Viewer Comments: Mouth and Throat Cancer - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cancer of the Mouth and Throat:

Mouth and Throat Cancer - Symptoms

What are the symptoms of your mouth and throat cancer?

Comment from: GR, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I noticed a persistent soreness in my mouth after a short bout of flu. It felt like it was on the floor of my mouth between my side teeth and my gum on the left. My husband said it looked like an ulcer which I have never had before. It was "treated" unsuccessfully with three different types of antibiotics. My GP ordered swab tests for viruses, blood tests and finally referred me to the ENT specialist at the hospital. Now, today, nearly 5 months later, after an MRI last Thursday and multiple mouth biopsies on Friday I have been told I have cancer of the soft palate.

Comment from: maggie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 11

Fourteen years ago I had a sore in the roof of mouth, dentist passed it off as "burnt ." After three more months of pain and bleeding, and putting caps on front teeth, I insisted I did not burn my mouth, and I was sent for a biopsy. I was told it was cancer. I had extensive surgery, and two years later, another spot appeared and was treated. Now I have another large portion inside of cheek, and will have surgery next week. Make sure your dentist does not blow you off when a spot appears where is should not be.

Comment from: concerned, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 17

My son is 17 years of age and I took him to the dentist for a cleaning and the dentist found a white patch on his upper left gum. He told us that my son had the beginnings of mouth cancer and for him to stop smoking.

Comment from: Alicia, (Caregiver) Published: February 11

Excellent, comprehensive, and clinically relevant information. Extremely helpful to begin to understand complexicity of oral cancers. Thank you. A. Perez, MD

Must Read Articles Related to Cancer of the Mouth and Throat

Cancer Symptoms
Cancer Symptoms Most symptoms and signs of cancer may also be explained by harmless conditions, so it's important to limit one's risk factors and undergo appropriate cancer scr...learn more >>
Cancer: What You Need to Know
Cancer: What You Need to Know The news comes like a sledgehammer into the stomach: "I'm sorry to tell you, but you have cancer." Every year, a million Americans are devastated by news of can...learn more >>
Chemotherapy
Chemotherapy Chemotherapy or "chemo" is a treatment for cancer. Depending on the type of cancer an individual has, it can cure cancer, control cancer. or ease cancer symptom...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cancer of the Mouth and Throat:

Mouth and Throat Cancer - Diagnosis

How was your mouth and throat diagnosed?

Mouth and Throat Cancer - Treatment

What was the treatment for your mouth and throat cancer?