Cardiomopathy & Heart Disease
Ask your doctor about the heart truth
Know the risk factors for heart disease: high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, smoking, being overweight, or being physically inactive, age (55 or older for women), and family history. Talk to your doctor. Find out your risk. And take action to lower it.
Questions to Ask Your Doctor
- What is my risk for heart disease?
- What screening or diagnostic tests for heart disease do I need?
- What can you do to help me quit smoking?
- How much physical activity do I need to help protect my heart?
- What is a heart-healthy eating plan for me?
- What are my numbers and what do they mean?
- Blood pressure
- Cholesterol?total cholesterol, LDL ("bad") cholesterol, HDL ("good") cholesterol, and triglycerides
- Body mass index and waist circumference measurement
- Blood sugar level (could indicate risk for diabetes)
SOURCE: The National Heart Lung and Blood Institute "The Heart Truth for Women."