Viewer Comments: Cervical Cancer - Diagnosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cervical Cancer:

Cervical Cancer - Diagnosis

Did you have any of the risk factors for cervical cancer at the time of your diagnosis? If so, what were they?

Comment from: wenmac, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

At the time of my diagnosis for cervical cancer, I noticed that I had very heavy bleeding and fibroids, as well as heavy bleeding during and after intercourse.

Comment from: ?yrdoctofeelgood, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 08

I am a smoker and I have been on "the pill" for more than five years. However, I was told that the precancerous cellular growth was caused by having sex on a regular basis (I had only one partner, not many) with not one word about HPV, smoking, etc. Now, this was 20 years ago, but the blanket statement scared the hell out of me and caused me to be fearful of sex in a loving, committed relationship that turned into marriage. It took me a while and a lot of work to get over it. I still think about it-but mostly I think: shame on you "doctor".

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I was diagnosed with endo-cervical cancer in 2001 at age 39. I had had yearly pap smears since age 19 and not one was abnormal. I was terrified at being told I had cancer. I sought out sites such as this to find someone else who had gone through it. Because I had had yearly pap smears the cancer was caught early and was still in situ (which means it had not spread). I had a hysterectomy and have been clear ever since (9 years) but I still get a pap smear every year as I know the HPV virus can affect the vaginal wall also. Good luck! Hope this helps you.

Must Read Articles Related to Cervical Cancer

Cancer Symptoms
Cancer Symptoms Most symptoms and signs of cancer may also be explained by harmless conditions, so it's important to limit one's risk factors and undergo appropriate cancer scr...learn more >>
Cancer: What You Need to Know
Cancer: What You Need to Know The news comes like a sledgehammer into the stomach: "I'm sorry to tell you, but you have cancer." Every year, a million Americans are devastated by news of can...learn more >>
Cervical Dysplasia
Cervical Dysplasia Cervical dysplasia is the presence of precancerous changes in the cells of the lining of the cervix. Cervical dysplasia is classified by two terms, squamous int...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cervical Cancer:

Cervical Cancer - Treatment

What was the treatment for your cervical cancer?

Cervical Cancer - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your cervical cancer?

Cervical Cancer - Experience

Please describe your experience with cervical cancer.