Viewer Comments: Broken Toe - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Toe:

Broken Toe - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with broken toe.

Comment from: Lyndylou, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

I broke the little toe on my left foot 5 days ago. It is very painful and I have been told it will take up to 4 weeks to heal. As a busy working Mom I am not happy having to keep off my feet for a while as I am always on the go and like it that way! I have been hobbling about a little bit but suffered more pain afterwards so I had better do what the Docs say and rest it, good job my hubby and kidz love me!!

Comment from: Donna D, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 27

I stubbed my 4th toe 2 days ago. I'm also diabetic. Toe doesn't really hurt but bruising is continuing to spread down into my foot. There is a dark purple ring at the base of toe. I have not sought treatment.

Comment from: Hallie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I broke my left pinky toe and a month later broke the toe next to it. It has been almost a year and now I have a hard bump under my foot that hurts. It is about an inch or so below my toe, so I am not sure if it is bone or what.

Comment from: Is it broken???, Female (Patient) Published: February 11

Yesterday I was playing indoor soccer in gym class, and a girl came at me because I had the ball. She accidentally kicked my pinky toe very hard, and kind of at a diagonal direction. The pain was excruciating. It bruised pretty badly throughout the day, and then I had a volleyball game that I couldn't miss. So I played and it seemed okay while I was playing, but once I stopped and tried to walk off the court it hurt so badly! I can't bend the middle joint of it, and it's still bruised and slightly swollen. It hurts like crazy to walk on it as well. I wonder if it is broken.

Comment from: fenway, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

Add me to the list of little 'pinky' broken toes! We had just received a delivery of wood for our wood stove and in the process of stacking it, one of the frozen logs landed directly on my toe! It was instantly painful. I realize there is nothing you can do for a broken pinky toe except taping it, which makes it hurt even more! Keep it elevated and use an NSAID if possible to help keep pain and swelling at bay. It has only been one week, and from what I hear, it will be at least 4-6 more :(

Comment from: injured, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

Can anyone advise me or direct me on what to do as far as treatment in decreasing pain and swelling. In short I was in a car accident and my ankle was crushed and I suffered 3 broken toes. I have had an external fixator, a cast, permanent hardware in my ankle, physical therapy and 11 months later my toes are stiff and will not bend completely which makes it awkward/painful when walking. There is soreness (toes) from the inside out and sore to the touch. My ankle still swells and my toes (tip) burn at times. The hardware pokes at my skin and my foot is sore and tight quite often. I am still under the doctor's care, but he offers little direction on remedies or treatment.

Comment from: JJ, 55-64 Female Published: September 11

In March, while on holiday, I broke my left baby toe. The very same day the eyesight in my left eye became extremely cloudy. However, I thought these two things were totally unrelated. When I returned home I sought out an ophthalmologist and all was well as far as he was concerned with my eyesight. However, I still continued to have bouts of cloudy vision. The other day watching a doctor on TV brought it all to light. He said that the baby toe is connected to the part of the brain in the back of your head that affects the optic nerve. Eureka! I now know the cause of my cloudy vision in my left eye, which, by the way, is starting to clear up now that my toe is healing.

Comment from: kellydugs272727, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

My left foot accidentally kicked the radiator last night when I walked over to the bedroom window to look outside. The big toe took the brunt of it. It did hurt and was very slightly black and blue last night. The black and blue is now gone, thankfully. The big toe does still hurt today, but isn't unbearable. There is not much I can do for it besides tape it to another toe for support.

Comment from: KW, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

My baby toe hit an open door and basically did a split from the next one. Knew it was broken since I have had two other broken toes. Five weeks later it still is hurting. I know there's nothing that can be done.

Comment from: babygirl43, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 23

I was walking down the hallway and I hit my pinky toe on my right foot. I immediately felt pain and almost dropped to my knees. I finished getting ready while limping around and when I sat down to put on my shoes I realized that my toe was already turning black and blue and was swollen and stiff. I could not bend it! The pain was unbearable! I knew then I had broken my pinky toe! The doctor says to keep it elevated, but I work and can't do that!

Must Read Articles Related to Broken Toe

Broken Foot
Broken Foot Broken bones (also called fractures) in the foot are very common. In fact, about 1 out of every 10 broken bones occurs in the foot.learn more >>
Bruises A bruise is a common skin injury that results in a discoloration of the skin. Symptoms and signs include pain and discolored skin. Applying a cold compress may ...learn more >>
Cast Care
Cast Care A cast is a rigid protective material of plaster or fiberglass. Cast care includes keeping the cast clean and dry, not putting anything down inside the cast, or...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Toe:

Broken Toe - Healing

Did your broken toe affect your daily movements and activities?

Broken Toe - Treatment

What was the treatment for your broken toe?

Broken Toe - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your broken toe?