Caring for More Than One Baby
Caring for just one newborn is a big job. Raising more than one baby means even less sleep, more work, and less time for yourself. On some days, you may feel frustrated that you can't keep up with work at home. Do not wait for stress to become a problem before you ask for help. Your family, friends, and doctor can help you find ways to cope.
Ways to cope
- Be a good planner. Buying supplies, getting your babies in and out of cars and strollers, and keeping track of what your babies have eaten or done can become overwhelming with more than one baby. Diapers, naps, nursing, and everything else that is part of your babies' lives can take over your life and keep you from taking care of yourself, if you let it. Charts and systems to stay organized and efficient will help you to cope.
- Get as much rest as you can. Do not feel guilty if you let chores go undone so that you can rest. Try to sleep when your babies are sleeping, rather than using that time to get chores done.
- If you are going to breast-feed, be flexible. You may be able to breast-feed all your babies, or you may use your breast pump or formula so that your helpers can feed your babies too. A lactation consultant can help you find positions and systems to make nursing work.
- Give each of your children time alone with you. If you have an older child or children, schedule regular time with each one.
- Try to put aside time to be with your partner. It is easy to forget about taking time to be a couple, but life will be better if you take care of each other.
- It is okay to feel negative about your life once in a while. But if you feel sad or mad often, talk to your doctor.
- Ask family and friends for help. Then let them help with the babies, the house, and your family's errands.
- Bathing your babies can be a big job and can wear you out. Whether you bathe your babies together or one at a time, ask for help.
- Consider joining a support group for parents of twins or more. Sharing your experience with other people who are in a similar situation may help you with the demands of caring for your babies.