Viewer Comments: Mouth and Throat Cancer - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cancer of the Mouth and Throat:

Mouth and Throat Cancer - Symptoms

What are the symptoms of your mouth and throat cancer?

Comment from: aud123, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

Months ago I was noticing a white patch on my tongue. Being too busy I dismissed it as something my inhalers did from asthma. When my tongue started to feel irritated I went to an ENT Doctor (ear, nose and throat). I was pawned off to her assistant who treated me for thrush for a month. Finally, I insisted on seeing the actual doctor who upon first sight of my tongue suggested a biopsy from a good hospital. I called the hospital and couldn't get an appointment for a month. Finally, two days after a painful biopsy I was told I had squamous cell carcinoma (cancer) in my mouth. I'm looking at losing close to half my tongue to surgery because I had bad medical treatment. Let's face it. The earlier you catch cancer the better the outcome will be. Needless to say if you look in your mouth and your tongue looks questionable go to an oral surgeon and have a biopsy ASAP. Good Health to all.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 08

I went to the ENT because my wife and I could not sleep in the same room because my snoring kept her awake. The ENT looked at my throat and then at my neck. He noticed my lymph nodes swollen on both sides of my neck and said he needed to do a biopsy. It came back positive for cancer. He immediately set me up with the Radiologist and Chemo Doctors and I started treatment soon after. After 35 radiation treatments and 6 chemo treatments, I finished up and rested to recover. I tried to work but was unable physically and emotionally. I kept my weight up (after losing over 50 LBs) with my feeding tube and Boost+. Finally after 9-10 months on the feeding, I was able to eat food. It started off slowly but gradually I could eat again and just in time for the holidays. I have to eat a lot slower and chew my food really well. But it is good to be pretty much back to normal. There is hope for throat cancer victims. By the way, my Chemo doctor told me I am one of the only cancer victims he could think of who did not smoke or drink. Who knows what causes the cancer.

Comment from: BJH, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I have squamous cell carcinoma. It started with sore throat, massive headaches, difficulty breathing, five non-cancerous tumors in the thyroid and five in the throat starting at the tonsil area. Now I have difficulty speaking. The tumors are all the way over to the back of each ear, and lymph nodes at the base of the neck.

Comment from: Radel, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: July 12

My husband went to his ENT doctor for an ear infection. He asked him to check the side of his neck, he felt a knot there, the ENT told him it was TMJ and that it will go away in 2-4 weeks by itself. My husband was waiting for the TMJ to go away, until he could not stand the headaches any longer, he had me made an appointment with his primary doctor who told him he had never seen anything like this and he sent him to a ENT specialist. After a biopsy he was told he had tongue cancer. Numerous cat scans and MRI later, he found out the cancer had spread to the chest and bones. After the PET scan, he was told the cancer is not in his bones but in his lungs and that the cancer in the lungs is not lung cancer. It is cancer that spread from his tongue the lungs. Had his ENT Doctor told him on "you better get this checked out" and had he not told him this is TMJ, perhaps things would be a lot better today. I am sorry I did not push him to see a doctor much sooner.

Comment from: judbrath, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 18

In 2001 I bit my tongue which bled severely. I had to go to the dentist some months later I had noticed 2 white spots on my tongue and he referred me to the emergency dental hospital. The emergency hospital took a biopsy and I was diagnosed with tongue cancer and subsequently had the cancer removed using laser surgery. This year I noticed a problem again with my mouth but was unable to follow it up immediately. I went to my local GP and he treated me for thrush and also informed my local hospital. After a CT scan and an MRI scan, I now have to go into hospital for a really serious operation. I was diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma that will involve neck dissection, removing my lower front teeth and grafting skin from my wrist onto my tongue. Ii am a 63 year old male and running scared.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 11

i cant even LOOK at your site without putting my hand over the side roll of gross pictures. this is the 3rd time I have tried this site... but i cant handle it. Dial down the shock factor, will ya???

Comment from: Kay, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

Excellent material. Thanks! I was diagnosed today, with squamous cell cancer, inside my mouth. This material has helped me to prepare & be more excepting of things I will have to go through.

Must Read Articles Related to Cancer of the Mouth and Throat

Cancer Symptoms
Cancer Symptoms Most symptoms and signs of cancer may also be explained by harmless conditions, so it's important to limit one's risk factors and undergo appropriate cancer scr...learn more >>
Cancer: What You Need to Know
Cancer: What You Need to Know The news comes like a sledgehammer into the stomach: "I'm sorry to tell you, but you have cancer." Every year, a million Americans are devastated by news of can...learn more >>
Chemotherapy
Chemotherapy Chemotherapy or "chemo" is a treatment for cancer. Depending on the type of cancer an individual has, it can cure cancer, control cancer. or ease cancer symptom...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cancer of the Mouth and Throat:

Mouth and Throat Cancer - Diagnosis

How was your mouth and throat diagnosed?

Mouth and Throat Cancer - Treatment

What was the treatment for your mouth and throat cancer?