Viewer Comments: Broken Toe - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Toe:

Broken Toe - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with broken toe.

Comment from: Neecie58, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

About the 2nd week of August, I slammed my right foot into my vacuum cleaner. (I've stubbed toes before, but this I knew was a bad one!) After a few days of pain, both my two little toes turned purple/blue, etc. I tried to keep my feet raised as much as possible but it's not easy to do that. Then, about a week later, going into my bathroom, (I don't know how I did this, but) I slammed the side of the same foot I think into the door frame, saw stars, and felt myself going down heading for the tub! Put my hands out to prevent a head injury and somehow badly injured my whole leg. I ended up half in tub and half on floor in tears. I stayed there for 15 minutes before I was able to get up. The next day, I iced my toes and the side of my thigh which was completed bruised down to my knee. It is now mid-October. Today is the 14th and today is the first time I could put on a sneaker without it killing my toe! It still hurts though when I do any kind of walking except when I wear open flip-flops. The bruising/discoloration has gone away on the toe and my thigh. But there is a spot on my thigh also that still hurts if I tough it or lay on my side.

Comment from: Lyndylou, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

I broke the little toe on my left foot 5 days ago. It is very painful and I have been told it will take up to 4 weeks to heal. As a busy working Mom I am not happy having to keep off my feet for a while as I am always on the go and like it that way! I have been hobbling about a little bit but suffered more pain afterwards so I had better do what the Docs say and rest it, good job my hubby and kidz love me!!

Comment from: Donna D, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 27

I stubbed my 4th toe 2 days ago. I'm also diabetic. Toe doesn't really hurt but bruising is continuing to spread down into my foot. There is a dark purple ring at the base of toe. I have not sought treatment.

Comment from: Hallie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I broke my left pinky toe and a month later broke the toe next to it. It has been almost a year and now I have a hard bump under my foot that hurts. It is about an inch or so below my toe, so I am not sure if it is bone or what.

Comment from: Is it broken???, Female (Patient) Published: February 11

Yesterday I was playing indoor soccer in gym class, and a girl came at me because I had the ball. She accidentally kicked my pinky toe very hard, and kind of at a diagonal direction. The pain was excruciating. It bruised pretty badly throughout the day, and then I had a volleyball game that I couldn't miss. So I played and it seemed okay while I was playing, but once I stopped and tried to walk off the court it hurt so badly! I can't bend the middle joint of it, and it's still bruised and slightly swollen. It hurts like crazy to walk on it as well. I wonder if it is broken.

Comment from: fenway, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

Add me to the list of little 'pinky' broken toes! We had just received a delivery of wood for our wood stove and in the process of stacking it, one of the frozen logs landed directly on my toe! It was instantly painful. I realize there is nothing you can do for a broken pinky toe except taping it, which makes it hurt even more! Keep it elevated and use an NSAID if possible to help keep pain and swelling at bay. It has only been one week, and from what I hear, it will be at least 4-6 more :(

Comment from: injured, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

Can anyone advise me or direct me on what to do as far as treatment in decreasing pain and swelling. In short I was in a car accident and my ankle was crushed and I suffered 3 broken toes. I have had an external fixator, a cast, permanent hardware in my ankle, physical therapy and 11 months later my toes are stiff and will not bend completely which makes it awkward/painful when walking. There is soreness (toes) from the inside out and sore to the touch. My ankle still swells and my toes (tip) burn at times. The hardware pokes at my skin and my foot is sore and tight quite often. I am still under the doctor's care, but he offers little direction on remedies or treatment.

Comment from: JJ, 55-64 Female Published: September 11

In March, while on holiday, I broke my left baby toe. The very same day the eyesight in my left eye became extremely cloudy. However, I thought these two things were totally unrelated. When I returned home I sought out an ophthalmologist and all was well as far as he was concerned with my eyesight. However, I still continued to have bouts of cloudy vision. The other day watching a doctor on TV brought it all to light. He said that the baby toe is connected to the part of the brain in the back of your head that affects the optic nerve. Eureka! I now know the cause of my cloudy vision in my left eye, which, by the way, is starting to clear up now that my toe is healing.

Must Read Articles Related to Broken Toe

Broken Foot
Broken Foot Broken bones (also called fractures) in the foot are very common. In fact, about 1 out of every 10 broken bones occurs in the foot.learn more >>
Bruises A bruise is a common skin injury that results in a discoloration of the skin. Symptoms and signs include pain and discolored skin. Applying a cold compress may ...learn more >>
Cast Care
Cast Care A cast is a rigid protective material of plaster or fiberglass. Cast care includes keeping the cast clean and dry, not putting anything down inside the cast, or...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Toe:

Broken Toe - Healing

Did your broken toe affect your daily movements and activities?

Broken Toe - Treatment

What was the treatment for your broken toe?

Broken Toe - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your broken toe?