Viewer Comments: Broken Toe - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Toe:

Broken Toe - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with broken toe.

Comment from: JJ, 55-64 Female Published: September 11

In March, while on holiday, I broke my left baby toe. The very same day the eyesight in my left eye became extremely cloudy. However, I thought these two things were totally unrelated. When I returned home I sought out an ophthalmologist and all was well as far as he was concerned with my eyesight. However, I still continued to have bouts of cloudy vision. The other day watching a doctor on TV brought it all to light. He said that the baby toe is connected to the part of the brain in the back of your head that affects the optic nerve. Eureka! I now know the cause of my cloudy vision in my left eye, which, by the way, is starting to clear up now that my toe is healing.

Comment from: kellydugs272727, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

My left foot accidentally kicked the radiator last night when I walked over to the bedroom window to look outside. The big toe took the brunt of it. It did hurt and was very slightly black and blue last night. The black and blue is now gone, thankfully. The big toe does still hurt today, but isn't unbearable. There is not much I can do for it besides tape it to another toe for support.

Comment from: KW, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

My baby toe hit an open door and basically did a split from the next one. Knew it was broken since I have had two other broken toes. Five weeks later it still is hurting. I know there's nothing that can be done.

Comment from: babygirl43, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 23

I was walking down the hallway and I hit my pinky toe on my right foot. I immediately felt pain and almost dropped to my knees. I finished getting ready while limping around and when I sat down to put on my shoes I realized that my toe was already turning black and blue and was swollen and stiff. I could not bend it! The pain was unbearable! I knew then I had broken my pinky toe! The doctor says to keep it elevated, but I work and can't do that!

Comment from: hurtmary, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I hit the iron foot of my bed “ hard. I know it's broken, but that was a week and a half ago since the injury and it still hurts like the dickens. I'm wondering when the pain will subside.

Comment from: Molly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 03

I broke my 3 toe 6 weeks ago. Buddy taping it caused more pain. It remains swollen and discolored. I still can't run or walk any distance, and I can't help but wonder how long it will take before my toe returns to normal.

Comment from: 2shay23, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I was running through my house playing with my kids and hit my index toe really hard on the corner leg of the coffee table. I felt immediate pain in the toe followed by stiffness and swelling. I now cannot move my toe up or down without uploading out from severe pain. I have to walk on the side of my left foot because walking normal and putting pressure on the toe is UNBEARABLE!

Comment from: fajenkins, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I was walking in my apartment hallway to answer the front door. In the process I banged my foot against the hallway wall. I was in some pain, but not enough to warrant an ER visit. Most of the pain dissipated by the end of the night shift. Today, I noticed that my toe and the surrounding area is sore and numb, and the pain returned and really won't bend. Off to the doctor tomorrow. I'm sure it's broken.

Comment from: alyson, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I badly broke my big toe and crushed my whole foot and I also hurt my knee when a stool collapsed on me. I was in plaster for 5 weeks and thought that was the last of it. However, it has been around 9 weeks and I am still in agony. Now the cold weather is here it is constantly swollen and wakes me up at night I am at a loss as to how long this is going to take to heal.

Comment from: Andrea, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I hit my baby toe on a marble coffee table 2 nights ago, and immediately knew that it was broken. I don't have any insurance, and knew from having a broken baby toe in the past a few years ago, that besides taking costly x-rays, buddy taping, foot elevation, and a surgical shoe (which, I still have), there was not much else that the hospital did. Thank goodness for this site so that besides the things which I mentioned, I will also ice my foot.

Must Read Articles Related to Broken Toe

Broken Foot
Broken Foot Broken bones (also called fractures) in the foot are very common. A learn more >>
Bruises
Bruises A bruise is a common skin injury that results in a discoloration of the skin. Symptoms and signs include pain and discolored skin. Applying a cold compress may ...learn more >>
Cast Care
Cast Care A cast is a rigid protective material of plaster or fiberglass. Cast care includes keeping the cast clean and dry, not putting anything down inside the cast, or...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Toe:

Broken Toe - Healing

Did your broken toe affect your daily movements and activities?

Broken Toe - Treatment

What was the treatment for your broken toe?

Broken Toe - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your broken toe?