Viewer Comments: Chalazion (Lump in Eyelid) - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Chalazion (Lump in Eyelid):

Chalazion (Lump in Eyelid) - Treatment

What was the treatment for your chalazion?

Comment from: krsand, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 28

I have had one chalazion surgically removed. Now I have a second one, but it is still small, so I only treat it with warm compresses.

Comment from: Missy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I have had two surgeries to remove chalazions. The first time I was 15 years old, and the second time I was in my late twenties. I am now 62 and never had any since. The surgery was a piece of cake. It was just freezing and removal. Basically painless.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 31

I am in the process of having another chalazion surgically removed. This will be about the 10th time. I initially went the medication and compress route and they have never worked. The anticipation of surgery is worse than actual removal. The recovery time is minimal. Trust me, the discomfort of having them is far worse than the removal.

Comment from: HRC, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I had one removed last year. It was quick and painless. The worst part of the entire procedure was the shot to numb the area. It healed quickly and had no residual pain or problems.

Comment from: Sydney, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I was diagnosed chalazion and the doctor prescribed antibiotics to take orally 3 times a day and a medicated eye drop. I am supposed to do this for one week. He also told me to compress the eyelid with a warm towel a few minutes and massage the eye lid a few times a day. I am to return to the doctor if the condition does not improve after one week.

Comment from: AD, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I have a chalazion on my lower eye lid. It doesn't hurt, not swollen, just red, hard, like a little pebble-type lump or cyst. It just appeared about 2 weeks ago and at first it didn't bother me, but as time goes on, it becomes very itchy and hard against my eye. Warm compresses didn't work, and I got the eye drops today from my doctor, but I am scheduling an appointment ASAP to get it lanced. It is extremely irritating and I constantly feel like something is in my eye. I hope I don't get any more of them. My bet is to just have it surgically removed.

Comment from: malinqi, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 02

1. Incision and curettage. 2. Antibiotics.

Comment from: Nancy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

My chalazion was to be surgically removed, but when the doctor was numbing my eyelid the chalazion burst. The doctor then had to cut and clean out the area where the chalazion was. While doing this the doctor found two more on the same eyelid.

Comment from: dano, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 30

My ophthalmologist prescribed warm to hot moist packs on the eyelid 3 times/day until the swelling subsided, along with a mild topical antibiotic eye drops to be administered 4 times/day for a week.

Comment from: michel, 25-34 Published: July 19

One teaspoon of turmeric powder twice a day with plenty of water works for my chalazion. I also wash my face twice a day with gentle soap and warm water. Then gently massage my eye after I'm done washing my face. Not for very long, only 10 to 15 seconds and after two days of doing this the lump is almost invisible and the swellings gone.

Comment from: 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 16

I have a two year old that the Dr. told me today he had a chalazion on his upper eyelid as well as pinkeye. They don't actually sit still for a wash cloth on their eye. He has been good so far with the drops.

Comment from: 35-44 (Patient) Published: May 11

I have had mine for over 6 weeks now so went to doctors and he is referring me for surgery. I am trying the hot compresses in the meantime.

Must Read Articles Related to Chalazion (Lump in Eyelid)

Sty (Stye)
Sty A stye (sty) is an infection of the eyelid, resulting from a blocked oil gland. Seborrhea, improper eye makeup removal, use of infected cosmetics, poor eyelid h...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Chalazion (Lump in Eyelid):

Chalazion(Lump in Eyelid) - Pain

Did your chalazion cause any pain?

Chalazion (Lump in Eyelid) - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your chalazion?

Chalazion (Lump in Eyelid) - Home Remedies

What were the effective home remedies for your chalazion (lump in eyelid)?