Viewer Comments: Cellulitis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cellulitis:

Cellulitis - Symptoms

The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?

Comment from: bud, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 29

I have a rash that started on my right inside knee. At first I thought it was poison ivy. After waiting a week and when the pain came I went to a doctor. I found I had a severe infection of cellulitis. They put me on antibiotics. It's been 7 days and the rash still is as large or larger. The itch has gone and now dry flaky skin on rash. I don't know if this is a sign of healing. I am really worried as the knee is still painful on the inside.

Comment from: Kat, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I went to a chiropodist on a Tuesday. She did a sort of pedicure on my feet, and at the end finished off with putting cream on my feet. The next day, my leg was very red and hot to the touch from the ankle up to my calf, all around my whole shin area. I also felt tired and lightheaded all day and night. I had a slight fever, but not confusion. I knew there was something wrong, it was obvious. I shouldn't have done this, but I waited another day before I got antibiotics for it. That day, my leg was very, very red and hot and all these red sores appeared. My ankle joints hurt and it felt like my shin bone hurt also. The tissues and muscles were extremely painful. The red sores were very painful to the touch also. The doctor who saw it, looked very concerned. He wrote me a prescription for antibiotics for 7 days (clindamycin 300 mg 4 times/day, as I am allergic to penicillin). He also told me to put Polysporin on my leg. He told me that if it wasn't better (or of course if it got any worse) in 24 hours, that I must go to the hospital emergency room for IV antibiotics. Wednesday to Saturday, my leg was very painful. From Thursday to Sunday, I was very sweaty. I didn't feel like I had a fever but I was majorly sweating. It was warm outside but not hot and I was sweating so much. But today (Sunday) on day 5, it is showing improvement. My leg is warm, rather than hot. The redness is still there. The red sores are still there but look better. It still hurts but not as bad as the other days. The problem now (on Sunday) is that my whole leg is now swollen. Even the area over my knee is swollen, but it's not red. I hope that the improvement in the lessening pain means that the infection is getting killed by the antibiotics, but the swelling is concerning me. I will be going back to my doctor this week. I have never ever had such an infection before.

Comment from: Annie, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I received the pneumonia vaccine and the next day had extreme pain in my upper arm. I could not move or touch my arm without being brought to tears. It wasn't until two days after the injection that I started to notice redness around the injection site. Over the next 24 hours, that redness spread rapidly. I called my doctor and he diagnosed me with cellulitis. He immediately put me on Keflex 500 mg, 4 a day for 7 days. So far, I have had 3 days of antibiotics and the redness is gone, however the pain is still present.

Comment from: Kitty, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I noticed slight pain and swelling in my middle finger. By the next day swelling had spread to the ring finger and middle finger. Redness started there and then rather rapidly spread down the back of my hand. I went to urgent care and they diagnosed cellulitis and prescribed clindamycin. I had no fever or other signs of sickness. I had to go back to urgent care about five days later. The swelling had spread to my index finger. I had another round of clindamycin which my primary care physician changed to doxycycline. That was a few weeks ago. I still have slight swelling and slight pain in the area bit subsequent blood tests didn't show any signs of infection.

Comment from: Judy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

Ten days ago, while spending a day at a flea market I got a severe sunburn on my face and lips that blistered. Two days later I was in severe pain in my right cheek and forehead, my lips were very red and swollen and there was a large fiery red spot on my cheek, just below my right eye. A trip to the doctor and I was diagnosed with facial cellulitis. I have been on antibiotics ever since and it is slowly getting a bit better, but still very painful, and my lips are cracked and they bleed. It has been a horrible experience, but it could have been much worse had I not sought treatment.

Comment from: ICNU, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I noticed a small pea bump under my armpit. Within 3 days it grew to the size of a plum. I felt sick, nauseous, couldn't move the arm at all, and just all over fatigue. I took my temperature and it was 101.8. So we went to Urgent Care, and after waiting there for 2 hours they then sent me to the emergency room (ER) because the abscess turned to cellulitis down my arm and chest. Great ER doctor, he knew I didn't have insurance so he didn't admit me. I have to go back tomorrow to get rechecked. I still feel awful. I've slept all day today and have noticed some weird symptoms, like loss of coordination. I stumble into things a lot now, my memory is shot, I have double vision, and just overall lethargy!

Must Read Articles Related to Cellulitis

Acne Acne is a red skin rash caused by several factors, including hormones and bacteria. Treatment involves washing skin with a mild cleanser once or twice daily, ap...learn more >>
Athlete's Foot
Athlete's Foot Athlete's foot is a superficial skin infection of the foot caused by a moldlike fungus.learn more >>
Chickenpox Chickenpox, also known as varicella, is a highly contagious infection that affects children. Most infections occur between the ages of 5-10 years and usually st...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cellulitis:

Cellulitis - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your cellulitis?