Broken Hand (cont.)
Broken Hand Medical Treatment
Because of the complexity of the hand, treatment of hand injuries can become involved. The procedure is usually as follows:
- The doctor will usually obtain an X-ray.
- The injured hand may be partially numbed by injecting the nerves at the wrist or at the base of a finger
(digital block). Wounds will be carefully irrigated and explored.
- Any cuts usually will be
- The patient may be prescribed
antibiotics to keep the wound from becoming infected.
- The injured part may be immobilized in a splint to hold it in a particular position.
- The patient may be referred to a hand specialist (orthopedic or plastic surgeon).
- The patient will receive
pain medicine to use for several days after the injury.
Must Read Articles Related to Broken Hand
A boxer's fracture is a break through the bones of the hands that form the knuckles. Boxer's fractures usually occur from a person punching another person (fist...learn more >>
Hand injuries can be divided into six categories. 1) cuts and lacerations, 2) fractures and dislocations, 3) soft tissue injuries and amputations, 4) infections...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Hand: