Viewer Comments: Broken Toe - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Toe:

Broken Toe - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Broken Toe.

Comment from: fajenkins, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I was walking in my apartment hallway to answer the front door. In the process I banged my foot against the hallway wall. I was in some pain, but not enough to warrant an ER visit. Most of the pain dissipated by the end of the night shift. Today, I noticed that my toe and the surrounding area is sore and numb, and the pain returned and really won't bend. Off to the doctor tomorrow. I'm sure it's broken.

Comment from: alyson, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I badly broke my big toe and crushed my whole foot and I also hurt my knee when a stool collapsed on me. I was in plaster for 5 weeks and thought that was the last of it. However, it has been around 9 weeks and I am still in agony. Now the cold weather is here it is constantly swollen and wakes me up at night I am at a loss as to how long this is going to take to heal.

Comment from: Andrea, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I hit my baby toe on a marble coffee table 2 nights ago, and immediately knew that it was broken. I don't have any insurance, and knew from having a broken baby toe in the past a few years ago, that besides taking costly x-rays, buddy taping, foot elevation, and a surgical shoe (which, I still have), there was not much else that the hospital did. Thank goodness for this site so that besides the things which I mentioned, I will also ice my foot.

Comment from: 35-44 Female Published: November 30

I fractured my left little toe 3 months ago. The worse of it is that I actually went to see my family physician 2 days after my injury and she said it wasn't broken! She said that I could buddy tape it to make it more comfortable. I taped it for a few days but it was more painful. The bruising spread to cover the side of my foot and the top of my foot for the next two weeks. The bruising and discoloration finally subsided after 5 weeks or so. I could only wear open sandals for the longest time before being able to wear sneakers. It took me 2 months before being able to walk on it properly. I have never had an X-ray since my doctor said it wasn't broken. Here we are, 3 months later, and my toe remains as swollen and red as the day I injured it. I cannot flex my toe properly and feel a sharp pain under my foot whenever I try. I can only wear a wide width sneaker on my left foot as any other closed shoe causes too much rubbing on my little toe which irritates it even more. I am very frustrated with it taking so long to heal. Winter is coming and I will need to wear boots soon. Since it has been so long, I am sure that I broke my little toe even though my family doctor was of the opinion that I didn't. Now it is probably too late to get anything done since it has already been healing improperly all this time. My advice to anyone out there is if you suspect you fractured your toe, go to the ER and get an X-ray done ASAP. Don't be a fool like I was and believe a doctor who tells you it is not a fracture without having an X-ray done.

When I was taking my plate to the sink after dinner, my dog's crate was in the way. I tried to step over it, but I got my foot caught in it. I didn't realize it right away and I yanked my foot out of the crate. I fell on the floor and screamed. After I recovered a little bit, I looked at my foot. Three of my toes were bleeding and two of them looked a little weird. I grabbed my phone and called one of my family members (who is a nurse) and asked about it and the other toes. She said one of them was broken, one was most likely fractured, and the third was just bruised. I took good care of it, and I never went to the doctor! It healed quickly and although it was painful, it is over now.

Comment from: E, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I broke my toe when I dropped my laptop on it. It's bruised and very, very painful.

Comment from: rrosetta, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I woke up Sunday morning, Nov. 8th, with pain in my right foot, mostly the pinky toe. Best I can figure, I had given the hard plaster wall next to my bed a really good swift kick. The foot hadn't yet started to swell, so I guess that's what woke me up. I should have iced it, but didn't. I tried taping it to the next toe, but anything I did hurt even worse. It's Saturday, the 14th, and It still hurts to put sneakers on (it's cold and rainy here -- I only do that if I absolutely have to go outside). I can wear flip flops or house shoes but that hurts -- I'm most comfortable barefoot.

Comment from: Sofie, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

I broke my big toe yesterday and it really hurts, the best advice I can give is keep it "buddy wrapped" and elevated, if you can try to get an x-ray.

Must Read Articles Related to Broken Toe

Broken Foot
Broken Foot Broken bones (also called fractures) in the foot are very common. In fact, about 1 out of every 10 broken bones occurs in the foot. Here's why. The human ...learn more >>
Bruises
Bruises A bruise is a common skin injury that results in a discoloration of the skin. Symptoms and signs include pain and discolored skin. Applying a cold compress may ...learn more >>
Cast Care
Cast Care A cast is a rigid protective material of plaster or fiberglass. Cast care includes keeping the cast clean and dry, not putting anything down inside the cast, or...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Toe:

Broken Toe - Healing

Did your broken toe affect your daily movements and activities?

Broken Toe - Treatment

What was the treatment for your broken toe?

Broken Toe - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your broken toe?