Viewer Comments: Broken Toe - Healing

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Toe:

Broken Toe - Healing

Did your broken toe affect your daily movements and activities?

Comment from: Janice, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

A few days ago I hit my foot on a table and thought I had stubbed my toe! Well to my disbelief I look down at my left foot and all my toes were going straight and my pinky toe decided to take a left turn! Well after going to the doctor and finding out it was broken in half, I am in a boot with it taped to the next toe. Back to the doctor Monday to see if it stayed in place. Lots of swelling and pain to walk! Hanging in there though!

Comment from: SheriO, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

OK on the last day of my 2 week vacation, I slammed my toes into the wooden coffee table while renovating. Said a few curse words for a minute and looked down to see my middle toe on my right foot was sideways. I immediately straightened it. It didn't hurt, so I must have been in shock. Was not going to go to Emergency, but after looking at some cases on line, decided I better. My husband drove me and the X-Ray was a positive break. (But they said I did a great job resetting it.) It's only been over a week, but I have been walking on it and wearing 2" flip flops and even walked to the gym yesterday with my sneakers on. It's got a big lump in the middle, but it's still straight. I hope I haven't done more damage to it. The Doctors didn't give me any special shoe or even recommend one, in fact, they told me to wear closed in shoes with a rigid sole. It really does mess up your everyday living, but it looks like I've got another 5 weeks before it heals.

Comment from: barney, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 27

Kicked a wall with flip-flops on heard and felt a crack no pain at first till I tried to put my foot down felt as though I had pins and needles when I put weight on the foot went to the hospital got x-rays done found that I had broke my 3rd and 4th toe. Treatment is to strap the toes together and to take paracetamol and iburofen for the pain and swelling.

Comment from: Loveablelori, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

i fell down four stairs today. My baby toe on the left foot is all purple and swollen. I can't wear my shoes. I can't move it at all. It's numb.

Comment from: Patty Sue Lindquist, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I fell 15 feet onto cement and my left foot and ankle took the impact. I broke both ankle bones; all the metatarsals; and I broke my heel and the bones that form the arch--the hospital only put my foot and ankle in a cast, but after the cast was taken off, my foot is deformed and hurts like heck. I can tell the metatarsals are broken because they are sore and extremely swollen with some purple coloring. It's been months upon months now. I need help and my doctor doesn't seem to care.

Comment from: Princess, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

I've been in pain from my big toe for over six months after hitting it against the edge of my bed. Swelling has reduced but I can only raise it to a certain degree. After icing and months of pain relief, I went to the doctor who insisted on giving me more pain relief. I in turn insisted on having an X-ray against his advice only to be told that I had indeed fractured my big toe. Now I'm waiting for my doctor to refer me for further treatment at the fracture clinic.

Comment from: bonehealer, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 25

My wife ran into the coffee table last night. She said it really hurt. I told her it was fine last night but today it really hurt so she went to the ER and they told her it was broke and swollen. They gave her a flat shoe and told her she'll be fine. Good because we're going on vacation on Sunday and she doesn't want any problems.

Comment from: Crush, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 11

My big toe on my right foot was crushed and cut. I received 5 stitches at the base of my nail. I could move my toe but X-rays showed it was broken. I keep my foot up whenever possible to help alleviate swelling. I'm in an air cast. This is great as it offers protection from stubbing my toe but it does through my hip out a bit if I walk too much while at work. I was told by doc it would take approx. two months to heal.

Comment from: brendaimp, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I hit my baby toe on a piece of furniture at my job about a week before my parents' 50th wedding anniversary banquet. I soaked and iced my foot before the occasion so I would be able to wear a shoe. I was able to put the shoe on but after a few minutes I had to removed them and put on flip flops. The next day we had a cookout and again I could not put on a shoe. My mom insisted that I check it out, so I went to emergency the next day. As it turned out my toe was indeed fractured.

Must Read Articles Related to Broken Toe

Broken Foot
Broken Foot Broken bones (also called fractures) in the foot are very common. In fact, about 1 out of every 10 broken bones occurs in the foot. Here's why. The human ...learn more >>
Bruises
Bruises A bruise is a common skin injury that results in a discoloration of the skin. Symptoms and signs include pain and discolored skin. Applying a cold compress may ...learn more >>
Cast Care
Cast Care A cast is a rigid protective material of plaster or fiberglass. Cast care includes keeping the cast clean and dry, not putting anything down inside the cast, or...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Toe:

Broken Toe - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Broken Toe.

Broken Toe - Treatment

What was the treatment for your broken toe?

Broken Toe - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your broken toe?