Infectious causes of cervicitis are preventable by using common-sense, safe-sex practices.
- Limit your sexual contacts. Know your partner's sexual history. Make condoms a routine part of sex. Spermicides, in addition to condoms, probably help prevent cervicitis.
- Make sure you are treated immediately for vaginal infections before they spread to your cervix.
- Have a regular physical exams and Pap tests are recommended, regardless of whether or not you are experiencing any symptoms, especially if you are sexually active.
- Recommend that your partner be screened for STIs on a regular basis.
- Avoid chemical irritants in deodorized tampons, douches, or sprays.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 12/8/2014
Must Read Articles Related to Cervicitis
Chlamydia is a sexual transmitted disease (STD) transmitted when people have sexual relations. Often, there are no symptoms. Chlamydia is caused by the bacteriu...learn more >>
Ectopic pregnancy is a condition in which a pregnancy develops outside of a woman's uterus. Causes of ectopic pregnancy include previous Fallopian tube infectio...learn more >>
Genital herpes a highly infectious disease caused by a virus. learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cervicitis: