Viewer Comments: Broken Toe - Healing

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Toe:

Broken Toe - Healing

Did your broken toe affect your daily movements and activities?

Comment from: bonehealer, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 25

My wife ran into the coffee table last night. She said it really hurt. I told her it was fine last night but today it really hurt so she went to the ER and they told her it was broke and swollen. They gave her a flat shoe and told her she'll be fine. Good because we're going on vacation on Sunday and she doesn't want any problems.

Comment from: Crush, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 11

My big toe on my right foot was crushed and cut. I received 5 stitches at the base of my nail. I could move my toe but X-rays showed it was broken. I keep my foot up whenever possible to help alleviate swelling. I'm in an air cast. This is great as it offers protection from stubbing my toe but it does through my hip out a bit if I walk too much while at work. I was told by doc it would take approx. two months to heal.

Comment from: brendaimp, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I hit my baby toe on a piece of furniture at my job about a week before my parents' 50th wedding anniversary banquet. I soaked and iced my foot before the occasion so I would be able to wear a shoe. I was able to put the shoe on but after a few minutes I had to removed them and put on flip flops. The next day we had a cookout and again I could not put on a shoe. My mom insisted that I check it out, so I went to emergency the next day. As it turned out my toe was indeed fractured.

Comment from: jmorrone, 55-64 Female Published: August 10

I hit my baby toe against the edge of the trimming of a wall. I heard a crack. There was swelling. I am able to walk, but it's painful.

Comment from: shannon, Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I was cleaning my house and somehow stumped my toe and fell over pretty hard. I had bruises all over me from head to toe but my big toe hurt the most. It was nine days ago and the black/blue/red bruises have almost all gone away but by the end of the day after walking, standing, working on it, it is swollen again, every night. I always heard there was nothing you can do for a broken toe but after ready this I realize I was wrong .I am going tomorrow to get an X-ray, I know it is broken and pain is getting worse.

Comment from: Inky, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I was playing football at a party when I stubbed one of my smaller toes against the ground. I sat on the ground for about five minutes, assuming it was just an average stub, and that the pain would recede quickly. However, after half an hour, it had not gotten any better and had begun swelling too. So I decided that it needed more attention. Thankfully, a relative on site was a doctor, so she checked it out. She went to buddy tapping, and said it was most likely broken. It is hurting badly today, so I'm keeping it up and not doing much. I hope it starts feeling better soon!

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

I broke my middle toe, which an X-ray confirmed. It's been two weeks later and I still have pain and swelling. It was taped to the healthy toe, but was told there isn't much more I can do.

Comment from: Judy Tuhy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I broke my left pinky toe recently, about 25 years after the right pinky toe. This time it was x-rayed, two breaks. Will buddy tape for around six weeks and wear thong sandals. Thank goodness it's summer! Oh yes, icing helps as well as time in the recliner.

Comment from: jmaleski, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

Yes it has. I feel a lot of pain when trying to walk. My toes seem to bend. Bruising is black and blue around my toes.

Comment from: gillia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

Yes, I cannot buzz around like I normally do. I can only walk slowly and with difficulty. I cannot drive too far or else it hurts and I am debilitated because cannot exercise and cannot do much.

Comment from: Valerie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I was putting clothes away in my daughter's room and decided to use my foot to move the laundry basket. Well it just so happen that the closet door stick out when it open and I hit my middle toe on my right foot and boy did I say some nasty words under my breath! The next morning it was just lightly bruised but after the second morning it was a pretty purple and blue.

Must Read Articles Related to Broken Toe

Broken Foot
Broken Foot Broken bones (also called fractures) in the foot are very common. A learn more >>
Bruises
Bruises A bruise is a common skin injury that results in a discoloration of the skin. Symptoms and signs include pain and discolored skin. Applying a cold compress may ...learn more >>
Cast Care
Cast Care A cast is a rigid protective material of plaster or fiberglass. Cast care includes keeping the cast clean and dry, not putting anything down inside the cast, or...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Toe:

Broken Toe - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with broken toe.

Broken Toe - Treatment

What was the treatment for your broken toe?

Broken Toe - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your broken toe?