Viewer Comments: Bronchitis - Length Symptoms Lasted

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bronchitis:

Bronchitis - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your bronchitis last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Comment from: hope, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I got cold on 10/5. Three weeks later, I could hear the mucus bubbling up in my bronchi before coughing. I was wheezing, coughing a lot. After taking a chest X-ray (to rule out pneumonia), my doctor prescribed antibiotics. Ten days later I felt better, with only some chest "gurgling" left. Unfortunately, on 11/20 my spouse got sick with cold and I followed. This time I recovered faster, only in two weeks, but I still (it is already 12/30) cough 3-5 times a day and have to clear my throat endlessly, like my bronchi persistently produce small quantities of mucus. It seems, it's going to be months before I begin feeling completely healthy again.

Comment from: d56fan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I take antibiotics are not. The outcome and the time line is the same. I have found that Alka Seltzer night time allows me to sleep through the night (propped up on pillows of course), Mucinex DM, and lots of water are the best treatments. After my 2 or 3 days of feeling lousy, I usually get laryngitis for 2 days, then I feel fine and will have a cough that decreases over the next two to four weeks. That's the six week routine for me. Every time I end up going to the doctor, (usually because everyone around me is hassling me to do so). He will send me for an x-ray to make sure there is no pneumonia there never is. He tells me its viral, so antibiotics won't help, and I go home and do the things stated above, and the process is always the same 4 (if really lucky) to 6 weeks to heal.

Comment from: baker1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I have been getting bronchitis for 15+ years now - whenever i get sick, that is what i get. I can tell right away i have it, would go to doctor and get zithromax z-pak. The symptoms would go away in about 2 days. I now have it again, it has been 1 week and 2 days. Went to urgent care on day 5, they said they no longer give antibiotics for bronchitis.

Must Read Articles Related to Bronchitis

Asthma
Asthma Asthma is a disease that affects the breathing passages of the lungs (bronchioles). Asthma may be caused by genes and environmental factors. Asthma causes wheez...learn more >>
Asthma in Children
Asthma in Children Children account for 47.8% of asthma-related visits to the emergency department. Asthma symptoms include wheezing, coughing, and chest tightness. Treatment focu...learn more >>
Asthma in Pregnancy
Asthma in Pregnancy Experiencing an asthma attack during pregnancy may deprive the fetus of oxygen, so it's important to continue taking the asthma medication that you took before ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bronchitis:

Bronchitis - Diagnosis

How was your bronchitis diagnosed?

Bronchitis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your bronchitis?