Viewer Comments: Cellulitis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cellulitis:

Cellulitis - Symptoms

The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?

My daughter, who's almost 6 years old, is having symptoms of cellulitis for the second time in a space of two months in the same area (left foot). I took her to the pediatrician, and he gave her an antibiotic to take for five days. I have taken her again for the same thing yesterday, and they are doing the blood tests.

Comment from: amy, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 14

One day my son, 16 years old, had a swollen lump on his arm the size of a dime. I guessed it to be a spider bite. The next day it was more swollen and red around the lump to the size of a baseball. It was oozing and itchy with a red line going up his arm. He is being treated with antibiotics. He never felt sick, had any pain or had a fever.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I was bitten by what I think was a spider on my collarbone. It was a little painful, but not too bad. The next morning, the area around it started getting very red, swollen and warm. It spread throughout the day and next night down onto my chest (to about 4" around), getting warmer. I also wasn't feeling right. Went to the doctor the next day and got the cellulitis diagnosis and was prescribed Keflex, which started working right away, and the redness and swelling were mostly gone within 24 hours. I didn't see any mention of this possibility in the literature about spider bites, so I assume it's rare, but they are mentioned as a possible cause under cellulitis.

Comment from: Frustrated, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

I am a recent breast cancer survivor, and noticed pain and swelling on my elbow; was also running a low grade fever. My nose was also very congested, so I thought I had a cold. My fever was gone within a couple hours, but the arm was still the same. I then thought it was the dreaded lymphoedema, one of my worst fears. About a day later, though, it spread from my elbow to my breast and side area, and was very red, swollen, and tender. Also I had a higher fever by day 3. Was diagnosed with cellulitis, and put on 2 antibiotics (Rifampin and Bactrim). Today is day 13 of the 14 day treatment, and it is still not cleared up; it has subsided somewhat, and almost gone from my arm, but still everywhere else, and sometimes very itchy. Also, still running a fever now and then, especially at night. Headed back to the doctor.

Must Read Articles Related to Cellulitis

Acne
Acne Acne is a red skin rash caused by several factors, including hormones and bacteria. Treatment involves washing skin with a mild cleanser once or twice daily, ap...learn more >>
Athlete's Foot
Athlete's Foot Athlete's foot is a superficial skin infection of the foot caused by a moldlike fungus.learn more >>
Chickenpox
Chickenpox Chickenpox, also known as varicella, is a highly contagious infection that affects children. Most infections occur between the ages of 5-10 years and usually st...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cellulitis:

Cellulitis - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your cellulitis?