Viewer Comments: Cauda Equina Syndrome - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cauda Equina Syndrome:

Cauda Equina Syndrome - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your Cauda Equina syndrome?

Comment from: Chris, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 29

With cauda equina syndrome I had loss of bladder control, severe back pain and my left leg went numb.

Comment from: Gwynjo17, Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I had surgery for colon cancer on 24/5/14. I couldn't pass urine for 6 weeks as catheter was in for that period. When finally able to release a small amount of urine, then had to self-catheterize twice a day. I'm told this cauda equina syndrome is due to spinal anesthetic given during surgery. Urology tell me the normal function could return in time. I only catheterize once a day now, so hopefully things are slowly returning to the real me. At least I don't leak so I'm very thankful for that. Good luck to anyone that may have this experience, just be aware of spinal anesthetic during surgery. Opt out of it if possible!

Comment from: ANCHAL, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 26

I am working on a ship. This problem occurred on board with 18 days to reach the next port. I was had severe pain, as there is not much medication on board. On my left leg, I had shooting pain at various places. I was unable to move or stand or sit and even. On the 17th day, I reached a port as well in hospital for treatment.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I am almost 54 years of age. A gunshot to the back caused my CES. It happened at age 28. I did not have surgery. The doctors said the damage is already done. Now I have bowel and bladder problems. I also have loss of feeling in my genital area. My lower left leg is smaller than my right leg and I have loss of feeling in my but area. However life goes on, so I make do with what I have been dealt.

Must Read Articles Related to Cauda Equina Syndrome

Lumbar Laminectomy
Lumbar Laminectomy A lumbar laminectomy is removal or most of the bony arch of a vertebra. Risks include nerve damage, bleeding, infection, and blood clots.learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cauda Equina Syndrome:

Cauda Equina Syndrome - Treatments

What was the treatment for your cauda equina?

Cauda Equina Syndrome - Experience

Please describe your experience with cauda equina syndrome.