Viewer Comments: Broken Foot - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Foot:

Broken Foot - Treatment

How did you break your foot and what was the treatment?

Comment from: when will I learn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 09

I was taking my dog outside at 1am in the morning. I was at my daughter's home; I had to take him off the porch, which is different than what he normally do at home. Her porch has 3 small steps, I have two at home. I stepped down, missing all the steps or stepping down onto the first step. I landed on both feet, flat. Realized I was on my left side, going into the bushes along the brick sidewalk that I had landed on. When I got myself up, after saying something, both my feet were burning and tingling, so much, I could only shuffle little by little to get back into the house, up the stairs and back into to bed. I still had pain during the night, tried to keep my feet elevated. The next day, I realized that I had twisted both of my feet, one more than the other, my right being the most, toward the left. I went to the ER, the next morning, had x-rays, I had a fracture in the middle of the side of my left foot. I had a soft cast put in place. I was shown how to use a cane, and to put ice on the foot. I took pain medication x2 every 3-4 hours. The pain did subside except when I was walking on it, as long as I kept it elevated, the pain was less. I have a new support for my foot. It is called a boot, which I can take off for a shower and going to bed. I am a nurse, but don't take care of myself, obviously by not waking my husband up to take me to the ER, when I first fell. This is the second time I have fallen on these steps, also once at our own at home, the same way. First time I have had a fracture. I have restless leg syndrome, I have weak ankles, and I am a fast walker and very easily could be thinking of other things than going downstairs, when it is cold, windy and wanting to get back into the house. I also may have had my dog in my arms, or I may have already put him down and I was going to walk him around. I sometimes wonder if my depth perception is off.

Comment from: Whining Patient, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I was running my dog and stepped on a pine cone and rolled my right foot. I heard a crack but got up and quickly fell down, as I could not take the weight on my foot. I got home and just put my foot up for an hour or so. It was the night before Halloween, so I got dressed in my costume and wore 4-inchheeled boots no problem until hours later when my foot came off the bar stool and could not hold me up. I got home and put ice on it. When I woke up the next day, it was kind of blue and swollen. So, all day I had it up, and it felt good enough to go out and be a zombie and do the thriller dance in front of hundreds of people. It was sore but not "painful." The next week, I went to the gym and cycled and lifted weights but did not run. On the ninth day, I was told to go to the doctor by many friends. That's when I discovered my foot was broken. Now I'm in a black soft cast up to my knee. I have no pain, but I am having real issues with not being able to exercise. I wear my cycling shoes off and on because I need to drive and walk, and they have steel and hard plastic bottoms. I went to the two-week checkup and the doctor told me it was healing well. I asked if I could run a 10K after six to eight weeks and he said, "Absolutely not!"

Comment from: splash2, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I fractured the 5th metatarsal bone, right foot, while walking with very good sneakers on an unpaved road. My foot twisted outward when I stepped in a pothole. I had immediate pain when I took next step. This is a Jones fracture. I've been 5 weeks in a boot cast (removable), x-rays week 4 showed normal healing is taking place. I must wear a boot for 4 more weeks (Podiatrist said), using a wheelchair and walker, foot not touching ground. I was told no surgery. It is very tough not to walk or balance. I wasn't told about this. I was very active before this injury. Also was told since I am on Medicare, electric bone growth stimulator wouldn't be authorized. If I was wealthy or a sports figure, I would have had it and would have had my healing time cut in half!Very discriminating to be sure.

Comment from: jarem23, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 25

I broke my 5th metatarsal by dropping a 55 lb dumbbell on it weightlifting. My treatment so far has been bone growth stimulation and non weight bearing at all. It's been 3 weeks and I can walk, put pressure, and push off the broken foot. The swelling and bruising went away in 2 weeks, and I can resume practice in 1 week.

Comment from: cstuder33, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

It was 3 am and I had to go to the bathroom. I got out of bed not knowing my leg and foot was asleep. I stood up out of bed and next thing I know I was on the floor. I got up and didn't think anything of it. I walked to the bathroom and down stairs. My foot never bruised, hurt, or swelled. I had to go to work that morning so I figured I would go get it checked out at the ER. They took X-rays and came back saying it was broken.

Comment from: Mirene, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I missed a step on the stairs, slid on a small carpet. It was a big mistake to have a small rug that could slide. My foot twisted and I fell on top of it. I have never felt such severe pain. This injury occurred more than a year ago and I am still in pain. Supposedly, I broke the calcaneus bone.

Must Read Articles Related to Broken Foot

Broken Ankle
Ankle Fracture An broken ankle (ankle fracture) can be caused by rolling the ankle in or out, twisting the ankle, extreme flexing of the joint, or trauma. Symptoms of a broken...learn more >>
Ankle Sprain
Ankle Sprain The ankle joint, which connects the foot with the lower leg, is injured often. An unnatural twisting motion can happen when the foot is planted awkwardly, when ...learn more >>
Broken Toe
Broken Toe The toe has many bones and one or more of the bones can be broken (fractured) after a foot or toe injury. Causes of a broken toe are generally from injury or tr...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Foot:

Broken Foot - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your broken foot?

Broken Foot - Causes

What caused your broken foot?