Viewer Comments: Chalazion(Lump in Eyelid) - Pain

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Chalazion (Lump in Eyelid):

Chalazion(Lump in Eyelid) - Pain

Did your chalazion cause any pain?

Comment from: NKeeper, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

I believe I have a Chalazion in my right eye. However, it causes me no pain. I noticed it about a year ago, just near the crease. If I press it, it feels like a little stone under the skin. I'm going to try applying ginger compress (hopefully avoiding it going into my eye). My mother had the same thing at my age and this treatment worked for her.

Comment from: K.F., 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

A chalazion is no doubt painful. It's the worst pain I've ever suffered. My doctor prescribed an antibiotic. After using it, I got little relief. Now my doctor is saying that he needs to operate.

Comment from: CAT, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

Yes, my chalazion caused pain. It is like a pimple or boil that will not drain. In the early stages it feels tingly and hurts a little, but by the second or third day, it is swollen and painful. Over several days I noticed a white like tip/pimple or cyst covering a duct. This can become chronic and continue over several months in both eyes.

Comment from: Paul mac, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 05

I have a chalazion the last few weeks. I have been using hot compress a few times a day and also antibiotic drops my GP prescribed. And this may sound strange but I have also been putting a cold used teabag on my eye for about half an hour straight after the hot compress and once I began using the teabag the lump went down considerably but not completely.

Comment from: mvelez8735, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I initially had a Chalazion which now has turned into a lesion that keeps draining. It comes and goes for more than nine months. And yes, now nine months later, it filled up again with no warning within one day and it hurts like a lot. I have been applying warm compresses and antibiotic ointment. My eye lid is very swollen and painful. I have had surgery at least 8 times and cortizone once. It still keeps coming back!

Comment from: Kat62, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

I have a chalazion that has been there for 4 years. It has become very painful in the last 2 years. My doctor was of no help either. I thought it was a stye and twice I went to the doctor to remove it and she said it was too small, without even looking at it. I finally found a good doctor yesterday and I am removing it. I had never heard of a chalazion and mine did not react well to warm compresses or eye drops. The doctor said it is because it's encapsulated and nothing will penetrate it. I am looking forward to no more eye pain and make-up that will stay on because my eye won't tear up so much. Good Luck.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

My chalazion causes pain when I blink hard.

Comment from: lena, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

My chalazion was very painful. I used warm moist compresses and lots of acetaminophen, which made it bearable but barely. My doctor was not helpful at all.

Comment from: 2011, 55-64 (Caregiver) Published: February 04

My husband has had problems with styes lately. This time it was a chalazion. He applied the warm, moist towels the first week, three to four times a day. When he stopped the warm compresses it started swelling and getting tender, swelling and growing. I insisted he resume the warm compresses every hour or so (pop it in the microwave on a clean plate). This process brought it to a head and it started empting pus on its own. Perhaps warm compress are needed more than four times a day. Best of luck to all!

Comment from: RAH, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

I had a chalazion in 1998 the warm compresses didn't work so I had the surgery. It was very quick and painless. I have another right now and it's actually easier to have it removed than it is to stand around the sink 3 times a day with a warm washcloth.

Comment from: chris, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 19

I had two chalazions in the same eye at the same time. One in the upper and lower eyelid. My ophthalmologist only numbed both my eyelids to do the surgery. The procedure was very painful, you can feel everything. Of course now a few months later mine are coming back.

Must Read Articles Related to Chalazion (Lump in Eyelid)

Sty (Stye)
Sty A stye (sty) is an infection of the eyelid, resulting from a blocked oil gland. Seborrhea, improper eye makeup removal, use of infected cosmetics, poor eyelid h...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Chalazion (Lump in Eyelid):

Chalazion (Lump in Eyelid) - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your chalazion?

Chalazion (Lump in Eyelid) - Home Remedies

What were the effective home remedies for your chalazion (lump in eyelid)?

Chalazion (Lump in Eyelid) - Treatment

What was the treatment for your chalazion?