broke my 5th metatarsal from a fall on September 29. After 2 month of non healing surgery was performed to cut open my skin and place 2 wired rings to bond the bone together. After 4 months my bone is still not healed.

Comment from: 75 or over Female Published: November 15

My dog was sick during the night. I was staying over at my daughters and they have a two story home. I went outside at 2:30 am with my dog and the stairs off the deck were wet. I missed the bottom stair and broke my foot. Has been a month now and I am still not to put weight on it. Was told it could be two to three months before I can. I am just using a wheelchair and a walker.

Comment from: Kayleighmacmc, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

I broke my foot falling down my ex boyfriends stairs had a cast for 2 3 weeks and they took it off and it had been a year now and it is still broken. I always fall and hurt it then I have a break on top of a break and they're not doing anything about it. It is really painful I have a bone popping out also and I have asked for surgery. I do dancing but they don't want to operate too early. I don't understand I have a footballers break with two fractures on top of the break.

Comment from: June, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

7/31/10 I was watering my garden when I stepped back and my foot rolled over on a hose and I felt it crack. I had no pain. X-ray's at the hospital showed a broken - metatarsal bone. I went to a foot specialist who put it in a soft cast and told me to stay completely off it for 6-8 weeks. The soft cast came off 2 weeks ago and it swelled and turned purple. He told me it takes a long time to heal and may need surgery. I am very disappointed.

Comment from: LJacobsen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 31

I had a clean long break in the middle of my 5th metatarsal 2 years ago. It occurred while stepping over a railing on a boat, instead of heel coming down normally, rolled forward and bone snapped. Diagnosed by x-ray, given post op boot and crutches for rehabilitation period. 6 week follow-up x-rays showed bone had healed normally. Lots of swelling immediately after resuming walking. Still have issues with pain from walking, mostly on top of foot. Wearing good tennis or fitness shoes helps me be active, cannot walk barefoot for long without aggravating situation.

Must Read Articles Related to Broken Foot

Broken Ankle
Ankle Fracture An broken ankle (ankle fracture) can be caused by rolling the ankle in or out, twisting the ankle, extreme flexing of the joint, or learn more >>
Ankle Sprain
Ankle Sprain Ankle sprains are common sports injuries caused by extreme force, unnatural motion, or uneven ground. Sprained ankles often occur during exercise, but may also ...learn more >>
Bone Fracture (Broken Bone)
Bone Fracture (Broken Bone) Fractures occur when bone cannot withstand the outside forces applied to the bone. Fractures can be open or closed. Types of fractures include: greenstick, spir...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Foot:

Broken Foot - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your broken foot?

Broken Foot - Experience

Please share your experience with a broken foot, for example, how it happened and what the treatment was.