Causes and Treatments of Migraine Headaches (cont.)
American Academy of Neurology
American Council for Headache Education
American Headache Society
International Headache Society
JAMA & Archives Journals
Mayday Pain Project
Migraine-Headache Resource Center
National Headache Foundation
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and StrokeNeurology Channel
Medically reviewed by Jon Glass, MD; American board of Psychiatry and Neurology
1. Diener HC, Limmroth V. Acute management of migraine: triptans and beyond. Curr Opin Neurol. Jun 1999;12(3):261-7. [Medline].
2. Fusco BM, Colantoni O, Giacovazzo M. Alteration of central excitation circuits in chronic headache and analgesic misuse. Headache. Sep 1997;37(8):486-91. [Medline].
3. Gunasekara NS, Noble S, Benfield P. Paroxetine. An update of its pharmacology and therapeutic use in depression and a review of its use in other disorders. Drugs. Jan 1998;55(1):85-120. [Medline].
4. Headache Classification Committee of the International Headache Society. Classification and diagnostic criteria for headache disorders, cranial neuralgias and facial pain. Cephalalgia. 1988;8 Suppl 7: 1-96. [Medline].
5. Kors EE, Haan J, Ferrari MD. Genetics of primary headaches. Curr Opin Neurol. Jun 1999;12(3):249-54. [Medline].
6. Mathew NT. Advances in cluster headache. Neurol Clin. Nov 1990;8(4):867-90. [Medline].
7. Mathew NT. Transformed migraine, analgesic rebound, and other chronic daily headaches. Neurol Clin. Feb 1997;15(1):167-186. [Medline].
8. Peroutka SJ. Dopamine and migraine. Neurology. Sep 1997;49(3):650-6. [Medline].
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 7/22/2014
Joseph Carcione Jr, DO, MBA
Francisco Talavera, PharmD, PhD
Must Read Articles Related to Causes and Treatments of Migraine Headaches
Botulinum toxin (BOTOX®) is a material that has been known for over a century and used for medical purposes for more than 50 years. Botox injections can imp...learn more >>
CAM for Migraine and Cluster Headaches
Migraine headaches are intense, recurring headaches that are sometimes accompanied by nausea, vomiting and other symptoms. Alternative therapies that have prove...learn more >>
Chronic pain is pain that persists for a period of six months or longer, and is the result of a long-standing medical condition(s) or damage to the body. Common...learn more >>