Viewer Comments: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Carpal Tunnel Syndrome:

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with carpal tunnel syndrome.

Comment from: earlbowden, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 27

My tarsal tunnel syndrome started about eight years ago. My feet started to feel as if they were burning. I thought it might just be my shoes, or socks, or just tired feet. But the burning didn't go away, it got worse over time. It was almost unbearable some days. Then I started getting the tingling and numbness. I finally went to the doctor, and he did some diabetes tests and then prescribed some medicine. It took a couple of tries, but we finally settled on Amitriptyline and Lyrica. They worked, somewhat. The side affects included drowsiness - I had zero energy almost all day long, and I would fall asleep soon after getting home from work, causing me to not be able to get to sleep later in the night when I usually went to bed. We adjusted the strengths and times for the medicine, which did help with the drowsiness, but then the strength of the medicine wasn't enough to give me any real relief from the pain. By now, I'm getting shooting pains all over my feet, too. I'm about going out of my head with the pains, the numbness, and the tingling. I think I may have found doctors who can help with surgery, but I found out they don't work with my insurance carrier. I'm that close, and now I can't pay for relief. Hopefully I can work something out with these doctors or with my insurance carrier. Maybe there's other doctor's in the Denver area that do the surgery, and can work with my insurance company.

Comment from: Paul F., 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 27

I started my new job six months ago as a script writer, so I spend a lot of time at my new desk. I started getting numbness in my left hand and fingers and then pins and needles. It's almost a constant thing now; it's really painful to sleep, as most positions hurt. I have recently been diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome. I had the nerve conduction tests (I nearly passed out) that diagnosed the problem. The doctor is suggesting surgery. I just want my hand back to normal.

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: February 04

I was having pain, numbness, tingling in my hands for 2 years. The pain got worse was awakening from the pain. A year ago I was tested and they said I had carpal tunnel. They told me I needed surgery. I didn't have time to take off from work and I didn't want to go under the knife so I waited another year. Well I just had the surgery 4 weeks ago. The first week I felt better still had numbness but not that sharp pain. Two weeks after the surgery I started getting pain around the thumb and the middle of my hand. Now the pain is worse now than before the surgery. The pain shoots all the way up my arm. Just think before you decide to do the surgery. You might be worse off like me.

Comment from: lilac, Female (Patient) Published: January 28

My carpal tunnel syndrome started about a year ago. I went to my doctor who diagnosed me with severe carpal tunnel syndrome. My doctor is suggesting surgery, but I don't want to go under the knife. I went to my masseuse and had her massage my hands for almost one month. Finally, my carpal tunnel syndrome has gone and don't need to undergo operation.

Comment from: Jaxiz2short, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

As I was diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome, I have weakness in the hands or fingers, and I am unable to carry objects. Sometimes drop items, and I have a sharp knife-type jabbing in my hands or forearm just for a few seconds. I also have a dull pain in the underside middle of wrist. I'm experiencing numbing and tingling in the thumb index finger and 2nd finger sometimes the ring finger, and aching also in the back of the hand or at the fingers.

Comment from: tater, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I've been struggling with CTS for over 10 years and it's gotten to the point where keyboarding is almost prohibitive. This is a real problem since I'm a copy writer! This is affecting my ability to support myself. I'm reluctant to get surgery because it fails in over 50% of the time (symptoms return in 1 to 6 years) and I'll be out of commission while healing.

Comment from: 35-44 Female Published: February 04

I have carpal tunnel syndrome which comes with tingling and numbness at night. Also, my hands are numb upon waking and I usually rub them or shake them out.

Must Read Articles Related to Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Hand Injuries
Hand Injuries Hand injuries can be divided into six categories. 1) cuts and lacerations, 2) fractures and dislocations, 3) soft tissue injuries and amputations, 4) infections...learn more >>
Repetitive Motion Injuries
Repetitive Motion Injuries Repetitive motion injuries are among the most common injuries in the United States. All of these disorders are made worse by the repetitive actions of daily liv...learn more >>
Wrist Injury (Wrist Fracture)
Wrist Injury The wrist injury can be a sprain, strain, or fractured or broken bone(s). Treatment of a wrist injury depends upon the type of wrist injury.learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Carpal Tunnel Syndrome:

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - Symptoms

What were your carpal tunnel syndrome symptoms?