Viewer Comments: Cellulitis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cellulitis:

Cellulitis - Symptoms

The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?

Comment from: OldSport, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 01

I have just completed a 7 day hospital visit followed up by a further 2 weeks of Oral Anti-biotic Treatment for Cellulitis. Having cut the skin on my shins on a couple of occasions and thought nothing of it. I visited Sri Lanka on holiday and rather than seeing an improvement in the scars; when I returned, they had worsened and started to show signs of weeping. Having always been told to try and keep them open for the best form of recovery, in this instance it clearly did not help and the different environment, plus flights and everything else conspired to make the condition worse. Once the fever stared on my return, an immediate visit to the doctors started a process of recovery. After 3 weeks off work including 7 days of Hospitalization for IV drugs, I am almost there. Barring a bit of tiredness. The leg scarring is better and the moral of the story is look after yourself a bit better and you may prevent a further outbreak!

Comment from: Deb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I was just cleaning the house on a Friday morn and suddenly felt sick. I immediately laid down and began feeling feverish. My temp was about 99.1. and climbed to 105.1 within a few hours. My husband had to basically carry me to the car then to urgent care. They diagnosed me with the flu although nasal test was negative. I had a small bumpy, red rash on my lower leg and upper leg pain and had told the doctor this. He said viruses often cause rashes. The next day, I noticed a bright redness on my left upper and lower leg. Ultimately, I was admitted to the hospital and started on two different medications. Doppler ruled out DVT so it was determined to be cellulitis. While in hospital I could not bear weight on my left leg.

Comment from: murphy65, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 14

Almost two weeks ago, my daughter's dog jumped off her bed and hit the calf of her leg with his back paw. She noticed a large bruise that was painful, but never noticed the puncture would from his claw until she was on the floor and suddenly was in so much pain that she couldn't get up by herself. She immediately went to urgent care where he diagnosed her with cellulitis and gave her antibiotics. She is still experiencing as much pain in her leg as she did when it first occurred. She has gone to the doctor today. I hope and pray that she will be OK.

Comment from: bouter, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

Discoloration and inflammation.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I was diagnosed with cellulitis last month. I spent 2 days in hospital with IV antibiotic treatment and just finished 3 weeks of oral antibiotics at home. The fever is gone and most of the redness is gone, but I've still got bad swelling in the leg between the knee and ankle. Also have pains shooting through the leg several times a day. If swelling doesn't leave soon will have to go back to doctor and see what is wrong now.

Comment from: Kat, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

Initially I thought I thought I was coming down with the flu. I have a fever of 102 and horrible chills, sweating and nausea day one. Day two I was so lethargic I could barely get up to get a sip of water. Day three I had horrible lower leg pain, and it was hot, red, and swollen below the knee. I could not have anything touch it and could barely put weight on it. I went to urgent care that morning and was diagnosed with Cellulitis. Scary… as I am also diabetic type II.

Comment from: Howard, 65-74 (Patient) Published: September 13

My initial symptoms of cellulitis were redness in the middle of my finger and between the knuckles of my hand. Also, I had a blister that was filled with pus.

Comment from: glow, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

This site is really helpful. I have just got back from seeing my doctor, as I had noticed that I had a red raised line across my left leg on the shin with a dark red spot nearby it was painful but seemed to ease off a bit. The doctor has given me a prescription for antibiotics for cellulitis.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 27

Our 26 year old daughter's facial and orbital cellulitis started at 6 a.m. with swelling in the left eye and by 6 p.m. had spread into her other eye and forehead. The urgent care clinic physician gave her a shot and oral antibiotics. We took her to the ER and they admitted her. The condition worsened very quickly to the point that the upper 1/2 of her face, including her eyes was completely swollen - her eyes wouldn't open. She was hospitalized for 5 days on 2 IV antibiotics and then 6 days of home IV antibiotics, and another 5 days of oral meds 3x a day. Her infection was extremely bad. She has been out of the hospital a week and still has some pain over her left eye though no vision loss, and still very weak and fatigued. The physician says her infection was extremely bad and that she'll have some pain for awhile and it will take a couple of weeks to recover.

Must Read Articles Related to Cellulitis

Acne
Acne Acne is a red skin rash caused by several factors, including hormones and bacteria. Treatment involves washing skin with a mild cleanser once or twice daily, ap...learn more >>
Athlete's Foot
Athlete's Foot Athlete's foot is a superficial skin infection of the foot caused by a moldlike fungus.learn more >>
Chickenpox
Chickenpox Chickenpox, also known as varicella, is a highly contagious infection that affects children. Most infections occur between the ages of 5-10 years and usually st...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cellulitis:

Cellulitis - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your cellulitis?