Viewer Comments: Chalazion (Lump in Eyelid) - Pain

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Chalazion (Lump in Eyelid):

Chalazion (Lump in Eyelid) - Pain

Did your chalazion cause any pain?

Comment from: bhanu jyothi, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I have two: one in my upper and one in my lower lids. I have undergone a surgery last week but when I went today doctor told that there was another chalazion in the lower lid and a stye in the upper lid. I got two steroid shots.

Comment from: Mamone, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 13

I had cataract surgery 12 days ago. The bump on my eyelid was there immediately following the surgery. I suspect the eyelid got squeezed by the apparatus they put on the lid to hold it open. Three days after the surgery, the bump remained and became red and swollen. The pain was under the eyelid, and felt like an eyelash or foreign item was under the lid. It is causing pressure on the recent surgery beside the iris and is getting worse. Compresses only make it fell better for an hour or so. I saw the GP today who says it is now an infected chalazion. Today I am going back to the surgeon to have it removed.

Comment from: mimi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

Heck yes it hurt! I don't know who is the doctor who decided chalazions are not painful. Due to the fact that the "head" (if you will) of the chalazion is actually on the back side of your lid... so if the head is hardened, it feels like a particle of glass is in your eye, each time you blink! I had one 12 years ago, and the doctor removed it. When it healed (the incision had scabbed right down to the line where your lashes meet) when the scab came off, it took off about 1/4 inch section of eyelashes, and eyelashes never grew back. Good luck to anyone with these nasty things!

Comment from: NKeeper, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

I believe I have a Chalazion in my right eye. However, it causes me no pain. I noticed it about a year ago, just near the crease. If I press it, it feels like a little stone under the skin. I'm going to try applying ginger compress (hopefully avoiding it going into my eye). My mother had the same thing at my age and this treatment worked for her.

Comment from: K.F., 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

A chalazion is no doubt painful. It's the worst pain I've ever suffered. My doctor prescribed an antibiotic. After using it, I got little relief. Now my doctor is saying that he needs to operate.

Comment from: CAT, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

Yes, my chalazion caused pain. It is like a pimple or boil that will not drain. In the early stages it feels tingly and hurts a little, but by the second or third day, it is swollen and painful. Over several days I noticed a white like tip/pimple or cyst covering a duct. This can become chronic and continue over several months in both eyes.

Comment from: Paul mac, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 05

I have a chalazion the last few weeks. I have been using hot compress a few times a day and also antibiotic drops my GP prescribed. And this may sound strange but I have also been putting a cold used teabag on my eye for about half an hour straight after the hot compress and once I began using the teabag the lump went down considerably but not completely.

Comment from: mvelez8735, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I initially had a Chalazion which now has turned into a lesion that keeps draining. It comes and goes for more than nine months. And yes, now nine months later, it filled up again with no warning within one day and it hurts like a lot. I have been applying warm compresses and antibiotic ointment. My eye lid is very swollen and painful. I have had surgery at least 8 times and cortizone once. It still keeps coming back!

Comment from: Kat62, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

I have a chalazion that has been there for 4 years. It has become very painful in the last 2 years. My doctor was of no help either. I thought it was a stye and twice I went to the doctor to remove it and she said it was too small, without even looking at it. I finally found a good doctor yesterday and I am removing it. I had never heard of a chalazion and mine did not react well to warm compresses or eye drops. The doctor said it is because it's encapsulated and nothing will penetrate it. I am looking forward to no more eye pain and make-up that will stay on because my eye won't tear up so much. Good Luck.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

My chalazion causes pain when I blink hard.

Must Read Articles Related to Chalazion (Lump in Eyelid)

Eye Pain
Eye Pain Eye pain has many causes, signs, symptoms, and treatments. It's also described as pain behind the eye, eye socket pain, or shooting pain in the eye. learn more >>
Sty (Stye)
Sty A stye (sty) is an infection of the eyelid, resulting from a blocked oil gland. Seborrhea, improper eye makeup removal, use of infected cosmetics, poor eyelid h...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Chalazion (Lump in Eyelid):

Chalazion (Lump in Eyelid) - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your chalazion?

Chalazion (Lump in Eyelid) - Home Remedies

Do you know of any effective home remedies for chalazia?

Chalazion (Lump in Eyelid) - Treatment

What was the treatment for your chalazion?