Viewer Comments: Canker Sores - Medical Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Canker Sores:

Canker Sores - Medical Treatment

What medical treatments have you found to be effective for canker sores?

Comment from: SusanHelen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

Many, many years ago, I found what I thought was the best lip gloss ever, Lip Dew. It was very greasy and slid with ease over my chapped and puckered lips. Eventually, I began to get mouth ulcers and very sore gums and lips, so I used more and more of this gloss. Then after months of this, I came to realize that it was the gloss that was causing all these problems. A friend suggested gentian violet to treat the canker sores, and it was amazing. It immediately calmed the urge to keep touching them with my tongue, and soothed the pain. The only problem is, it covers your gums and teeth with what looks like purple ink, and it takes a few days before you look normal again. I didn't care how I looked, so long as I could calm this pain. I began, again, trying all kinds of lip glosses and chap sticks. None were greasy enough to suit my needs, and I found many to be too dry, or they smelled bad, or they started up my mouth sores again. A doctor finally suggested plain, old Vaseline. It worked really great for the past dozen years or so. No problems whatsoever until now. Because I've used it for so long with such great results, it's taken me a few weeks to figure out it's the Vaseline causing gums full of canker sores, bleeding gums and sore, puckered lips. When the Vaseline no longer cured my chapped lips and my gums below my lips were all puckered on the inside, full of sores, and bled when I brushed my teeth, I finally knew I was suddenly affected badly by its use. I am back to using gentian violet, and looking scary, but it helps so very much, I do whatever I have to, to relieve the pain. I now, again, am at a loss for what I can safely do for my chapped lips. Obviously, petroleum products (Vaseline) are out. My canker sores are healing, but my lips are red, sore, cracked, and dry.

Comment from: Becky, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

My friend told me that L-Lysine stopped her canker sores. She also said sodium laureth sulfate (SLS) in toothpaste made them worse. I changed my toothpaste and started taking Lysine and I haven't had any canker sores in months! I used to get canker sores every time I bit my lip (which happens pretty frequently for some reason) or got any other cut in my mouth. I've bitten my lip lots of times in that period and still can't believe that none of the cuts have turned into canker sores!

Must Read Articles Related to Canker Sores

Anemia
Anemia Anemia can be caused by many conditions and diseases such as iron deficiency, poor diet and nutrition, cancers, bone marrow problems, and more. Symptoms of anem...learn more >>
Anxiety
Anxiety Anxiety as a medical condition is characterized b...learn more >>
Celiac Disease
Celiac Sprue Celiac disease (sometimes referred to as as celiac disease), gluten-sensitive enteropathy, and gluten-induced enteropathy is a chronic disease of the digestive ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Canker Sores:

Canker Sores - Symptoms

What symptoms have you experienced with canker sores?

Canker Sores - Causes

What things (disease flares, medications, other diseases, conditions, etc.) triggers or cause canker sores for you?

Canker Sores - Home Remedies

What home remedies have you found helpful in treating canker sores?