Viewer Comments: Carbon Monoxide Poisoning - Experience

Patient Comments & Reviews

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Carbon Monoxide Poisoning:

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning - Experience

What was your experience with carbon monoxide poisoning?

Anonymously share your comment to help others.Patient Discussions FAQs

1
Comment from: charlene, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

My carbon monoxide poisoning came from a truck. (I'm a truck driver.) The truck had an exhaust leak, and the carbon monoxide came in the cab. I was in the truck for four days. I had to ride with the windows opened; that's what saved me. My company refused to fix the truck and demanded I do my job. When I got back home off the road, I had them send me to the doctor. My levels two days after getting home were still 10.7. My head felt as if my brain was trying to push out. I had a headache that was out of this world. That was a year ago, and I have not driven since. Now I have migraine headaches, which are no fun at all.

Comment from: prairiesun, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: January 12

Check your furnaces every year. We just found that the senior apartment my mother lives in has a furnace that was blowing carbon monoxide back into the room. It is a 30 year old furnace and of course, the housing owners won't replace anything until they get a grant to do it. It has probably been like this for at least 2 years or more and guess what? Mom developed a brain damage condition a couple years ago that is progressive and has been getting worse as time goes by, causing loss of speech and memory, confusion, weakness walking, all symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. We went to neurologists and specialists galore and no one had an explanation. Wonder if they ever tested for carbon monoxide poisoning? I was always puzzled that her condition seemed worse in the winter. Get your furnaces replaced with ones that blow the soot and carbon monoxide out instead of letting the soot build up and block the carbon monoxide from getting out the flue. Check every year. Hers was burning yellow which is not right. It is more common than anyone realizes!

Comment from: rangerover33, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I had started with bad headaches, which was very unusual for me as I never suffer with them. Then my eyes were so sore and all red and feeling sick I just thought I had a virus until I went shopping and nearly passed out in the shop which really frightened me. I went home feeling really poorly but didn't know why I slept all that afternoon and the next day just felt lifeless my friend came over at tea time and asked me to go to see a doctor. I really didn't want to go as I was feeling so ill but she talked me into going and as soon as I got into the doctors office my headache started clearing which then made me start thinking have I got a gas leak. So I called the gas people out and he said I had all the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning and he switched my boiler off tonight at 9 pm. I have not sought medical advice yet but I am concerned about my eyes as they are very sore.

Comment from: Damaged for Life, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 25

We moved last August in to a Condo! Since my husband changed jobs we thought it was best to be closer to save money! Around October it was getting a little chilly already, so I decided to run the furnace more frequently as it got colder! Sitting on the Balcony I would always smell gas and was not sure where it was coming from! I was home basically all day while my daughter went to school and my husband to work! After about 3 weeks my daughter and I felt really sick and with all the viruses going around we thought it was just a flu virus! I started getting really bad headaches for weeks and nothing would get rid of them then I started feeling nauseated and always tired couldn't eat and was always losing my balance! Lost around 10 lbs. Around mid January our thermostat broke so I called the maintenance guy whom called a service technician to fix the problem! The thermostat was changed but then the technician called the maintenance guy out on the balcony to show him something on the furnace. He came in told us to shut our furnace off with no explanation! In the meantime my daughter felt constantly dizzy and fainted twice on me in her room :-(! My headaches were getting to the point where I could not take the pain anymore and I started losing feelings in my arms and legs. We had electric heaters going but since no one told us we had a Carbon Monoxide leak the electric heaters weren't warm enough so I turned the heater back on since the technician was supposed to come back the next day and ended up coming 4 days after! Our symptoms got really bad to the point where I was of balance would lose complete control of it by having to hold on to walls or whatever else I could! My husband started showing signs of headaches too and my irritability got worse as the weeks went on! We are no longer living in the condo and I feel much better. Although we got Medical treatment from Doctors no one knew what was wrong with us? So now how have a Carbon Monoxide Detector in the house we moved too because if we would of stayed there a few more weeks we would of ended up 6 feet under!

Comment from: taj, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

why I was questioning his knowledge. CO2 causes disorientation as a symptom. I feel he is/was not thinking clearly. I had already told the service person we had all the appliances, yet, neither my husband nor the service person checked those two heaters. Now my husband is angry with me for doubting him. He tried to tell me that there was no CO2 leak. He stated that he knew the gas heaters needed cleaning and would do so. I argued that we were now discussing the lives of six people and there was the possibility that we still had CO2 leaking. CO2 has no odor. My husband waits until he actually smells gas to fix the items. Again, CO2 has no odor. I feel he has left us unprotected and intend to call the propane service again. He is still angry. Please remember that mood swings, along with all of the other flu-like symptoms, are part of the symptoms of CO2 poisoning. Ours was a long-term illness. By rights, it should have caused our death due to the period of time we have been exposed. Both my husband and I knew the dangers of CO2 having worked in this field. Of all people who should have installed CO2 detectors, it should have been us. We bought this house ten years ago and kept talking about getting detectors and continually forgot to. Please don't find yourselves in this same position. CO2 detectors are now combined with radon detectors (another silent killer). These detectors can and will save your lives should you have a CO2 leak. Don't wait to install them as we did.

1

Must Read Articles Related to Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Drug Overdose
Drug Overdose Overdoses of drugs or chemicals can be either accidental or intentional. Drug overdoses occur when a person takes more than the medically recommended dose. Howe...learn more >>
Smoke Inhalation
Smoke Inhalation The number one cause of death related to fires is smoke inhalation. An estimated 50-80% of fire deaths are the result of smoke inhalation injuries rather than b...learn more >>

Patient Comments & Reviews

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Carbon Monoxide Poisoning:

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning - Treatment

What was the treatment for your carbon monoxide poisoning?

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with carbon monoxide poisoning?



Viewer Comments are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on eMedicineHealth. The opinions expressed in the comments section are of the author and the author alone. eMedicineHealth does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

Alert If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.





Medical Dictionary