Dr. Balentine received his undergraduate degree from McDaniel College in Westminster, Maryland. He attended medical school at the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine graduating in1983. He completed his internship at St. Joseph's Hospital in Philadelphia and his Emergency Medicine residency at Lincoln Medical and Mental Health Center in the Bronx, where he served as chief resident.
2. Latta L, Sarmiento A, Zych G. Principles of nonoperative fracture treatment. In: Browner BD, Jupiter JB, Levine AM, Trafton PG, eds. Skeletal Trauma. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa:WB Saunders Co;1998:237-266.
3. Rosen P, Barkin RM, eds. Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 4th ed. St. Louis, Mo:Mosby-Year Book;1998:620-622.
4. Salter RB. Fractures and joint injuries. In: Textbook of Disorders and Injuries of the Musculoskeletal System. 2nd ed. Baltimore, Md:Lippincott Williams & Wilkins;1983:349-426.
5. Simon R, Koenigsknecht S. Fracture principles. In: Emergency Orthopedics: The Extremities. 3rd ed. Norwalk, Conn:Appleton & Lange;1996:3-20, 517-36.
6. Simon RR, Koenigsknecht SJ. Treatment of fractures. In: Emergency Orthopedics: The Extremities. 2nd ed. Norwalk, Conn:Appleton & Lange;1987:7-15.
7. Tintinalli JE, Menkes JS. Immobilization techniques. In: Tintinalli JE, Kelen GD, eds. Emergency Medicine: A Comprehensive Study Guide. 5th ed. New York, NY:McGraw-Hill;2000:1747-1753.
Previous contributing authors and editors:
Author: Jennifer L Brown, MD, FACEP, Assistant Program Director, Emergency Medicine Residency Program, State University of New York at Buffalo.
Richard S Krause, MD, Program Director, Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Emergency Medicine, State University of New York at Buffalo.
Editors:Scott H Plantz, MD, FAAEM, Research Director, Assistant Professor, Department of Emergency Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine; Francisco Talavera, PharmD, PhD, Senior Pharmacy Editor, eMedicine; Jerry Balentine, DO, Professor of Emergency Medicine, New York College of Osteopathic Medicine; Medical Director, Saint Barnabas Hospital.