- Early symptoms of cataracts include blurred vision,
glare, and difficulty reading.
- Cataracts will affect most people and become more
prominent as we age.
- Cataracts can be diagnosed when the doctor examines
the eyes with specialized viewing instruments.
- The decision to proceed with surgery is primarily
based on the amount of difficulty you have performing your daily
- Treatment for cataracts is surgical removal of the
cataract with implantation of an artificial lens.
- There are a variety of intraocular lens types that can
restore vision in different ways.
- Cataract surgery is a safe and effective way to restore vision with serious complications occurring in less than
one in 1,000 cases.
Must Read Articles Related to Cataracts
Anatomy of the Eye
Even though the eye is small, only about 1 inch in diameter, it serves a very important function -- the sense of sight. Vision is by far the most used of the fi...learn more >>
Cigarette smoking remains the leading cause of death and illness among Americans. Effects of smoking can cause cancers, emphysema, bronchitis, COPD, chronic cou...learn more >>
Contact lenses are miraculous pieces of plastic that allow you to see without glasses. In most cases, contact lenses are used as a substitute for glasses, allow...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cataracts: