Viewer Comments: Bulimia - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bulimia:

Bulimia - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with bulimia.

Comment from: Yur.Not.Alone.x, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I was bullied in school - called fat etc. It really got me down and I didn't feel in control, so I thought making myself sick and getting rid of food (weight) to put myself back in control. I didn't tell anyone about this during that time. Looking back, I really think I should have. When my mum found out she was worried!

Comment from: Peteybug, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I'm am 17 years old. . .junior in high school. I started throwing up four weeks ago, and I said I wouldn't do it again, but I haven't been able to stop since. I wasn't losing weight any other way so I decided to try. I get random sore throats and I have a tooth mark on my right knuckle. Three of my friends know I do it, so they check in on me every now and then. Yesterday was the first time I told my counseling group I throw up. I go to counseling or try to once a week because I have depression and self-esteem problems. I am very OCD… haha… Perfection baby!!! My mess has helped with the sadness but now being bulimic is my next mountain to climb :(

Comment from: MarthaRH, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 09

I'm a sufferer of bulimia and am fed up with it. I try to be strong and resist the temptation to binge but it always seems to get the better of me. I first started to purge when I was 13 and now I am 16. It was around 15 when I plucked up the courage to tell my mum. What made it worse was that I was in boarding school. My mum helped me so much. She is my rock. She spoke to a very lovely lady who was like a counselor who would come to my house and sit with me and talk - not just about purging, but about day to day life. This was nice, because you don't always want to talk about purging all the time. My mum thinks I'm fine now, but I still purge, 2-4 times a day. My teeth are slowly losing their enamel, my knuckles are red raw, my periods have become very un-predictable and I feel very dizzy/faint a lot of the time. A word of advice to all those suffers out there - if you keep yourself busy, such as joining a theatre, dance club or maybe a light job it will help to keep your mind off of purging and also help you understand that you do need some food to help keep up your energy. I know that's rich coming from a sufferer myself, but it helped me so maybe it will help you too. Now I only throw up once a day, which isn't great but a brilliant improvement. I belive that we can do it, but it will take a lot of support, strength and resistance. Stand firm.

Comment from: niclinsmi, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 22

I started being bulimic before my wedding when I had to drop weight fast. It was a mix between anorexia and bulimia. It worked but it has been about 9 months and I'm still bulimic. I really want to stop. I'm scared. I just can't seem to help it. I am over weight and I exercise a lot. I can't afford to get therapy or go to a doctor. I would go in an instant.

Comment from: booty, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 22

I am 32 and currently go to about 10 hours of therapy each week. I have an art therapist, a "shrink", a nutritionist and someone who does body work/ balancing (with a computer, hard to explain). This is my second time in therapy for my eating disorder. I began throwing up when I was 17, like many eating disorder patients I bounce back and forth between bulimia and anorexia staying with each one for about 2 years at a time. I'm hoping this will be my last treatment. If I don't beat it this time, I don't think life will be worth it anymore. I have a horrible quality of life. Everything hurts, I don't sleep; I don't hang out with many people and it's hard for me to travel even to see my family because my whole life is a lie. On the outside I look like the epitomy of healthy. I'm short and strong. I weigh 110 lbs, lots of muscle, shiny hair, all smiles, good skin, I run every day, I surf 4 times a week etc... meanwhile I have osteoporosis, underactive thyroid, my teeth are yellowish and full of cavities, I'm always constipated, and the Dr. is now running tests to see if I'm sterile. This eating disorder is ruining my life and yet I can't seem to let it go.

Comment from: lynne, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

I'm 16 and I've been bulimic for 3 years. It started out as not eating and exercising like crazy because I hated throwing up, but I found that making myself sick made me lose weight quicker and it made me feel amazing. I did it everyday at least 3 or 4 times daily. I felt amazing when I was losing 2 or 3 maybe even 4 pounds a day and then seeing the weight pour off me. I've been in therapy for it so I've slowed down but it's still a part of me and it always will be. Every now and then I go back to my bulimic ways but it's no where near as serious as it was before. If anyone is thinking about resorting to this please listen...it's not fun. It's like a demon that takes over your mind and you become obsessed. I would never wish this pain on anyone. Plus, after throwing up so long my teeth enamel has worn away and I have really bad acid reflux now and I have heart problems. I don't think anyone would want that. Just please trust me when I say it's not a good idea.

Must Read Articles Related to Bulimia

Antidepressants
Understanding Antidepressant Medications There are many types of depression such as clinical depression, major depression, seasonal affective depression, dysthymia, and bipolar disorder. There are a va...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bulimia:

Bulimia - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your bulimia?

Bulimia - Symptoms

What bulimia symptoms did you experience?