Bronchitis Self-Care and Home Remedies
- The majority of cases of bronchitis stem from viral infections. This means that most cases of bronchitis are short-term and require nothing more than treatment of symptoms to relieve discomfort.
- Antibiotics will not cure a viral illness.
- Experts in the field of infectious disease have been warning for years that overuse of
antibiotics allows bacteria to become resistant to the antibiotics
- Doctors often prescribe antibiotics because they feel pressured by patient's
expectations to receive them. Don't expect to
receive a prescription for an antibiotic if your infection is caused by a virus.
- Acetaminophen (Tylenol),
Nuprin, Advil), or naproxen (Aleve) will help with fever and muscle aches.
- Drinking fluids is very important because fever causes the body to lose
fluid faster. Lung secretions will be thinner and easier to clear when the
patient is well hydrated.
- A cool mist vaporizer or humidifier can help decrease bronchial irritation.
- An over-the-counter (OTC) cough suppressant may be helpful. Preparations with guaifenesin (Robitussin, Breonesin, Mucinex) will loosen secretions; dextromethorphan-the "DM" in most over the counter medications (Benylin, Pertussin, Trocal, Vicks 44) suppresses cough.
- Natural treatments and home remedies for bronchitis include honey, lemon, ginger, bay leaf,
and almonds. Each of these foods has properties that reportedly reduce symptoms
of bronchitis. Consult your health care professional before taking or using any
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 10/22/2012
Must Read Articles Related to Bronchitis
Asthma is a disease that affects the breathing passages of the lungs (bronchioles). Asthma may be caused by genes and environmental factors. Asthma causes wheez...learn more >>
Asthma in Children
Children account for 47.8% of asthma-related visits to the emergency department. Asthma symptoms include wheezing, coughing, and chest tightness. Treatment focu...learn more >>
Asthma in Pregnancy
Experiencing an asthma attack during pregnancy may deprive the fetus of oxygen, so it's important to continue taking the asthma medication that you took before ...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bronchitis: