Viewer Comments: Cellulitis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cellulitis:

Cellulitis - Symptoms

The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 27

Our 26 year old daughter's facial and orbital cellulitis started at 6 a.m. with swelling in the left eye and by 6 p.m. had spread into her other eye and forehead. The urgent care clinic physician gave her a shot and oral antibiotics. We took her to the ER and they admitted her. The condition worsened very quickly to the point that the upper 1/2 of her face, including her eyes was completely swollen - her eyes wouldn't open. She was hospitalized for 5 days on 2 IV antibiotics and then 6 days of home IV antibiotics, and another 5 days of oral meds 3x a day. Her infection was extremely bad. She has been out of the hospital a week and still has some pain over her left eye though no vision loss, and still very weak and fatigued. The physician says her infection was extremely bad and that she'll have some pain for awhile and it will take a couple of weeks to recover.

Comment from: Susan, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

The first couple of days, my skin hurt when touched. I had no visual bumps until the third day; then a pimple-like bump appeared. Then new bumps and pain appeared within the area, with raised “bubbles,” which were clear and red and irritated and sensitive.

Comment from: Nola, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: May 24

My husband fell while on vacation in the BVI and damaged his knee. The injury happened on a very dirty beach where ocean trash was washed ashore. He did wash the wound and put bandages on it. One week later, while home, the knee became extremely red and swollen and painful. His family physician diagnosed cellulitis and gave him a shot in the rear plus pills (antibiotics). Two days later, the injection was repeated. After 4 days, the redness and swelling is still there but the area has not increased and he has no fever. The pain has decreased. He will return to the physician in two days to have it checked. He is 75 years old and otherwise in perfect health.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I have cellulitis and I was hospitalized for three day with IV antibiotics. I got cellulitis on my stomach. The doctors can't understand why I would get it there. All I know is that it's not a good thing and it makes me really sick.

Comment from: 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 26

I was very tired after a long car trip. I had a moderate temperature. I visited a doctor who said that I was very sick with an infection, but that she wasn't sure what it was. That evening, my temperature was high, so I took two aspirin and went to the emergency room. They kept me and started antibiotics for pneumonia. On the second day of my stay, my arm was swollen and red. They immediately recognized cellulitis and added another antibiotic. In two days, I was released with a prescription for oral antibiotics. I had to make one more doctor's visit, where I was given another round of medications, but that took care of it.

Comment from: bette, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 21

When I first got cellulitis, my initial symptoms were redness and swelling in my left ankle and the outer side of my leg. It has now spread up my leg and my foot is so swollen that I can't walk on it. Now, it's starting on the other leg in the same place.

Comment from: it hurts, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

My symptoms of cellulitis were extreme swelling over my eye and cheek. I also had boil-like and cyst-like pimples.

Comment from: Cellulitis, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I was breaking off dead limbs off of a natural wood bin evergreen I have in my yard during the cold February month when I accidentally got one of the hard limbs stuck in my right hand. Pulled it out & I started bleeding some, washed it and put a large bandage on it. I did not think anything of it until later that night - it was throbbing so I took the bandage off. Swelling, redness & a tightening of the skin was forming. I waited two days before I went to the doctor & he said it was definitely infected & had started in the lymph nodes, cellulitis. Now, after a tetanus, and two strong antibiotics shots and an antibiotic 4 times per day (for 10 days), the swelling has went down some. I will never wait to see a healthcare provider anymore if this happens again. This stuff is painful!

Comment from: JGirl, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I've been diagnosed with cellulitis two times; once last year in July on my left leg side of knee. This was very painful made me limp and got to the point of where I couldn't stand to bend my leg. I finally decided to go to the hospital when the redness spread down to the middle of my shin. It started as a pimple and then progressed into a huge lump with redness, and very hot to the touch. And when I would press on it nothing would come out but watery fluid. However it would leave an indent in my skin. You could clearly tell that there was pus underneath that wouldn't come out. They squeezed it and bandaged it at the hospital.

Must Read Articles Related to Cellulitis

Acne
Acne Acne is a red skin rash caused by several factors, including hormones and bacteria. Treatment involves washing skin with a mild cleanser once or twice daily, ap...learn more >>
Athlete's Foot
Athlete's Foot Athlete's foot is a superficial skin infection of the foot caused by a moldlike fungus, though the term is often used for any inflammation of the foot skin. Sym...learn more >>
Chickenpox
Chickenpox Chickenpox (varicella) is a highly learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cellulitis:

Cellulitis - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your cellulitis?