Viewer Comments: Broken Toe - Healing

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Toe:

Broken Toe - Healing

Did your broken toe affect your daily movements and activities?

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I stubbed my fourth toe on my nephew's athletic shoe on Christmas Eve. I saw stars and wanted to throw up. I knew immediately that it was broken. The toe was totally out of alignment but because I had been "celebrating" for several hours, I felt empowered to bring it back into alignment. I heard 3 distinct snaps and while it was still very painful, felt better than it did before I set it. Not wanting to deal with emergency care over the Christmas weekend, I iced my toe, kept it elevated and tried not to walk on it. 72 hours later I went to my doc who x-rayed the toe and congratulated me on setting it so well. You see, I broke it in 2 places on the oblique. I am now in a boot with an estimated heal time of 4-6 weeks.

Comment from: Miss Bonne, Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I jumped up to go into the kitchen to get back before my program was back on, and I didn't quite clear the kitchen wall. I literally heard the bone crack in the toe next to the baby toe, and I knew I was in trouble. I suffered all night long went to the emergency room the next morning to find I had broken my toe.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

Ii am walking a lot slower at the moment and with a limp. It's amazing how one little toe can cause so much complication in walking.

Comment from: buddy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

I have a horizontal fracture of the little toe and the swelling has not gone down for over a month.

Comment from: black tonail, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I dropped a marble table on my big toe 6 weeks ago. Doctors kept telling me it wasn't broken. I finally went to a specialist. Sure enough, it's broken and I'm in a boot for the next 6 weeks.

Comment from: Dina, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

My fourth toe was caught by the computer cord on the floor. It hurt badly and changed direction. Automatically I tucked it back in place. Next day walked on it and my foot hurt. The second day my foot was swollen and went to the hospital and x-ray showed fractured toe. Doctor wanted to put a splint to immobilize the foot but I couldn't take the option as my daughter was getting married in 10 days and had a lot to do. Doctor then taped it to the next toe and was advised to rest and not to put weight on the foot. I was prescribed anti-inflammatory and pain reliever pills. However, I did a lot of walking and stood a lot on the foot due to the circumstances and right after the wedding went back to the doctor to put a splint and I rested for four weeks.

Comment from: weldingwalleye, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 09

I was loading my boat at a landing it was very slippery got my big toe in between concrete pads slipped, twisted and broke my big toe. I realized it was broke when I noticed in the water my toe was facing the wrong way.

I broke middle toe on left foot while trying to carry large television set downstairs. It's been a month and I still have some swelling and discoloration. The X-ray indicated that the toe was definitely broken. The mistake I've made is wearing low heel shoes when going out to dinner. The boot is so ugly, but I am wearing it more often.

Comment from: bb64, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 18

My 9-year-old has a small fracture to big toe the hospital said it will heal by itself, but didnt bandage it or anything my daughter is really in pain trying to get around, as shoes really hurt her.

Comment from: Rph, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I broke my toe and yes, as a pharmacist, all the standing and constant movement makes the pain excruciating. I had to take a few days off work until I could wear a shoe and stand without pain.

Comment from: trixie, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I broke my toe and now it hurts to even try to move around.

Must Read Articles Related to Broken Toe

Broken Foot
Broken Foot Broken bones (also called fractures) in the foot are very common. In fact, about 1 out of every 10 broken bones occurs in the foot.learn more >>
Bruises A bruise is a common skin injury that results in a discoloration of the skin. Symptoms and signs include pain and discolored skin. Applying a cold compress may ...learn more >>
Cast Care
Cast Care A cast is a rigid protective material of plaster or fiberglass. Cast care includes keeping the cast clean and dry, not putting anything down inside the cast, or...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Toe:

Broken Toe - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with broken toe.

Broken Toe - Treatment

What was the treatment for your broken toe?

Broken Toe - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your broken toe?