Viewer Comments: Broken Toe - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Toe:

Broken Toe - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with broken toe.

...
Comment from: Bella, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

I sat my 8 month old on the lounge with the ottoman pushed up to it so if he rolled forward he still had plenty of room to roll. I was cleaning the kitty litter standing about 3 meters away when he decided that he can now climb up on things and started scaling the side of the lounge. I ran straight towards him and kicked my pinky toe very hard on the leg of our solid wood dining table. I heard it crack and was worried to look at my foot as I knew this wasn't the ordinary just stub your toe situation. I screamed out and my hubby came to the lounge room; I couldn't walk the pain was horrid. My son didn't fall which was all that mattered to me but when I looked at my toe and it was sideways I knew I better go to the emergency room. X-ray confirmed it was broken and the doctor then stuck local anesthetic in the broken toe and was pulling it for around 5 minutes to get it straight. The needles were horrific and I have a high pain tolerance. I went for another x-ray to see if it was straight which it was and it was taped and I was sent home. This was this morning so I'm still in throbbing aching pain; stupid little toes.

Comment from: Janice, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I broke my toe climbing the stairs 5 months ago. I thought I just stubbed it and continued to stand on it at a meeting that evening, perhaps making it worse. After 10 weeks if was still red and a bit swollen. I had it x-rayed and the doctor gave me a prescription anti-inflammation pill. That, along with wearing steel plate in my sneaker finally helped move the healing along. Now it still feels a bit off after exercising and has some redness, but hoping it will be fully healed in the next few weeks.

Comment from: Dingo, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 16

I slammed my foot in the dark, and it hurt intensely for a few minutes. Almost no pain for the first two days, then it began to bother me. I taped for a few weeks, then went to a general physician. Never let them take non-weight bearing x-rays if you are able to stand. I got them and they came back negative. Podiatrist took weight bearing version a few weeks later, which revealed the break. It is almost two weeks wearing a splint and it hurts more now than ever.

Comment from: Echo, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 23

I got up in the dark to go to the bathroom. I knocked my shoulder on the first bathroom doorframe, lost my balance and stumbled forward, slamming my right little toe into the second doorframe. The pain was severe and I had to hang my foot over the bed to sleep. The next day it felt like a piece of broken glass was inside. It bruised up my foot and the toe was swollen and cherry red. I tried buddy taping for the broken toe, but that hurt worse and after a day I took it off. It's been two weeks and I'm just now walking with a mild limp instead of having to ride a cart at the food store. I'm still in very loose soft flip flops.

Comment from: Ashisu, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 20

About 6 years ago, I was walking through my apartment and hit my right foot on a door frame. The pain was awful, and I cried out and fell to my knees. It took me a few minutes to recover and hobble to my couch. I did not notice any immediate swelling or bruising. It wasn't tender to the touch, but movement and walking were very painful. I tried to walk to my bedroom and was in tears by the time I reached the bed. By the next morning, the pain had lessened enough that I was able to walk but with a pronounced limp. I could not run if I tried. The area around my small toes was swollen and bruised by that time. I went to a clinic that evening and had my foot x-rayed. My fourth toe (next to my pinky toe) on my right foot had a hair-line fracture. All the doctor could do was buddy wrap it. It took about 6 weeks to fully heal.

Comment from: Ann, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I stubbed my little toe on a box and realized it wasn't right when I looked down and it was pointing outwards. The doctor sent me up for an x-ray and I had indeed broken it. I had to have gas and air while they put it back into place which didn't work, so had to have injections to numb it. Now I've been strapped up for 5 weeks but hopefully on the mend as it doesn't hurt. So see your doctor if you think it's broken, don't leave it and never strap it up unless seen by a professional first. It could do more harm than good, so the doctor told me.

Comment from: Jade, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I had just woken up and was still half asleep and was going to the restroom and on my way to the bathroom my 3 little toes got caught on my child gate, which was extremely painful. I kind of did the shake to the foot because it felt jammed. I really paid no mind to it for the rest of the day until I tried to go to sleep. I couldn't even lay on my hip on the leg on which I hit my toes. It was a constant throb feeling all the way up to my hip. I am concerned I have broken my toes.

Comment from: CloteeA, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I was walking through the house when my right foot hit the bottom of our exercise bike. I yelled out in pain! When I looked down my little toe was sticking out at an angle. It was burning and throbbing very badly. I then hobbled over to the couch and decided to position it back into place. I gently grabbed it and twisted it back into place. I could hear the bones rattling like dominoes and immediately knew it was broken. I held it in place for a few minutes but when I let go it moved again. I grabbed some tape from the kitchen and taped all of the toes together. The pain was horrific! Now, 4 days later I can't walk on it without my entire foot hurting. I took 800 milligrams Ibuprofen before the swelling began to subside. I hope to never break a toe again.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Broken Toe

Broken Foot
Broken Foot Broken bones (also called fractures) in the foot are very common. A learn more >>
Bruises
Bruises A bruise is a common skin injury that results in a discoloration of the skin. Symptoms and signs include learn more >>
Cast Care
Cast Care A cast is a rigid protective material of plaster or fiberglass. Cast care includes keeping the cast clean and dry, not putting anything down inside the cast, or...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Toe:

Broken Toe - Cause and Healing Time

How did you break your toe, and how long did it take to heal?

Broken Toe - Treatment

What was the treatment for your broken toe?

Broken Toe - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your broken toe?