Canker Sores (cont.)
Canker Sore Prevention
- Avoid anything that could cause trauma - even minor trauma - to the mouth, such as hard toothbrushes and rough foods.
- Stress reduction: For many individuals, stress is a reason for more recurrent attacks, and stress-management techniques may decrease the frequency of attacks.
- Avoid toothpastes that contain sodium lauryl sulfate if you tend to get canker sores.
- Do not talk while chewing.
- Have any irregular dental surfaces repaired.
- Hormonal factors can sometimes trigger an outbreak in women during the premenstrual phase,
and oral contraceptives may be helpful.
- If the affected individual has a deficiency of iron, folic acid, or vitamin B12, make sure
to take the appropriate supplements; however, in most cases, this will not produce any improvement in the recurrence of the ulcers.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 8/4/2015
Must Read Articles Related to Canker Sores
Anemia can be caused by many conditions and diseases such as iron deficiency, poor diet and nutrition, cancers, bone marrow problems, and more. Symptoms of anem...learn more >>
Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension, fear, or worry. Some fears and worries are justified, such as worry about a loved one. Anxiety may occur without a cause, ...learn more >>
Celiac disease (sometimes referred to as as celiac disease), gluten-sensitive enteropathy, and gluten-induced enteropathy is a chronic disease of the digestive ...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Canker Sores: