Viewer Comments: Broken Foot - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Foot:

Broken Foot - Treatment

How did you break your foot and what was the treatment?

...
Comment from: snowbunny, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I stepped in a hole in the parking lot. At first I thought it was a bad sprain. My husband brought out a motorized cart. I didn't try to walk until I got home. The pain was horrible. This happened on Friday and I decided to go to the doctor on Tuesday. X-rays were taken and I was told I had a broken bone on the side of my foot and was told I had to go to the orthopedic doctors. I got in on Friday and saw a physician's assistant. One of the doctors decided I didn't need to see a doctor. The bone on the side next to my little toe was broken. One bone had three breaks in it. The ligaments and tendons were stretched, but not torn. I was given a moon boot to wear. What a pain! I was told not to walk on my foot. The pain is so bad, I couldn't put any weight on it if I wanted to. I have a walker and I can put a little weight on my toes. This boot is making my back and hips hurt. I don't know if I can put up with this six weeks. I was told I could take the boot off when I sleep, and other times as long as I didn't try to walk on it. Sometimes I have to take the boot off because it causes my foot to hurt worse. I have pain pills but they don't stop the pain. The walker is causing my hands and wrist to hurt. Because I have to put all the weight on my left foot, it is causing that foot to hurt and swell. If this ever heals I never want another broken bone. I broke my ankle on the same leg 15 years ago, but it wasn't this bad. I have had a bad year. I fell off a kitchen stool in July and broke my tailbone, now this. They need to fix the holes in their parking lot.

Comment from: mimz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I would like to share my story in hopes it might be helpful to someone and also hoping to get support and encouragement. While hiking, and not being careful, I broke one bone in my left foot (5th metatarsal) 7 weeks ago. I am in a walking boot and used crutches for the first 3 weeks with it. Podiatrist says that it's a 'lucky break' so I am able to bear weight on the foot but of course only with the boot. After 7 weeks, x-rays showed bone had healed but the doctor wants me to stay in the boot for 5 more weeks. She said it's because of repairing the surrounding tendons.

Comment from: mercy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

In October last year I fell and heard a snapping sound in my left foot. A few hours later I went for x-rays and the doctor confirmed that I had an intra-articular fracture to the 5th metatarsal bone. I was given a moon boot to wear for the first 10 days then the doctor advised me on checkup that my foot had to go into cast for at least 5 weeks. Finally the weeks had passed and the cast was removed, it still took me about two weeks just to get used to walking around with crutches again. Pretty much everything went back to normal until the beginning of February this year when I twisted my right foot, didn't feel pain till the morning when I woke up just to see the bruising of the foot. I went to hospital, got x-rays done again, just to be confirmed that I have broken the exact same bone at the same place with a small displacement this time in the right foot. I was in cast for 2 weeks, then went for a checkup and cast was removed and currently in a moon boot for the next 5 weeks due that the left foot started playing up. The orthopedic surgeon has advised me that after the 5 weeks are up, he will be taking x-rays on both feet and if the right foot has had a nonunion then I will have to go for surgery to fix a metal plate on the bone. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced the same problem in both feet. It will be awesome to get a little bit more information.

Comment from: julie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I was taking the trash out and badly stubbed my toe. At first I thought it was just that, a stubbed toe. A few hours later the pain persisted and I knew it might be more than just a stubbed toe. I woke up the next morning and had problems walking. I spent a few hours researching broken toe treatments and most of the articles said it can be handled at home and that I should buddy tape my toe. I had issues walking but thought there was not much you can do about it. I am a master swimmer and actually did two vigorous master swims. After deep bruising and pain I decided for peace of mind I need to get an x-ray. I went to an urgent care center where they x-rayed my foot and indeed I had a fracture. They gave me the walking boot to wear. I got home and thought this was overkill until I came across several articles that stated this really is the best way to treat a fractured toe. Lesson learned, go to the doctor and don't treat it at home!

Comment from: Jayflip55, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 28

One night I was taking a shower and my mom keeps the shampoo and conditioner up high so I went and reached for them but I slipped and fell and landed on my foot. It turned in and then it really was giving me pain, so I iced it all night.

Comment from: when will I learn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 09

I was taking my dog outside at 1am in the morning. I was at my daughter's home; I had to take him off the porch, which is different than what he normally do at home. Her porch has 3 small steps, I have two at home. I stepped down, missing all the steps or stepping down onto the first step. I landed on both feet, flat. Realized I was on my left side, going into the bushes along the brick sidewalk that I had landed on. When I got myself up, after saying something, both my feet were burning and tingling, so much, I could only shuffle little by little to get back into the house, up the stairs and back into to bed. I still had pain during the night, tried to keep my feet elevated. The next day, I realized that I had twisted both of my feet, one more than the other, my right being the most, toward the left. I went to the ER, the next morning, had x-rays, I had a fracture in the middle of the side of my left foot. I had a soft cast put in place. I was shown how to use a cane, and to put ice on the foot. I took pain medication x2 every 3-4 hours. The pain did subside except when I was walking on it, as long as I kept it elevated, the pain was less. I have a new support for my foot. It is called a boot, which I can take off for a shower and going to bed. I am a nurse, but don't take care of myself, obviously by not waking my husband up to take me to the ER, when I first fell. This is the second time I have fallen on these steps, also once at our own at home, the same way. First time I have had a fracture. I have restless leg syndrome, I have weak ankles, and I am a fast walker and very easily could be thinking of other things than going downstairs, when it is cold, windy and wanting to get back into the house. I also may have had my dog in my arms, or I may have already put him down and I was going to walk him around. I sometimes wonder if my depth perception is off.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Broken Foot

Broken Ankle
Ankle Fracture An broken ankle (ankle fracture) can be caused by rolling the ankle in or out, twisting the ankle, extreme flexing of the joint, or learn more >>
Ankle Sprain
Ankle Sprain Ankle sprains are common sports injuries caused by extreme force, unnatural motion, or uneven ground. Sprained ankles often occur during exercise, but may also ...learn more >>
Bone Fracture (Broken Bone)
Bone Fracture (Broken Bone) Fractures occur when bone cannot withstand the outside forces applied to the bone. Fractures can be open or closed. Types of fractures include: greenstick, spir...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Foot:

Broken Foot - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your broken foot?

Broken Foot - Experience

Please share your experience with a broken foot, for example, how it happened and what the treatment was.