Viewer Comments: Chalazion (Lump in Eyelid) - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Chalazion (Lump in Eyelid):

Chalazion (Lump in Eyelid) - Treatment

What was the treatment for your chalazion?

Comment from: Carol, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I just had my 5th surgery for chalazions yesterday. One upper, and one lower. It is the first time my Dr. put me out. I have been awake 4 times. I believe my previous scar tissue is why I keep getting them. I do like the recommendation of exercising to help increase body temperature. Three years ago, I used warm compresses so often that it popped from the outside. Once it had a scab, I ripped it off and got it was gone. I tried that again, to no avail. Thanks for all of your recommendations.

Comment from: She isn't a MONSTER, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 14

My fifteen year old daughter has MULTIPLE chalazions on her eyelids. They have been there for 18 months. She has done warm compresses and antibiotic eye ointment for the entire time. She has been on oral antibiotic for the past two months (1 month of Keflex and now Doxycycline). We have seen a little improvement and have a month of antibiotics left. We are praying she heals completely and that they NEVER come back. It is difficult for her at such a sensitive age group but believe it or not it is more difficult for me to hear her say she looks like a MONSTER.

Related Reading: Doxycycline

Comment from: Summer, 65-74 Female Published: September 20

I have a chalazion on my top eyelid at the moment and am applying moist warm compresses twice a day along with an antibiotic. It has gone down in size considerably although I'm not certain it is going away completely and I am going away for a week. Before I began the compresses it was so large and it felt like something was in my eye but I am hopeful it will disappear. Eye makeup (liner) needs to be removed ladies each night to keep your eyelids free. Not sure if that was my problem but it certainly didn't help.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I first discovered having chalazion two weeks ago after having that lump on my upper eyelid for four months. The doctor highly doubts that it will go away even with warm washcloth on it twice a day. I am scheduled for surgery in three weeks. I am very nervous.

Comment from: medea, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

My opthalmologist never used the term "chalazion," but it bothered me so that he peeked at it, then sent me home with ointment. A month later it was sore, huge, infected, and just painful. Yesterday he cut it out of me. It was the most painful event I've had thus far! He dug and dug and cut, snipped, and sliced his way down deep into my lower lid. Then he told his nurse to send if off to a pathologist to “check.” I get into this site after being able to deal with blinking not hurting and voila. I see that what I had “ a chalazion. Here's the weird thing. I got it after getting a gift of eyeliners for my birthday in October. A few weeks after using this new makeup (I've been makeup free for decades), I started noticing a small lump right around the pore of my eyelash. I will NEVER wear eye liner again! -- Medea

Comment from: roger, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

I have had several bouts of these lumps. On more than one occasion, I have had to have them surgically removed.

Comment from: Chalazion1, Female (Patient) Published: December 14

I have had this condition on and off for about 2 years now. Sometimes they hurt but they usually go away on their own. I had no idea this is what it was until I saw this article. I'll try the hot compresses as I have two non-painful ones that have been ongoing for several days. Hopefully they will go away soon.

Comment from: Lookie, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 19

I had a chalazion that did not go away and I had to have doctors operate. The chalazion came back and the doctors did not wanted to operate. I tried and antibiotic for seven days and it did not work. Then instead of going to the ophthalmologist I went to a dermatologist and he gave me Cipro, which worked for me.

Comment from: kumar, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 11

My chalazion was surgically removed from the eyelid. It took about 15 minutes. Local anesthesia was used. Some pain was felt due to the injection given for anesthesia. There is no guarantee that it will not occur again. I was prescribed eye drops to avoid infection during healing period.

Must Read Articles Related to Chalazion (Lump in Eyelid)

Sty (Stye)
Sty A stye (sty) is an infection of the eyelid, resulting from a blocked oil gland. Seborrhea, improper eye makeup removal, use of infected cosmetics, poor eyelid h...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Chalazion (Lump in Eyelid):

Chalazion (Lump in Eyelid) - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your chalazion?

Chalazion (Lump in Eyelid) - Treatment

What was the treatment for your chalazion (lump in eyelid)?

Chalazion(Lump in Eyelid) - Pain

Did your chalazion cause any pain?