Viewer Comments: Broken Toe - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Toe:

Broken Toe - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Broken Toe.

Comment from: loop, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I am 10 years old. I broke my toe by slamming it into the wall and went for help. It really hurts.

Comment from: dolly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I turned and my toes (between third & fourth toe) hit a dining room chair leg, it was extremely painful (I have done this before) however this incident has caused a lot more pain and it has been 10 days and the pain has increased and I can barely walk.

Comment from: crazychick5472, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

I was getting ready for school one morning when I noticed the cat was trying to jump in beside me terrapins, so I quickly ran over to grab the cat and ended up knocking my wooden jewelry box which hit my big toe. Immediately it started to swell and bruising was appearing. My toe actually locked so I couldn't move. The pain was really severe, but I've not been to get it check out.

Comment from: CPombo1406, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

I injured my large toe on Friday morning. I'm quite certain it's broken since I broke it 5 years ago and it never healed properly because I was told by doctors that there's nothing they can do. It is currently bruised, discolored, and quite painful. I haven't slept much in the past 2 nights. A sharp pain awakens me and sends me scurrying to the freezer for a fresh ice pack. The swelling has diminished only minimally and the ice pack relief lasts only so long. I haven't been able to bend the toe since the last time I broke it and I hesitate going for x-rays to be told yep it's broken, but there's nothing we can do outside of take my money. It's almost impossible to stay off my feet since I'm caretaker for my 81 year old mother and various animals.

Comment from: M a, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 29

I was playing football when a player stepped on my right foot with studs on around the small toe area there was lots of pain and lots of swelling also the movement of a bone is also felt. I'm not sure, but I really think it's broken.

Comment from: tpresotto, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

OK, I had knee surgery and fell on the knee while my husband was trying to help me to the car. My toes on the other foot curled under and all my weight onto my toes. Now, not only is the second to purple, swollen and very painful, I'm unable to curl or move my big toe and my two small toes only halfway curl.

Comment from: Stacey, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I broke my little toe and couldn't believe the pain. I had guests arriving in 20 minutes and three kids staring at me wondering what they could do for mummy. I pulled myself together, quickly painted my toe nails and adorned a pair of thongs as opposed to closed-in shoes. I was totally run off my feet with a kids' part and no time for any icing, elevating or resting of any kind. My mum , a nurse, arrived and noticed it looked broken. It was too sore to touch, so I just left it. For the next few days it got more swollen and lots of bruising covered my whole foot, from just one little toe. I struggled on for two weeks avoiding shoes and explaining my fat, blue/black toe. Everyone told me there's nothing you can do but buddy strap it which I had started doing once I could bear it. It was painful, but I had to keep working. As a music and dance teacher, ouch! Then someone told me that if it is broken and the bone doesn't heal straight then I could have more trouble and it could interrupt my work flow even more. So I went off to the x-ray clinic feeling silly making a fuss of such a small digit. Turns out it was dislocated and broken right through on a jagged looking angle. As it turns out, that the buddy strapping had straightened out the dislocation gradually and kept the toe fairly straight. I had it checked out before it was too late for the jagged break to heal the wrong way and I've kept it wrapped and taken extra care not to just plough on through teaching my dance classes. Taking a bit of time off to heal and take a little break seriously will benefit me in the long run. So I think it's worth taking care of our little pinkies even if it feels a little silly and a big fuss about nothing at the time. I'm glad mine is back on the straight and narrow!

Comment from: learning, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 28

A year ago a very heavy object fell on my right foot. My big toe was crushed as well as bones in my foot. Luck was with me because x-rays revealed the bones were lined up perfectly and I did not have to have surgery. My foot was in a boot for 8 weeks. It was very painful. Now the big toe does not bend and hurts a great deal of the time (depending on shoes I wear). No more high heels for me. Just glad I didn't have surgery.

Must Read Articles Related to Broken Toe

Broken Foot
Broken Foot Broken bones (also called fractures) in the foot are very common. In fact, about 1 out of every 10 broken bones occurs in the foot. Here's why. The human ...learn more >>
Bruises
Bruises A bruise is a common skin injury that results in a discoloration of the skin. Symptoms and signs include pain and discolored skin. Applying a cold compress may ...learn more >>
Cast Care
Cast Care A cast is a rigid protective material of plaster or fiberglass. Cast care includes keeping the cast clean and dry, not putting anything down inside the cast, or...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Toe:

Broken Toe - Healing

Did your broken toe affect your daily movements and activities?

Broken Toe - Treatment

What was the treatment for your broken toe?

Broken Toe - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your broken toe?