Viewer Comments: Esophageal Cancer - Symptoms and Signs

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Esophageal Cancer:

Esophageal Cancer - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs you experienced with esophageal cancer?

Comment from: missy 8883, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 14

I was diagnose with esophageal cancer in 2004. I only had symptoms for two and a half weeks when I went to the doctor. One day, I felt like I had food stuck in my esophagus. They did a scope and found a tumor. I had surgery and they removed my esophagus and did a stomach pull-up. The surgeon was amazed that I got into a doctor as soon as I did. I have been cancer free for more than five years. The cancer was caught soon enough and had perforated the esophageal wall, so I did not have to get any chemotherapy or radiation. My cancer was caught in stage 1. The survival rate of such a cancer is very low, I'm told. I have CT scans for more than five years before my cancer was diagnosed and everything was always fine. Listen to your body. It can save your life.

Comment from: Mick, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 11

I began having problems keeping food down especially meat and bread, eventually anything. Over a period of 3 months whilst I was working away my weight loss was in the region of 25kg,I knew something drastically wrong, upon my return home to South Africa I collapsed on the 1st day and was rushed to hospital dehydrated and admitted, the following day a scope was carried out, the resulting prognosis was not good. T3 N1 and I was informed the tumor was too large to operate on. The course of treatment was decided upon by a dedicated team of doctors, they gave me intensive chemo for 3weeks followed by chemo and radiation for another 3 weeks in the hope of shrinking the tumor to enable them to operate, it worked and I was scheduled for surgery 6 weeks later. My Esophagus was taken out with stomach substitution I believe it's known as pull through. I was given follow up chemo 3 months later for; 1 week/3months, I used to call it my take away. This all took place 5 years and 9 months ago, my oncologist has told me he no longer needs to see me, and that I am cancer free, for which I am eternally grateful. The whole experience has humbled me and I can only say never give up miracles do happen.

Must Read Articles Related to Cancer of the Esophagus

Cancer Symptoms
Cancer Symptoms Most symptoms and signs of cancer may also be explained by harmless conditions, so it's important to limit one's risk factors and undergo appropriate cancer scr...learn more >>
Cancer: What You Need to Know
Cancer: What You Need to Know The news comes like a sledgehammer into the stomach: "I'm sorry to tell you, but you have cancer." Every year, a million Americans are devastated by news of can...learn more >>
Endoscopy
Gastrointestinal Endoscopy With the procedure known as gastrointestinal endoscopy, a doctor is able to see the inside lining of your digestive tract. This examination is performed using a...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Esophageal Cancer:

Esophageal Cancer - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your esophageal cancer?

Esophageal Cancer - Diagnosis

How was your esophageal cancer diagnosed?