Viewer Comments: Broken Foot - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Foot:

Broken Foot - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your broken foot?

Comment from: Dee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I slipped and fell on a hidden step in a hot tub and broke my 4th and 5th metatarsals. I was given a black boot and crutches. After 4 weeks, the X-ray showed not much healing. Now after six weeks it's still painful and swelling every day. I have an appointment to see an orthopedic surgeon so not sure what will happen next.

Comment from: Margie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I was at the beach. I was seating on a deck in a steel bar stool, When I got up I didn't know my skirt was caught in the chair , as I ascended the steps on the deck the chair followed me and landed on my foot. I have never felt that kind of pain in my life. My foot swelled up 3 times bigger than it was normally. The outcome was to have surgery on my foot within 10 days or I wouldn't be able to walk on that foot again. I had pins and a rod put in my foot and was told I should not put any pressure on my foot for three months. I am now in a boot that I can only take off at bed time and in the shower. The pain after surgery was very hard. I have eight more weeks before I can walk again.

Comment from: Barbie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I hyper-extended my foot falling down some stairs, causing a broken foot.

Comment from: Cindy, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 14

I fell when my foot went into a small pothole. I got up and tried to walk and fell again. By the time I was X-rayed, the doctors tell me that my foot was broken in three places.

Comment from: lakegirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I walk three miles, five days per week with my dog. My foot began to hurt like a strained muscle. My doctor finally convinced me to get an X-ray, which revealed that my foot is broken. Now I'm in a cast. I can't wait until this is over.

Comment from: sbbmay31@att.net, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

Very painful, swollen at least twice it's normal size. There is deep purple bruising across the entire top of foot ankle alongside ankle and on bottom of foot. It has now been two weeks and the bruising is gone, however, the pain is still very much still there and a large knot on the side of foot. My foot is broken at the third metatarsal and is broken and one piece is sitting on top of the other. Today I go see an orthopedic specialist and don't know what will happen at this time.

Comment from: Brendan Carroll, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 27

My wife broke and dislocated her ankle almost five years ago and she is now almost hardly able to walk. She had steel plates and screws put in, and they were left there for two and a half years, then when her foot got bad, they took out the plates, but by then her foot was completely locked, and even physiotherapy can't work. The bones are touching off each other and her foot gets inflamed and very sore.

Must Read Articles Related to Broken Foot

Broken Ankle
Ankle Fracture An broken ankle (ankle fracture) can be caused by rolling the ankle in or out, twisting the ankle, extreme flexing of the joint, or learn more >>
Ankle Sprain
Ankle Sprain Ankle sprains are common sports injuries caused by extreme force, unnatural motion, or uneven ground. Sprained ankles often occur during exercise, but may also ...learn more >>
Bone Fracture (Broken Bone)
Bone Fracture (Broken Bone) Fractures occur when bone cannot withstand the outside forces applied to the bone. Fractures can be open or closed. Types of fractures include: greenstick, spir...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Foot:

Broken Foot - Treatment

How did you break your foot and what was the treatment?

Broken Foot - Experience

Please share your experience with a broken foot, for example, how it happened and what the treatment was.