Viewer Comments: Cellulitis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cellulitis:

Cellulitis - Symptoms

The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?

Comment from: forcefive, Female (Patient) Published: November 24

I woke up one morning, and the bridge of my nose was very sore. The next day, my nose hurt even worse. I saw a patch of bright, red skin across my nose that was sore, hot to touch and swollen. My nasal passages were constricted. I went to the doctor two days after my first symptoms appeared and was diagnosed with a staph bacterial skin infection/nasal cellulitis. The doctor put me on seven days of 100 mg doxycycline hyclate twice daily. The next day, I felt worse with a fever, chills and generally feeling sick. I used ice packs and anti-inflammatories to help with the swelling. My nose also itched. Four days after I went to see the doctor, my condition was not improving and I went to the emergency room (ER). The ER doctor gave me 800 mg of prescription ibuprofen to take every eight hours. I was in so much pain, my nose felt broken. The doctor also wrote for five days of 100 mg doxycycline monohydrate twice daily, a stronger antibiotic than doxycycline hyclate. I was also told that I had an abscess inside my nose from the bacteria. The stronger antibiotic took care of the infection, and Ibuprofen really helped with the pain. In the end, it took two weeks for my nasal cellulitis to go away.

Comment from: sarahv.51, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

On Saturday afternoon my brother said to me 'You are getting a huge boil under your arm pit.' I had no idea until he said that and about an hour later it started to hurt a little. By Sunday morning I was in so much pain but my boyfriend thought I was just being a baby! Sunday night my arm was hurting so bad, I knew I was going to have trouble sleeping and so I did. I woke up at 2 am sweating and had the chills. My armpit was in so much pain I really couldn't move it without wanting to cry. I was running a fever so I took an Advil to take the fever down (and it did) but I told my boyfriend I am going to the emergency room (ER). At the ER they did an ultrasound and blood tests and told me that it was cellulitis. They gave me Tylenol for the pain and antibiotics, which I was directed to take 3 times a day 3 at a time for ten days and to go back to the ER in 48 hours for them to check it out and see if it has gotten worse.

Comment from: bud, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 29

I have a rash that started on my right inside knee. At first I thought it was poison ivy. After waiting a week and when the pain came I went to a doctor. I found I had a severe infection of cellulitis. They put me on antibiotics. It's been 7 days and the rash still is as large or larger. The itch has gone and now dry flaky skin on rash. I don't know if this is a sign of healing. I am really worried as the knee is still painful on the inside.

Comment from: Kat, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I went to a chiropodist on a Tuesday. She did a sort of pedicure on my feet, and at the end finished off with putting cream on my feet. The next day, my leg was very red and hot to the touch from the ankle up to my calf, all around my whole shin area. I also felt tired and lightheaded all day and night. I had a slight fever, but not confusion. I knew there was something wrong, it was obvious. I shouldn't have done this, but I waited another day before I got antibiotics for it. That day, my leg was very, very red and hot and all these red sores appeared. My ankle joints hurt and it felt like my shin bone hurt also. The tissues and muscles were extremely painful. The red sores were very painful to the touch also. The doctor who saw it, looked very concerned. He wrote me a prescription for antibiotics for 7 days (clindamycin 300 mg 4 times/day, as I am allergic to penicillin). He also told me to put Polysporin on my leg. He told me that if it wasn't better (or of course if it got any worse) in 24 hours, that I must go to the hospital emergency room for IV antibiotics. Wednesday to Saturday, my leg was very painful. From Thursday to Sunday, I was very sweaty. I didn't feel like I had a fever but I was majorly sweating. It was warm outside but not hot and I was sweating so much. But today (Sunday) on day 5, it is showing improvement. My leg is warm, rather than hot. The redness is still there. The red sores are still there but look better. It still hurts but not as bad as the other days. The problem now (on Sunday) is that my whole leg is now swollen. Even the area over my knee is swollen, but it's not red. I hope that the improvement in the lessening pain means that the infection is getting killed by the antibiotics, but the swelling is concerning me. I will be going back to my doctor this week. I have never ever had such an infection before.

Comment from: Annie, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I received the pneumonia vaccine and the next day had extreme pain in my upper arm. I could not move or touch my arm without being brought to tears. It wasn't until two days after the injection that I started to notice redness around the injection site. Over the next 24 hours, that redness spread rapidly. I called my doctor and he diagnosed me with cellulitis. He immediately put me on Keflex 500 mg, 4 a day for 7 days. So far, I have had 3 days of antibiotics and the redness is gone, however the pain is still present.

Must Read Articles Related to Cellulitis

Acne Acne is a red skin rash caused by several factors, including hormones and bacteria. Treatment involves washing skin with a mild cleanser once or twice daily, ap...learn more >>
Athlete's Foot
Athlete's Foot Athlete's foot is a superficial skin infection of the foot caused by a moldlike fungus.learn more >>
Chickenpox Chickenpox, also known as varicella, is a highly contagious infection that affects children. Most infections occur between the ages of 5-10 years and usually st...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cellulitis:

Cellulitis - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your cellulitis?