Viewer Comments: Broken Toe - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Toe:

Broken Toe - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with broken toe.

...
Comment from: Dingo, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 16

I slammed my foot in the dark, and it hurt intensely for a few minutes. Almost no pain for the first two days, then it began to bother me. I taped for a few weeks, then went to a general physician. Never let them take non-weight bearing x-rays if you are able to stand. I got them and they came back negative. Podiatrist took weight bearing version a few weeks later, which revealed the break. It is almost two weeks wearing a splint and it hurts more now than ever.

Comment from: Echo, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 23

I got up in the dark to go to the bathroom. I knocked my shoulder on the first bathroom doorframe, lost my balance and stumbled forward, slamming my right little toe into the second doorframe. The pain was severe and I had to hang my foot over the bed to sleep. The next day it felt like a piece of broken glass was inside. It bruised up my foot and the toe was swollen and cherry red. I tried buddy taping for the broken toe, but that hurt worse and after a day I took it off. It's been two weeks and I'm just now walking with a mild limp instead of having to ride a cart at the food store. I'm still in very loose soft flip flops.

Comment from: Ashisu, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 20

About 6 years ago, I was walking through my apartment and hit my right foot on a door frame. The pain was awful, and I cried out and fell to my knees. It took me a few minutes to recover and hobble to my couch. I did not notice any immediate swelling or bruising. It wasn't tender to the touch, but movement and walking were very painful. I tried to walk to my bedroom and was in tears by the time I reached the bed. By the next morning, the pain had lessened enough that I was able to walk but with a pronounced limp. I could not run if I tried. The area around my small toes was swollen and bruised by that time. I went to a clinic that evening and had my foot x-rayed. My fourth toe (next to my pinky toe) on my right foot had a hair-line fracture. All the doctor could do was buddy wrap it. It took about 6 weeks to fully heal.

Comment from: Ann, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I stubbed my little toe on a box and realized it wasn't right when I looked down and it was pointing outwards. The doctor sent me up for an x-ray and I had indeed broken it. I had to have gas and air while they put it back into place which didn't work, so had to have injections to numb it. Now I've been strapped up for 5 weeks but hopefully on the mend as it doesn't hurt. So see your doctor if you think it's broken, don't leave it and never strap it up unless seen by a professional first. It could do more harm than good, so the doctor told me.

Comment from: Jade, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I had just woken up and was still half asleep and was going to the restroom and on my way to the bathroom my 3 little toes got caught on my child gate, which was extremely painful. I kind of did the shake to the foot because it felt jammed. I really paid no mind to it for the rest of the day until I tried to go to sleep. I couldn't even lay on my hip on the leg on which I hit my toes. It was a constant throb feeling all the way up to my hip. I am concerned I have broken my toes.

Comment from: CloteeA, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I was walking through the house when my right foot hit the bottom of our exercise bike. I yelled out in pain! When I looked down my little toe was sticking out at an angle. It was burning and throbbing very badly. I then hobbled over to the couch and decided to position it back into place. I gently grabbed it and twisted it back into place. I could hear the bones rattling like dominoes and immediately knew it was broken. I held it in place for a few minutes but when I let go it moved again. I grabbed some tape from the kitchen and taped all of the toes together. The pain was horrific! Now, 4 days later I can't walk on it without my entire foot hurting. I took 800 milligrams Ibuprofen before the swelling began to subside. I hope to never break a toe again.

Comment from: michelle, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I broke my toe next to the pinkie toe when I hit the bed. It was obviously broken as it was sideways over the pinkie toe. I sat on couch, took a deep breath and put it back in place, taped up and off to work. I am sore, yeah, but I expected that.

Comment from: Robbo, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 17

Ten days ago, I stubbed my toes on the door. Instant agony and when I looked down the outer three toes were dislocated. I managed to straighten two but my little toe wouldn't go. I went to the hospital and saw a doctor. My pinky was still dislocated and had a displaced fracture. I had it reduced and all three toes taped. Two days later I stubbed them again. It's now ten days on and I'm still in agony with the pinky.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Broken Toe

Broken Foot
Broken Foot Broken bones (also called fractures) in the foot are very common. A learn more >>
Bruises
Bruises A bruise is a common skin injury that results in a discoloration of the skin. Symptoms and signs include pain and discolored skin. Applying a cold compress may ...learn more >>
Cast Care
Cast Care A cast is a rigid protective material of plaster or fiberglass. Cast care includes keeping the cast clean and dry, not putting anything down inside the cast, or...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Toe:

Broken Toe - Healing

Did your broken toe affect your daily movements and activities?

Broken Toe - Treatment

What was the treatment for your broken toe?

Broken Toe - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your broken toe?