Viewer Comments: Cauda Equina Syndrome - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cauda Equina Syndrome:

Cauda Equina Syndrome - Treatments

What was the treatment for your cauda equina?

Comment from: janice, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I have suffered with back pain for about 10 years. Over the last two years it had got increasingly worse and my bladder and bowls started giving me problems. I wasn't incontinent and I had trouble going to the toilet. My bottom went numb so I had to have emergency surgery for cauda equine syndrome two weeks ago. It was a success in that it helped the pain in my left leg, saved my bladder and bowl function. I have still been left with terrible pain in my back and left and right hip also tightness in my left leg. In all I was still glad I got the op done as I don't think I could live with being incontinent.

Comment from: Jim, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: June 23

After another week there was a progressive lack of time between warning and "going". Finally there was no warning at all and I started wearing "diapers" full time. At present I am either having a short time to get to the bathroom and choose which way to start, or just discovering I had just relieved myself. Today I was told the MRI showed an enlargement suggestive of caudia equina. Up to now my urologist had no really effective treatment and was taking a wait and see approach. This is NOT acceptable. His nurse is in process of offering various ideas. If requested, I will list further updates. Today is June 21, 2011. I was born in November, 1927 and was a veterinarian before retirement.

Comment from: Patti B, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I have been diagnosed with Cauda Equina since Oct. I had open heart surgery and a triple bypass then and I was not able to get the back surgery. Now I have to get cardiology physical therapy to ensure that I will be able to survive any surgery. I am 61 years old and so disappointed. I have no bladder control and my right foot is numb.

Must Read Articles Related to Cauda Equina Syndrome

Lumbar Laminectomy
Lumbar Laminectomy A lumbar laminectomy is removal or most of the bony arch of a vertebra. Risks include nerve damage, bleeding, infection, and blood clots.learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cauda Equina Syndrome:

Cauda Equina Syndrome - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your Cauda Equina syndrome?

Cauda Equina Syndrome - Experience

Please describe your experience with cauda equina syndrome.