Viewer Comments: Cauda Equina Syndrome - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cauda Equina Syndrome:

Cauda Equina Syndrome - Experience

Please describe your experience with cauda equina syndrome.

Comment from: mhm, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

Excellent article gave me much needed information. I have all the symptoms and my doctor was very thorough and quickly followed through with an MRI and referral to a neuro-surgeon (six months wait). I was told part of a ruptured disk is lodged in my spinal canal and I have 2nd disk which is herniated/bulging and touching the spinal canal. I was told I could be patient and wait 6 - 8 months and my body would/could absorb the disk in the spinal canal and the 2nd disc should correct itself. If this doesn't happen then the next option would be injecting the discs with cortisone and if my pain still persisted then surgery to removal of the disk particle in my spinal canal. As no mention was made in this article - I am going for a second opinion. I can function with pain meds which I have been assured by my doctor and pharmacist are not addictive.

Related Reading: cortisone

Comment from: worriedmom, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 26

My 13 yr old son has been diagnosed with cauda equina syndrome after suffering a herniated disc at L4-L5 from a recent weight lifting injury at school. It's rare and it is horrible. He saw a chiropractor first, had adjustments and muscle stimulation along with major icing for ten days or so. He walked like a penguin. No muscle strength in feet. He got an MRI done and things moved quickly after that. He had surgery today and we're praying he will heal and walk normal again.

Comment from: Femaks, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 15

In 2005 I was diagnosed with cauda equina syndrome CES, six weeks later iI had a surgery done. I noticed before the diagnosis I lost my muscle tone on both legs, with associated numbness in the groin, penis, both legs and around my anus. I lost my erectile function, also there were difficulties to pass urine and I was constipated. But what I noticed is that six years after surgery I have not completely recovered from this symptoms; worst of it, is whenever I have sex with my wife I do not ejaculate, i don't reach orgasm. This bothers me a lot. I had MRI done recently, they're not very sure if it is fibrous tissues or herniation between L5 & S1. There is still pain on the left leg, tightness around my perineal region, with severe burning sensation. It is great discomfort for me.

Must Read Articles Related to Cauda Equina Syndrome

Lumbar Laminectomy
Lumbar Laminectomy A lumbar laminectomy is removal or most of the bony arch of a vertebra. Risks include nerve damage, bleeding, infection, and blood clots.learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cauda Equina Syndrome:

Cauda Equina Syndrome - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your Cauda Equina syndrome?

Cauda Equina Syndrome - Treatments

What was the treatment for your cauda equina?