Viewer Comments: Cellulitis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cellulitis:

Cellulitis - Symptoms

The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?

Comment from: bouter, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

Discoloration and inflammation.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I was diagnosed with cellulitis last month. I spent 2 days in hospital with IV antibiotic treatment and just finished 3 weeks of oral antibiotics at home. The fever is gone and most of the redness is gone, but I've still got bad swelling in the leg between the knee and ankle. Also have pains shooting through the leg several times a day. If swelling doesn't leave soon will have to go back to doctor and see what is wrong now.

Comment from: Kat, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

Initially I thought I thought I was coming down with the flu. I have a fever of 102 and horrible chills, sweating and nausea day one. Day two I was so lethargic I could barely get up to get a sip of water. Day three I had horrible lower leg pain, and it was hot, red, and swollen below the knee. I could not have anything touch it and could barely put weight on it. I went to urgent care that morning and was diagnosed with Cellulitis. Scary… as I am also diabetic type II.

Comment from: Howard, 65-74 (Patient) Published: September 13

My initial symptoms of cellulitis were redness in the middle of my finger and between the knuckles of my hand. Also, I had a blister that was filled with pus.

Comment from: glow, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

This site is really helpful. I have just got back from seeing my doctor, as I had noticed that I had a red raised line across my left leg on the shin with a dark red spot nearby it was painful but seemed to ease off a bit. The doctor has given me a prescription for antibiotics for cellulitis.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 27

Our 26 year old daughter's facial and orbital cellulitis started at 6 a.m. with swelling in the left eye and by 6 p.m. had spread into her other eye and forehead. The urgent care clinic physician gave her a shot and oral antibiotics. We took her to the ER and they admitted her. The condition worsened very quickly to the point that the upper 1/2 of her face, including her eyes was completely swollen - her eyes wouldn't open. She was hospitalized for 5 days on 2 IV antibiotics and then 6 days of home IV antibiotics, and another 5 days of oral meds 3x a day. Her infection was extremely bad. She has been out of the hospital a week and still has some pain over her left eye though no vision loss, and still very weak and fatigued. The physician says her infection was extremely bad and that she'll have some pain for awhile and it will take a couple of weeks to recover.

Comment from: Susan, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

The first couple of days, my skin hurt when touched. I had no visual bumps until the third day; then a pimple-like bump appeared. Then new bumps and pain appeared within the area, with raised “bubbles,” which were clear and red and irritated and sensitive.

Comment from: Nola, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: May 24

My husband fell while on vacation in the BVI and damaged his knee. The injury happened on a very dirty beach where ocean trash was washed ashore. He did wash the wound and put bandages on it. One week later, while home, the knee became extremely red and swollen and painful. His family physician diagnosed cellulitis and gave him a shot in the rear plus pills (antibiotics). Two days later, the injection was repeated. After 4 days, the redness and swelling is still there but the area has not increased and he has no fever. The pain has decreased. He will return to the physician in two days to have it checked. He is 75 years old and otherwise in perfect health.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I have cellulitis and I was hospitalized for three day with IV antibiotics. I got cellulitis on my stomach. The doctors can't understand why I would get it there. All I know is that it's not a good thing and it makes me really sick.

Comment from: 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 26

I was very tired after a long car trip. I had a moderate temperature. I visited a doctor who said that I was very sick with an infection, but that she wasn't sure what it was. That evening, my temperature was high, so I took two aspirin and went to the emergency room. They kept me and started antibiotics for pneumonia. On the second day of my stay, my arm was swollen and red. They immediately recognized cellulitis and added another antibiotic. In two days, I was released with a prescription for oral antibiotics. I had to make one more doctor's visit, where I was given another round of medications, but that took care of it.

Must Read Articles Related to Cellulitis

Acne
Acne Acne is a red skin rash caused by several factors, including hormones and bacteria. Treatment involves washing skin with a mild cleanser once or twice daily, ap...learn more >>
Athlete's Foot
Athlete's Foot Athlete's foot is a superficial skin infection of the foot caused by a moldlike fungus, though the term is often used for any inflammation of the foot skin. Sym...learn more >>
Chickenpox
Chickenpox Chickenpox (varicella) is a highly learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cellulitis:

Cellulitis - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your cellulitis?