Viewer Comments: Bronchitis - Diagnosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bronchitis (Chronic):

Bronchitis - Diagnosis

How was your bronchitis diagnosed?

Comment from: Kev, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 03

My bronchitis started out from a slight buildup in my chest. I had loaded my boat in the cold weather and did not dress very warm. The next day was a slight build up. The second day I started coughing. By the 3rd day I was coughing up big globs of yellow phlegm. I thought it was a chest cold. I started taking Mucinex and Advil, which helped a little, but I could not sleep. Finally I went to the doctor, and he gave me antibiotics and an inhaler and benzonatate. I started sleeping but still wheezing and coughing on the 8th day.

Comment from: cougher, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I woke with a dry cough and coughed for 48 hours. By the weekend, I could not cough because I was so sore. I went to urgent care. My chest X-rays revealed a shadow and I was prescribed antibiotics. I took the medicine for a week and started to feel better. I am now ending my second week. I still cough a little and have not regained all my strength. This bronchitis has drained me and will take a few weeks to recover.

Comment from: D., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 23

Woke up with swollen glands and felt like strep throat. I waited a few days to see if it got worse and it did. I was coughing to the extent of dry heaves. The cough hurt my throat severely. I finally ended up in the ER. They sent me home with antibiotics, an inhaler, and some pills to stop the coughing. I hear this can last up to 16 weeks. I dread the thought! It makes my heart and pulse rates jump just to walk round for a bit. Hopefully the meds will all work and I'll get over it sooner.

Comment from: Sambo, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

My first signs were a sore throat, laryngitis and a fever that progressed to a chronic paroxsymal cough with excessive green sputum. Much to my horror, my first doctor, an ENT, diagnosed me with acid reflux and prescribed me proton pump inhibitors. Two weeks later my regular doctor discovered my CRP was 7.9 and performed lung function tests. I also had an X-ray and the doctor prescribed antibiotics and inhalation therapy for acute bronchitis.

Comment from: Aliyahstars, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I'm 14 years old and I've got a really bad cough, but no fever. It went on for a week or more and my parents just told me that it would go away. I threw up about four times a day and had pounding headaches. When I finally went to the doctor he said I had bronchitis and if I waited any longer I could have had an asthma attack. I'm now on an inhaler and antibiotics that I take every 6 hours.

Comment from: Lee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I have had bronchitis for seven days. My wheezing is so loud I am not able to sleep! I have to try to sleep in a recliner but still have trouble. I'm on an antibiotic and an inhaler, neither of which seem to be helping. I want to feel normal again.

Comment from: jo, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I was given a swab test into the nostrils for a flu test.

Comment from: Fairlassie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I was coughing very badly and had a cold for a week. I finally went to the ER and was diagnosed after a chest X-ray. I was given a Z-pak and told to rest and take decongestants.

Comment from: the cougher, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 23

I have bronchitis now about three weeks. It all started with sinusitis, sore throat, chest congestion and then in my bronchial tubes. My sinuses are better but still draining, my sore throat is gone and chest congestion is better, but I still have this aggravating cough.

Must Read Articles Related to Bronchitis

Asthma Asthma is a disease that affects the breathing passages of the learn more >>
Asthma in Children
Asthma in Children Children account for 47.8% of asthma-related visits to the emergency department. Asthma symptoms include wheezing, coughing, and chest tightness. Treatment focu...learn more >>
Asthma in Pregnancy
Asthma in Pregnancy Experiencing an asthma attack during pregnancy may deprive the fetus of oxygen, so it's important to continue taking the asthma medication that you took before ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bronchitis (Chronic):

Bronchitis - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your bronchitis last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Chronic Bronchitis - Causes

If known, what caused your chronic bronchitis?

Chronic Bronchitis - Medical Treatment

What medical treatments have been effective in treating your case of chronic bronchitis?

Chronic Bronchitis - Home Remedies

What home remedies have been helpful in treating your symptoms of chronic bronchitis?

Bronchitis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your bronchitis?

Chronic Bronchitis - Experience

Please share your experience with chronic bronchitis.