Viewer Comments: Bulimia - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bulimia:

Bulimia - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with bulimia.

Comment from: Jamiej, 45-54 Female Published: September 11

I first started throwing up when I was 13; I quit during my pregnancies and began after the babies were born. I tried controlling my eating behaviors through many diets and exercise. None of these things helped me for any long periods of time because I would once again lose it. I got a divorce, met a man that told me he didn't need me to stay skinny for him and he didn't want me doing this to myself. I quit throwing up, but the pattern of over-eating is so impulsive I could quit over-eating. I keep trying different diets and occasional exercises only to fail time after time and binge eat again. It seems to be the only thing that makes my brain happy. I don't throw up anymore, but I still have the seemingly uncontrollable impulse to binge eat. I am now in my later 40's and I am mildly obese. I can see myself becoming worse over the years. I have been on many different anti-depressants over the years. They say that these can help, but they don't seem to have helped me stop the impulses that go on in my brain. I don't see anything stopping this roller coaster. Please listen to me girls and ladies alike. The mental problem this causes is just as bad as or worse than any of the physical problems. Please don't start it.

Comment from: Stellaluna, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I started to gain weight and then returned to my eating disorder behaviors. I attend a group meeting to discuss my eating disorder but I never really talk about the eating (binging and purging ) because for me; I realize that that's not all its about. It's about the underlying issues of what happened in my childhood to cause the behaviors as well as recognizing what triggers me and causes the behaviors to occur now in my adult life...

Comment from: ag, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I am bulimic. I starter right after my first baby was born. I liked my body the way it was before my baby and I wanted to keep it that way. I purged every day before I went to sleep, and thought I had it under control. I stopped after I got pregnant the second time, but then went back. I feel I am being selfish because my kids need me and I don't want to get keep this disease until it makes me sick. I don't want to tell anybody because I have always being the "perfect" one in my family and I am terrified that someone would know. I just feel like it is getting out of control and I don't think I can stop by myself. I would advise anyone who is starting purging to lose weight or thinking about it not to do it because it would end up consuming you. I have been hospitalized once and no one knows that I caused that with my eating disorder. I have feelings of guilt and shame every day knowing that everyone looks up to me as a role model without knowing that I am far from being a good example to anyone.

Comment from: ale90, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

Hi! I'm a 15 year-old who has been doing this for about a month. I have already lost 10 pounds. I know it's not good for me, and I plan on quitting VERY soon. I know everyone says this. I know that quitting is the “trick”. I have been bullied by a 6th grader about being overweight, even though I'm only 130 lbs. Most people only said these things to be me and stupid, and even though it gets to me, I'm strong and I'm worth more than that. It's hard to be 15, and I know that people are only mean to me because people are mean to them. The best revenge would be for me to completely happy while they're miserable.

Comment from: greek girl, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

I am 16 years old and at 13 I became anorexic with binging and purging. I was in the hospital for a long time. I had to move far away from my home to go live at the hospital. It wasn't fun. I am now an outpatient and still struggling with some issues with food. I will never like myself. Never accept how I look. I strongly advise if you know someone with an eating disorder, get them help as soon as possible before it becomes too late and you lose everything. I was in an abusive relationship. My closest family member had just died in a car accident. I needed to disappear. I purged on average 50 times a day, and exercised 4 hours a day. I almost died. And I'm telling my story to help others realized the severity of an eating disorder. It starts with 1 purge, but leads to many different issues. Don't wait to ask them. Don't wait to get help.

Comment from: twin mama, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

I have been eating and making myself sick for 12 years. I have good and bad days but my bad days are getting worse. On a bad day I am sick about 20 to 30 times. I think I need help.

Comment from: laura, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I am 15 and I am bulimic. I vomit after meals because I simply don't want to get fat. I should probably get some help for my condition before it gets out of hand. I really need to talk to my mom or someone at school.

Comment from: chaparra, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I have a problem when it comes to junk food. Or as I should say unhealthy foods. Whenever I eat a cookie, slice of pizza or anything that makes me think that it will make me gain weight, I would over eat that food and then when I get home I purge. I don't know why - whenever I see junk food, it makes me think that I can eat it because I'm going to purge it anyway. I just wish I didn't have this feeling at all.

Must Read Articles Related to Bulimia

Antidepressants
Understanding Antidepressant Medications There are many types of depression such as clinical depression, major depression, seasonal affective depression, dysthymia, and bipolar disorder. There are a va...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bulimia:

Bulimia - Treatments

What was the treatment for your bulimia?

Bulimia - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your bulimia?