Viewer Comments: Esophageal Cancer - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Esophageal Cancer:

Esophageal Cancer - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your esophageal cancer?

Comment from: CLIFF, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 21

I was diagnosed by accident. I had a CT scan before surgery for prostate cancer. The scan showed 6cm adenocarcinoma near junction of esophagus and stomach which had metastasized to the surrounding nodes and to two lobes of my liver. I never had any symptoms. I'm at stage 4. Surgery is not an option. Biopsy of tissue showed Herceptin could be used as one of the chemo drugs. My medications cost $38,000 every three weeks. Thankfully, Medicare pays for all my medications. As of today, my tumors are 95% gone. Herceptin appears to have affected my heart. I'm going for another CT scan in three weeks.

Must Read Articles Related to Cancer of the Esophagus

18 Cancer Symptoms
Cancer Symptoms Most symptoms and signs of cancer may also be explained by harmless conditions, so it's important to limit one's risk factors and undergo appropriate cancer scr...learn more >>
Cancer: What You Need to Know
Cancer: What You Need to Know The news comes like a sledgehammer into the stomach: "I'm sorry to tell you, but you have cancer." Every year, a million Americans are devastated by news of can...learn more >>
Endoscopy
Gastrointestinal Endoscopy With the procedure known as gastrointestinal endoscopy, a doctor is able to see the inside lining of your digestive tract. This examination is performed using a...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Esophageal Cancer:

Esophageal Cancer - Diagnosis

How was your esophageal cancer diagnosed?

Esophageal Cancer - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs you experienced with esophageal cancer?