Broken Nose (cont.)
Broken Nose Treatment
Broken Nose Self-Care at Home
Taking the following actions at home may help reduce the symptoms of a broken nose.
- Place ice wrapped in a cloth over the nose for
about 15 minutes at a time and then remove the ice. This process can be
repeated hourly throughout the day. Use ice at the time of injury and
for 1-2 days afterward to reduce pain and swelling. Take breaks
between applications, and do not apply the ice directly to the skin. A bag of
frozen peas or corn can be used as an ice pack as it will conform to the nose.
- Take acetaminophen
(Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Advil,
Motrin) to reduce pain. Only use these medications as directed.
- Take an over-the-counter
(OTC) nasal decongestant to aid in breathing through the nostrils.
- Do not use OTC nasal decongestants if the nose continues to bleed. Seek
- Read warning labels associated with
- These medications should not be used for more than 3 days.
- Elevate the head, especially when sleeping, to avoid increased swelling of the nose. Prop the head up with pillows or lift the head of the bed by placing large blocks or phone books under the mattress.
Must Read Articles Related to Broken Nose
A fracture is a broken bone. Facial fracture refers to any injury that results in a broken bone or bones of the face. Symptoms of a facial fracture depend on wh...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Nose: