Cancer of the Esophagus (cont.)
Esophageal Cancer Pictures
The esophagus lies between the mouth and the stomach and serves as a conduit for food and liquids to the gastrointestinal tract.
Medically reviewed by Jay B. Zatzkin, MD; American Board of Internal Medicine with subspecialty in Medical Oncology
1. Adham M, Baulieux J, Mornex F, et al. Combined chemotherapy and radiotherapy followed by surgery in the treatment of patients with squamous cell carcinoma of the esophagus. Cancer. Sep 1 2000;89(5):946-54. [Medline].
2. Kelsen DP. Multimodality therapy of esophageal cancer: an update. Cancer J. Apr 2000;6 Suppl 2:S177-81. [Medline].
3. Lerut T, Coosemans W, De Leyn P, et al. Treatment of esophageal carcinoma. Chest. Dec 1999;116(6 Suppl):463S-465S. [Medline].
4. Reynolds JC, Waronker M, Pacquing MS, Yassin RR. Barrett's esophagus. Reducing the risk of progression to adenocarcinoma. Gastroenterol Clin North Am. Dec 1999;28(4):917-45. [Medline].
5. Stein HJ, Sendler A, Fink U, Siewert JR. Multidisciplinary approach to esophageal and gastric cancer. Surg Clin North Am. Apr 2000;80(2):659-82; discussions 683-6. [Medline].
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 7/28/2014
Robert J Fingerote, MD, MSc, BSc
Scott H Plantz, MD, FAAEM
Francisco Talavera, PharmD, PhD
Must Read Articles Related to Cancer of the Esophagus
Most symptoms and signs of cancer may also be explained by harmless conditions, so it's important to limit one's risk factors and undergo appropriate cancer scr...learn more >>
Cancer: What You Need to Know
The news comes like a sledgehammer into the stomach: "I'm sorry to tell you, but you have cancer." Every year, a million Americans are devastated by news of can...learn more >>
With the procedure known as gastrointestinal endoscopy, a doctor is able to see the inside lining of your digestive tract. This examination is performed using a...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Esophageal Cancer: