Viewer Comments: Broken Toe - Healing

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Toe:

Broken Toe - Healing

Did your broken toe affect your daily movements and activities?

Comment from: mskat1954, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

Broke 2nd toe in from little toe left foot about 11 years ago. It was completely facing backwards. I flipped it back into position, taped it. Went to hospital next day and doctor gave me a wooden shoe and said I did a good job. There was nothing left for him to do, then I got the bill. Last week stubbed and broke little toe, left foot by stubbing it against a stool middle of night. Was bent in half so I put it back taped it and found another wooden shoe from when I had a bad sprain. There is not much you can do. My doctor says to put a cotton ball between the bad toe and good toe and tape. That's it.

Comment from: petitmiam, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I used to walk for exercise for sometimes 2-3 hours at a time. I can't do that now, about 10 minutes is my limit. I also need to cut back my hours of work, about 50-60 per week currently, lots of walking. Perhaps because of this, my fracture is ununited after 5 months. For the first 3 months I didn't know I had a fracture, just that I was in a lot of pain daily. I have to have surgery now, and that will definitely affect daily activities.

Comment from: Jayne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

Yes it did, I work in an office, and going to fax machine or photo copier took twice as long. Getting up and going to the bathroom is also been a problem, as it is so far away from my desk, however as far as work is concerned, having a broken toe does not prevent me from doing my job. The hospital did not offer me any kind of walking aid, therefore I am finding getting about hard, as I am aware that I am very heavy as 16stone, and trying not to put weight on the foot with the broken toe is causing issues elsewhere in my body.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

I've stubbed my toes before and one is even bent sideways, but oh this time a ten pound weight was dropped on my this little piggy stays home toe! I could wiggle the top of the toe all by itself and felt bone poking out the bottom. Figured I would go to the doctor. He x-rayed it and buddy tapped it. It is very painful at night and keeps me awake. Ice burns and it's hard to stay off my feet for long periods of time. Not sure when to go back to work my job is strenuous and all I do is walk for eight hours.

Comment from: Pattie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

Broke my baby toe on 1/28/11 - was very sore and did get x-ray - which showed it was broke (shower door came down on it). Did everything - ice, elevation, even tried soaking it in warm water, but nothing helps. Now it's 5/13/11 my toe still hurts, loose fitting shoes still hurt my baby toe; my baby toe nail looks like it will eventually come off, but doesn't look like there is any type of blood under the nail. I would like to know if there is anything else I can do to nurse this baby toe back to health. I now have been wearing just flip-flops but that doesn't really seem to help the side around the baby toe still hurts.

Comment from: `, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

Since I have broken my three middle toes, it is extremely painful to move. I can no longer wear flip flops or walk farther than a few feet without extreme pain.

Comment from: Annette, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

It hurts but I can walk so I have to work. It is purple and swollen and if I move it I about wet myself. I have no insurance so I guess I just have to suffer with it.

Comment from: tphilly, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

Not really at first. I walked on my toe for about a month before I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with a fractured big toe.

Must Read Articles Related to Broken Toe

Broken Foot
Broken Foot Broken bones (also called fractures) in the foot are very common. In fact, about 1 out of every 10 broken bones occurs in the foot. Here's why. The human ...learn more >>
Bruises
Bruises A bruise is a common skin injury that results in a discoloration of the skin. Symptoms and signs include pain and discolored skin. Applying a cold compress may ...learn more >>
Cast Care
Cast Care A cast is a rigid protective material of plaster or fiberglass. Cast care includes keeping the cast clean and dry, not putting anything down inside the cast, or...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Toe:

Broken Toe - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Broken Toe.

Broken Toe - Treatment

What was the treatment for your broken toe?

Broken Toe - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your broken toe?