Viewer Comments: Cervical Cancer - Diagnosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cervical Cancer:

Cervical Cancer - Diagnosis

Did you have any of the risk factors for cervical cancer at the time of your diagnosis? If so, what were they?

Comment from: vesti, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I went for regular pap-smears since I was 18. I was told I had cervical cancer when I was 45. I had cervical changes two years prior and had a freezing of the cervix. My doctor thought that he took care of it, but it came back years later. I had glandular cervical cancer, which is inside the cervix, not on the outside. My doctor said it is rarer than the other. Well, I had a hysterectomy six months later. I'm thankful I had two children already so that wasn't an issue. Now I'm three years in the clear. You never know. I've also been married for 18 years and then I was told I had HPV. So girls, keep on getting checked. It saved my life!

Comment from: Savannah, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I had always been very careful about having regular, annual GYN check-ups. So it was in December that my doctor told me I had an irregular pap test result which indicated precancerous cells (stage II) were present. I knew from previous pelvic exams that I had apparently been born with a 'cervical lesion'. This had a tendency to cause infrequent, mild infections requiring antibiotics 2-3x's over a 10 year span. However, when I returned for a second pap test in February the cervical cancer had advanced to stage IV cancer. They initially did two cryogenic fezzes if the area which did not stop the cell growth. I also required a more radical procedure, punch biopsy to remove all cancerous cells surrounding the opening of my cervix. Thankfully, this treatment has produced normal pap tests ever since. On another note, I did not have any medical coverage at that time and the hospital provided full coverage under their "uncompensated medical services” policy. I believe all hospitals have some funds set aside for just such cases, but one must simply inquire (insist!) and fill-out appropriate forms. I urge all women to get regular pap tests. It could save your life.

Comment from: jmon42709, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I tested positive 3 years ago for the HPV virus. I have had only one abnormal pap smear in the past. I have had 2 husbands in 37 years. Which means that I have had 2 sex partners during that time. I am scared. I am also a survivor of bladder cancer with 4 surgeries for that cancer. I have been free for 3 and 1/2 years. I do not know which husband was the carrier. I am not mad at him for the symptoms are silent in men. I made the mistake of not having a new pap smear in 3 years. I lost my job and insurance so I could not afford it. I am scared. I want to learn more and pass the information to others who do not understand. That is the key/education. We must educate all ages. As I talk to people, at least 75% do not know what it is. That is scary. My grand daughter is going to be vaccinated. She just turned 15 years old. This is real!

Comment from: Tammy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

I am a DES daughter, smoke, took birth control, contracted HPV from my ex, and skipped 3 years of Paps. Today, during my Pap the doctor found a dime-sized mass. I asked for immediate biopsy. Now I won't know for 3 days. I am 51. I am a mother of 2, ages 36 and 9. Believe it or not I have a college degree and insurance. I just have no sense.

Comment from: Maurine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I recently had a hysterectomy for multiple fibroids. Coincidently, the histopathology results reviewed that I had cancer of the cervix. Unfortunately, I had had not done a Pap smear before to detect it earlier. My doctor advises radiotherapy as soon as possible.

Comment from: Sherry, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 16

I had cervical cancer in 2006. I took radiation and chemotherapy. I had radiation five days a week for 15 minutes. I too chemo for eight hour every Monday for 12 weeks, and then I was hospitalized for three days for more radiation. My doctors are finding that I might be developing radiation enteritis and I'm having uterine pain, for which my doctors gave me pain medication, which is no longer helping.

Comment from: adaughterasister, 19-24 Female Published: July 26

I'm 19 and I was just told that I'm already in stage 2 cervical cancer. I'm just starting my life on my own and now I'm scared for myself, let alone being scared of the thought of not being able to have children in the future. I'm nervous about what will happen. I'm strong and smart and I know I can get through this and YOU will, too. Strangely, my mother had this happen to her when she was my age. I'm happy to have her support through this hard and scary time in my life. I recommend that everyone stay on top of her paps, as this can happen to any woman at any time in her life. To anyone else who is going through this, I wish you the best.

Must Read Articles Related to Cervical Cancer

Cancer Symptoms
Cancer Symptoms Most symptoms and signs of cancer may also be explained by harmless conditions, so it's important to limit one's risk factors and undergo appropriate cancer scr...learn more >>
Cancer: What You Need to Know
Cancer: What You Need to Know The news comes like a sledgehammer into the stomach: "I'm sorry to tell you, but you have cancer." Every year, a million Americans are devastated by news of can...learn more >>
Cervical Dysplasia
Cervical Dysplasia Cervical dysplasia is the presence of precancerous changes in the cells of the lining of the cervix. Cervical dysplasia is classified by two terms, squamous int...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cervical Cancer:

Cervical Cancer - Treatment

What was the treatment for your cervical cancer?

Cervical Cancer - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your cervical cancer?

Cervical Cancer - Experience

Please describe your experience with cervical cancer.