Viewer Comments: Bulimia - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bulimia:

Bulimia - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with bulimia.

Comment from: 13-18 Female Published: November 25

I'm 14 and I have suffered with bulimia since I was 12. It was a competition who looks the best and to get your figure looking like the models in the magazines, as soon as I ate anything I would run upstairs and make myself sick and exercise in my room for hours. When I turned 14, I thought I was over making myself sick and I didn't care what people thought of me. But recently, a boy has made me feel like I wasn't good enough for him and he would only go for other prettier skinnier girls. Because of this, I didn't eat for 3 days. Then I started to make myself sick again. I had to force myself to eat and wish I didn't feel the way I do. I wish I never started this, and I want to tell you guys if you are thinking about making yourself sick or wanting to stop eating just so you can look like others, DON'T! It's like an addiction and you're probably already beautiful anyway.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I have been struggling with bulimia and many other eating disorder behaviors for 15 years. I came very close to dying. I recieved intensive outpatient treatment. 6 weeks Monday through Friday for 5 hours. I'm now seeing a therapist, psychiatrist and a nutritionist, and I still can not get a handle on my behaviors. I'm urging anyone who might be struggling with an eating disorder to get help. The longer you go, the harder it is. If you worry about a loved one don't sit back. Help without judgment. Educate yourself about eating disorders and know that it's not about the food or weight. There are always other underlying issues.

Comment from: Kay, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

Bulimia is such a scary disorder, which not only messes with your normal body functions, but it certainly slows down your brain process and gets you in a very dark and lonely mental state. I have been struggling with it for the past 4 years now and I can't see or seek my way out. I am 21 now and feel like I'm slowly deteriorating and drowning and loosing in my constant battle with this much hated disease. My best friend has triggered the start of it, offering to buy a lot of food, not put any weight on and not feel guilty of eating it by simply throwing it all up. At the time the idea seemed utterly crazy, but I got on a hook and went with it. After purging the massive Chinese takeout out, I felt good, because my taste buds were satisfied and I could suck my tummy in and feel my ribs. I know it must sound nuts, but I did and still do love the feeling. That experience has led to once or twice a week purging, which now has ended up to every day after almost every meal. I loathe myself and the state that I got myself into. When I am with my friends I put up a happy front and if I knew me, I'd never guess I'm so disturbed inside. I have only shared with 2 other people, but just because I knew we shared the same problem, unfortunately they both don't live in the UK, so a lot of time I feel so left out and see the world in a very grey colour. I just wish and dream to beat this demon of mine. I wish I never have been influenced by a “friend” of mine. I have to find a way out, and damn well make sure I will. I have to start living, experiencing, enjoying and in fact starting my life again. I want to feel and breathe free and not be scared of, but enjoy eating. Now I need to find a cure. Easier said than done, but please girls, guys, don't sacrifice your life and existence by giving in to bulimia.

Comment from: Emma, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I am 16 years old. I have had bulimia for 6 years. It started when my parents were going through a divorce. I found it really hard to cope and talk to my parents about it. The only thing that made me feel better was to eat a lot. Once I I'd eaten I felt so guilty and sad that I would throw up. As I got older it wasn't about my parents but more about my body. 13 was a point in my life in which I felt very self conscious about my body. After that I became more aware through the media that everyone wanted to be skinnier. I thought that this was normal and for a quick way of losing pounds was to be sick on a number of occasions during the day. It felt and I suppose still feels great to know that I could eat whatever I wanted and not have to worry about calorie intake. My parents didn't find out until last year when they found me in the bathroom being sick. At this time I was a 15 year old girl who weighed 6 stone. I tried to hide my weight by wearing extra layers but it was on that day when my parents found me that I was admitted to hospital. I had tubes going into me and a heart rate monitor. I screamed and screamed. I hated the idea of having food injected into me. It scared me. After a couple of months I gained a stone and am gradually putting more weight on. If I hadn't been for my mum finding me that day, I don't know what would have happened to me. If anyone is thinking of doing anything like this, THINK again. Your teenage years are meant to be enjoyed. All I can say about mine so far is that I am slowly struggling with an eating disorder that doctors have told me I will always have. I will always have a problem with food.

Comment from: Lady500, 13-18 Female Published: September 17

I'm 17 and I've been making myself throw up on a daily basis for about a year. But I only do it once a day.

Comment from: 13-18 Female Published: September 11

I am 18 years old and have been bulimic for almost 9 years. I have always struggled with it but for the past year it has completely taken over my life. I am 5'6 and used to weigh about 130. I lost 18 pounds in three weeks. That was easy I just had to buckle down and throw up after every meal. Then I got to my lowest point of 107 by throwing up and using laxatives. I was extremely unhealthy and kept fainting and having chest pain. I am still extremely unhealthy no one knows I am bulimic my mom takes me to the doctor on a regular basis because she doesn't understand what is happening to me she would never think that I am bulimic even though eating disorders run in my family. My poor boyfriend of a year and a half is so worried about my health. He always jokes around that I'm bulimic I think he knows, but he doesn't know how serious it is. I don't know how to get help and I don't know if I want it because I like being skinny. I need help my body is slowly dying and I don't know what to do.

Must Read Articles Related to Bulimia

Antidepressants
Understanding Antidepressant Medications There are many types of depression such as clinical depression, major depression, seasonal affective depression, dysthymia, and bipolar disorder. There are a va...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bulimia:

Bulimia - Treatments

What was the treatment for your bulimia?

Bulimia - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your bulimia?