Viewer Comments: Bronchitis - Length Symptoms Lasted

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bronchitis (Chronic):

Bronchitis - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your bronchitis last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Comment from: Leigh, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I made a short visit with a friend (who told me she had bronchitis and had just seen the doctor), and sure enough after 3 days it started. I had a burning sensation in my chest, a dry cough for 2 or 3 days, then started coughing more and more. I have no fever, been to the doctor, and chest sounds clear as a bell. Now, on my 11th day I am tired, still coughing, taking OTC medicine to control the cough (Mucinex night time) and everyone tells me to take massive doses of vitamin C. I am pleased to hear that the length of this is not unusual. I suspect I'll feel better in a week but this is rough! Thankfully, no fever, body aches or headache. But my chest feels like it's going to explode someday! Stay well, folks.

Comment from: whitemtnhiker, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I am now dealing with bronchitis combined with an acute asthma episode. It is hard to sort out what symptoms are causing what, and I am grateful that my doctor erred on the side of caution and prescribed Zithromax and Advair. Advair provided relief instantly. The combination of Zithromax, Advair and albuterol as needed has been essential to my recovery. I also drink lots of water, as many hot drinks as I can stand and find that rest is absolutely essential. It has only been 24 hours since I started this course of treatment and I am now seeing a positive trend for the better. I concur with all those who say "don't wait" for treatment. I also disagree with the doctors who withhold antibiotic treatment since I think bronchitis, particularly for those with asthma or other respiratory ailment, requires aggressive treatment as fast as possible.

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: September 11

When I had bronchitis, I couldn't stop coughing and was unable to sleep more than two hours at a time, even with sleeping aids. I put hand towels in my dryer at moderately high heat and then wrapped a towel against my chest (over my top) and zipped up in my down vest. I wrapped another dryer-warm towel loosely around my neck and covered my ears with the warm cloth. The warmth felt wonderful but what was more important was that the coughing stopped almost immediately. I think the warmth helped my lungs to expand. The towel in the vest will stay warm for a long time; repeat as desired.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I have had bronchitis three times in my life, twice in the last two years. The last two bouts began right before Thanksgiving and lasted until New Year's (about six weeks). This seems consistent with what I have read. ("Acute" bronchitis can last up to six weeks ...) I got better as the weeks progressed, but it took me about six weeks to get fully "well." Things that I found helpful were: Mucinex, drinking a "healthy" amount (about two liters for me) of water, and an albuterol inhaler. I have been prescribed codeine and Tessalon Perles, but these have not worked for me. The Mucinex (which is OTC) seemed to thin the mucus and decrease the coughing. Drinking water also helped. It seemed to make my cough more wet/productive (which may not seem desirable), but it also seemed to decrease the frequency and extent of my coughing fits, especially those dry ones that just won't end! My doctor prescribed the albuterol inhaler (often used for asthma) when I went to see him about the bronchitis. It seemed to help me breathe and decrease my coughing somewhat. One final note: My brother swears by Celestial Seasonings Echinacea wellness tea with a spoonful of honey. I didn't find out about this until my last bout was almost over, so I can't really comment. But he says this helps him when he has respiratory infections.

Comment from: Debster, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I was diagnosed with bronchitis on March 2. I have been sick since Christmas 2014 off on until today. This hit me really hard this time and I was out of state away from home. I ended up in the emergency room where they gave me a steroid that I took for 6 days. It didn't do anything, so I started back on my inhalers that the doctors had given me before I left home. I have been using QVAR, albuterol, Robitussin DM nighttime relief at night in the hopes I could sleep. I'm not sleeping well. The fatigue is awful, I have never felt this tired before. I'm very anxious and I know that isn't helping my cause. We had to cut our trip short as I was not able to leave my RV for approximately 12 days. This is really getting me down.

Comment from: carrie_anng, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

I am having my first bout with Bronchitis; the cough started a week ago, then things just kept getting worse. Went to the doctor two days later and found out it was the flu and Bronchitis. Was prescribed an antibiotic and cough med. I was called back two days later because I was steadily getting worse, and was prescribed a different antibiotic. The morning after that, I was so sick I could barely move, so I had my husband take me to urgent care so we could make sure that I didn't have pneumonia. I didn't, but the bronchitis had gotten pretty severe. They prescribed a much, much stronger antibiotic, plus they gave me a shot of the antibiotic in the office to give a jump start. Also was given stronger cough medicine, and a steroid. That was yesterday, and so far, I feel a little bit better, just worn out and disappointed that I am missing so many things right at Christmas. I am hoping that it clears up soon... I haven't really found much in over the counter medications that have done anything or given any relief, and today, I have a very sore throat. Here's to hoping the medications work!

Must Read Articles Related to Bronchitis

Asthma Asthma is a disease that affects the breathing passages of the learn more >>
Asthma in Children
Asthma in Children Children account for 47.8% of asthma-related visits to the emergency department. Asthma symptoms include wheezing, coughing, and chest tightness. Treatment focu...learn more >>
Asthma in Pregnancy
Asthma in Pregnancy Experiencing an asthma attack during pregnancy may deprive the fetus of oxygen, so it's important to continue taking the asthma medication that you took before ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bronchitis (Chronic):

Bronchitis - Diagnosis

How was your bronchitis diagnosed?

Chronic Bronchitis - Causes

If known, what caused your chronic bronchitis?

Chronic Bronchitis - Medical Treatment

What medical treatments have been effective in treating your case of chronic bronchitis?

Chronic Bronchitis - Home Remedies

What home remedies have been helpful in treating your symptoms of chronic bronchitis?

Bronchitis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your bronchitis?

Chronic Bronchitis - Experience

Please share your experience with chronic bronchitis.