Viewer Comments: Broken Foot - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Foot:

Broken Foot - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your broken foot?

Comment from: shazza, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 01

Severe pain when I came to. Hard to walk on, at this stage didn't realize was broken. Pain intensifying, nausea. Could not touch area, foot swelling like a balloon, and broken bone on outside of right foot. Foot in cast and on crutches. Slightly can weight bear (nearly 2 week). Cannot work for up to eight weeks. Constant pain and tingling in foot.

Comment from: Zumeraga, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 28

I was going up a flight of stairs at work. I made it up the first landing and was turning and rotating my foot for the second landing, and felt and heard a loud "POP' in my left foot. Immediately after, I felt severe pain and swelling in foot and ankle. Went to dispensary the next day and told I had broken the foot and ankle. Now I'm in a "moon boot" with crutches.

Comment from: sorefoot, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I had a brick fall on my foot and now it is swollen and bruised. It is extremely sore and it is hard to walk. I am waiting for my doctor to get my X-ray results. Ouch!

Comment from: Layback76, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

Don't really know how I broke the 5th metatarsal. It started to hurt a bit while walking to the train station. I work as a security guard so was on my feet much of the night. By the end of the night my foot really hurt. Being a dumb male, I waited for seven weeks before seeing a doctor, and four more weeks after that before seeing a podiatrist. He assumed that there was no break since I had been walking on it all that time. An X-ray was finally taken 10 days later that showed a clear break. I've been wearing a walking boot for the last three months with only partial healing. Surgery to have a screw implanted has been brought up as a possibility.

Comment from: Nancy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I rolled my right foot at work and since I think I'm superwoman, I assumed I just sprained it. It took a while but it healed. I still had problems (soreness, weak, etc.) but never went to the doctor. I finally relented and went to a specialist. He took x-rays and told me I had broken it and promptly put me in a boot cast so I could still walk/work.

Comment from: Dee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I slipped and fell on a hidden step in a hot tub and broke my 4th and 5th metatarsals. I was given a black boot and crutches. After 4 weeks, the X-ray showed not much healing. Now after six weeks it's still painful and swelling every day. I have an appointment to see an orthopedic surgeon so not sure what will happen next.

Comment from: Margie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I was at the beach. I was seating on a deck in a steel bar stool, When I got up I didn't know my skirt was caught in the chair , as I ascended the steps on the deck the chair followed me and landed on my foot. I have never felt that kind of pain in my life. My foot swelled up 3 times bigger than it was normally. The outcome was to have surgery on my foot within 10 days or I wouldn't be able to walk on that foot again. I had pins and a rod put in my foot and was told I should not put any pressure on my foot for three months. I am now in a boot that I can only take off at bed time and in the shower. The pain after surgery was very hard. I have eight more weeks before I can walk again.

Comment from: Barbie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I hyper-extended my foot falling down some stairs, causing a broken foot.

Comment from: Cindy, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 14

I fell when my foot went into a small pothole. I got up and tried to walk and fell again. By the time I was X-rayed, the doctors tell me that my foot was broken in three places.

Comment from: lakegirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I walk three miles, five days per week with my dog. My foot began to hurt like a strained muscle. My doctor finally convinced me to get an X-ray, which revealed that my foot is broken. Now I'm in a cast. I can't wait until this is over.

Must Read Articles Related to Broken Foot

Broken Ankle
Ankle Fracture An broken ankle (ankle fracture) can be caused by rolling the ankle in or out, twisting the ankle, extreme flexing of the joint, or trauma. Symptoms of a broken...learn more >>
Ankle Sprain
Ankle Sprain The ankle joint, which connects the foot with the lower leg, is injured often. An unnatural twisting motion can happen when the foot is planted awkwardly, when ...learn more >>
Broken Toe
Broken Toe The toe has many bones and one or more of the bones can be broken (fractured) after a foot or toe injury. Causes of a broken toe are generally from injury or tr...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Foot:

Broken Foot - Treatment

How did you break your foot and what was the treatment?

Broken Foot - Causes

What caused your broken foot?